“Decent hotel, but brought down by a few negatives” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Rochester, New York
1,710 reviews 1,710 reviews
“Decent hotel, but brought down by a few negatives”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First of all, I'd like to say that this hotel really isn't a bad place to stay, especially for the price. But it does have some negatives that should be discussed, along with the positives. First of all, most of the rooms in the hotel are in the upper building, and are arranged in a large rectangle surrounding the inside pool atrium. This is a two-floor building, and there is NO ELEVATOR OR RAMP GOING TO THE SECOND FLOOR, so if you are handicapped, this is a non-starter. Even the rooms on the first floor are tough for a wheelchair to access. You'd have to get a room in the lower building.

There also aren't many rooms with king beds; most are two queens, so that's another down point. One other thing to mention is that this hotel runs out of things quickly. The pool supposedly has towels for the swimmers, and asks the swimmers NOT to bring their room towels. Yet the pool, more often than not, is out of towels. If you call the main desk, they will bring them up in about 20-30 minutes, but they seem "put out" when you ask them to do so.

The same thing is true at the complimentary breakfast, which isn't a bad meal for the price of the room. But they run out of things and sometimes take quite a while to replace them. This happened with the eggs yesterday. This morning, when someone asked about getting more fruit in the fruit bowl, the attendant simply replied that "they had run out by 7:30 AM," and it was now 9:00 AM. Well...then get more fruit!!! Nope, it never happened.

That being said, some of the service was actually quite good. The front desk attendant gave us a lot of good info about restaurants and things that were going on around town. Also, housekeeping brought my wife a phone charger for free to replace the one that she had lost, so that was a positive note too.

BTW, this hotel is NOT on Main Street but requires about a half-mile walk to get into town. But it's an easy stroll (with a couple of hills), and the sidewalk is in good shape the entire way.

All told, this is a decent hotel that costs less than many of the other local hotels, and I would return there, accepting the inconsistent service as a price of the reduced rate. It really isn't that bad of a place.

Room Tip: If you have kids, get an inside room on the first floor of the upstairs building. That way, they wil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Atlantic City area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband had an art show in Lake Placid, so I went online and ended up (blindly, because it was one of the bidding sites) getting this place across the street from his show at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts. We were only going to stay for three nights, but extended our stay one more night. I love the neighborhood; it's a vibrant community with an arts center, several restaurants, and a health food store (Green Goddess) close by.

I also LOVE the location in general. You're high up the side of a hill, next to a lake, with free paddle boats/canoes/kayaks. I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoyed paddle boating with my husband (tips: check the weather report before you go out, watch for rain, and bring sunscreen and drinking water)! Our room was one of the front-facing rooms, with a sliding glass/screen door, little deck, and two chairs. The mountain breeze coming in the room was so healing and restful.

We're vegetarians, but we made do with oatmeal, mixed berries, watermelon slices, and orange/cranberry juice on the breakfast bar.

The room was just okay. Without the screen door open to let in fresh breeze, the room would have been very musty for us. One of the beds was a little itchy. We brought a sleeping bag in case of something like this, we've traveled a lot and are used to dealing with budget hotels, and so we had tea tree oil (kills mites) ready to go. The staff was so eager to help us (especially the housekeeping staff) that it made up for any failings in the room, however.

Amenities: The mini-fridge has a little freezer compartment; it's not a tiny cube. There's also a microwave, coffee maker, and hair dryer. We tried the jacuzzi after taking a swim in the lake. We much preferred the lake water over the chlorinated water, but that's just us! The kids staying at the hotel seemed to love the pool.

I always have to use my phone wifi when I'm traveling. Don't expect high speeds on the hotel wifi. That's pretty normal, though. I can't remember the last time I had a great connection in a hotel.

Summary: it's kind of a basic hotel, sure. It just is what it is. But the lake and fresh mountain air are very big pluses for us. We had very good experiences with all the staff, too. Five stars for location and service. We're all adults here: you get what you pay for! If you want a perfect hotel in the high season in Lake Placid, you'll pay 3-4 times what we did!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a paddle boat/canoe/kayak! You're on a lake connected to Lake Placid. It's...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was "dog friendly", but after staying here I felt like it was not. Upon arrival and after a very unfriendly greeting, I was told there was a $15 charge per dog, $30 total! (we've stayed at other, nicer comfort inns with not pet charge at all) On top of this, upon checking my credit card statement, I was double billed on the extra "dog fee" for a total of $60! We were also asked to provide vaccination records for both dogs which is pretty ridiculous and then told that they are not allowed to be left unattended in the room at any time. I'm so glad we lugged two crates around the country in our car to be told that.

I also felt that because we had pets we were given the designated "dog room" as we received a room that was musty smelling and had the most disgusting carpet that was pulling away from the floor as you walked in and showed exposed plywood. I took a photo of it just in case staff tried to accuse my dogs of wrecking their beautiful carpet.

The rooms are also extremely outdated and in need of repair. We were on the road for two weeks on vacation staying in various comparable hotels across Canada and the US (this was one of the most expensive), and the Comfort Inn Lake Placid was the worst room by a longshot.

If you are staying in Lake Placid, find another hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were in town for the Ironman. The hotel is perfectly located for either a quick drive or a leisurely walk (a mile+) to all the action.

We stayed in one of the lower level rooms that opened up to the lake. It was extremely outdated in every way imaginable, BUT it was clean and comfortable with 2 queens, a huge closet, a mini fridge, etc. Probably one of my favorite features was the duck family that lived outside our door. They were so friendly that I even picked one up! I heard them "honk" a couple times but despite their friendliness they were not a nuisance.

For IMLP this is a great place to stay. We would return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Martinsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our second stay at this location. This is a nice property conveniently located to provide access to a number of outdoor activities. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The staff was personable. We had a lovely view from our room. Boating on Paradox Bay available

Room Tip: Nice views from the separate upper building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in 1979 when it was a Howard Johnsons, and again last week. It's better now. The value for me was that they had the full breakfast and better yet a couple of canoes, paddleboats, and rowboats - all at no extra charge. Bkfst is pretty std throughout the chain - but most don't back up to Lake Placid. One of the canoes was missing the center seat, so it was no good for solo use. A minor fix.

Room Tip: Rather than stay in the rooms facing the indoor pool (which have no view of the mountains, I stayed...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

At last minute lucky to find room here for ironman this past weekend. My son participated in event and I volunteered in men transition tent. Inn met our needs, but price was inflated due to event. Interior room was large and quiet. Breakfast was good. Staff pleasant and helpful. About 1.5 miles from mirror lake up and down big hill. Easy walk if parking an issue in village. Access to lake placid with free paddle boats and canoes - nice area for picnic. Right on main road but most rooms up a hill so road traffic not an issue. Free USA today and Wall Street journal made for good reading. Provides wifi but my iPad kept getting dropped. No AT&T cell service inside room. On balance a good choice if reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Get outside room, as interior rooms overlook pool and not sure how quiet they would be at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Lake Placid? Share your experiences!