“Econo Lodge, Lk. Placid, NY 12946” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Cortland, New York
“Econo Lodge, Lk. Placid, NY 12946”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

A good basic, quite nite rest on comfortable (firm) bedding, with free lite breakfast..if you can find it in the basement (n0 signs), nice indoor pool & hot tub. A car is nice for walk to town is over a mile. There are some nice restaurants before town. Hotel is easy to find, just off main road.

Room Tip: We had room facing the back.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Utica, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel has the basics, nothing special, rather spartan. I stayed here overnight on Feb. 8 because it was part of a travel package.
When I checked in to my room in late afternoon, I couldn't feel the heat. I tried to figure out the old-fashioned heater (it had 3 knobs), then I called the front desk and he sent maintenance right away. The heater worked fine after that, but it was too hot overnight and I slept on top of the bed. There is no thermostat or any way to determine the temperature of the room. The knobs, if they work, can be rotated to "warmer" or "cooler."
Shortly after checking in, I wanted to go out to dinner. I was disappointed that the staff was not knowledgeable about local restaurants and activities. Also, my friends and I wanted to catch the free shuttle/trolley into town. The clerk told us it ran every half hour, but when it didn't show up on time, I happened to read the schedule on the wall and it said the shuttle only runs on the hour after 5 p.m. Another clerk, who works part-time for the shuttle, suggested that the shuttle might not be running because of the poor weather that night. There were eight of us who had come up on a bus and had no cars and we were upset to think we couldn't get into the village for dinner. The clerk said the shuttle company had no office and no dispatcher, but she had a cell phone number for some of the drivers. At first, she seemed unwilling to help us, but later got in touch with someone. The shuttle came eventually, but as we discovered the next day, too, they aren't necessarily on time. However, they are free and it is a good idea to leave your car at the hotel and avoid the crowded parking lots and limited parking space downtown.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, a spacious room. There is no elevator, so you have to carry your luggage...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel. The rate was cheap (90$) and there is an indoor pool. We had room 117 near the entrance. This is a room for persons in wheelchair. The bathroom is spacious and well equipped. The room was fine for the price, nothing fancy but it did the job. Even if we turn the heater on, the night was a bit cold. At this price we would go back for a short stay.

Room Tip: Take a romm on the second floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Mostly, you get what you pay for. There is nothing outstanding about this hotel, nothing extremely and you could tell that they haven't renovated in a while. However, if you're visiting Lake Placid, the hotel should be the last thing you should worry about in terms of achieving class, the way I see it. As long as the beds are clean and comfortable and the rooms are well isolated, that's all that matters, since the only time you should be staying there is at night.
The "spa" and breakfast are nothing special, to be honest. Out of all the hotels that I've ever stayed in, which offered a continental breakfast, this breakfast was the most limited in terms of food choice.
Going back to the main point though, the beds were great and the concrete walls made the isolation from other rooms perfect. This is what I mostly paid for and this is what I got. Hence, the rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Oh boy...4 of Us went to lake placid to see stars on ice. This is a very busy ski weekend, New Year's Eve weekend. All hotels were no vacancy or minimum 2 nights. Booked Econo lodge through hotels.com & was able to book just one night. The non-smoking room stunk like cigarettes! Outdated & gross. Ancient heating system. We asked to be moved & they did accommodate us to better smelling room but still outdated. Coffee maker didn't work. Blow dryer didn't work. Pillows were flatter than a pancake. Thank God we only booked one night. Would not be going back there.

• Stayed December 2012
Clark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Of all my years of traveling, I was never so pleased while makng a reservation on the phone with Barbara. She mentioned that a Sports team would also be staying there and suggested other accommodations to meet our needs. When arriving to Lake Placid 2 hours before check in, I called the hotel and Barbara answered the phone. She said it wouldn't be a problem checking in early and was looking forward to meeting us! Upon arrival, my husband and I were treated like Royalty. Our room was very clean and the beds were so comfortable. The waffles and hot coffee was an excellent way to start off the morning. Highly recommended place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask Barbara - she knows the rooms and meet your needs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Albany, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My boyfriend, parents and I stayed here recently for one night after running the Adirondack Ragnar Relay. We wanted a place close to where the race finished so we could relax after the race. The beds were super comfortable. We also checked out the hot tub too which was nice. We took advantage of the breakfast the next morning and they had a make your own waffle station which was really pretty cool, and it the waffles were good! It was a nice hotel for a decent price. I would stay here again if I run the race next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Lake Placid? Share your experiences!