I have been going to Lake Placid for quite a few years. I have stayed at some small town motels and resorts, but of all the hotels, the Best Western Golden Arrow (soon to change the name to I don't know what) was a great hotel with excellent location.
I especially enjoy the view from the lobby with its grand chalet style atmosphere. I have styed here twice and both times, I chose the lake view side. It really is the only way to enjoy the serene beauty of Mirror Lake and the surrounding High peaks reigion of the Adirondack Mountains. The hotel is situated right on the edge of Mirror Lake in the center of Lake Placid Olympic Village. The hotel is right on the Main rd and convenientwalking distance to everything in the village.
The hotel offers complementary boats )row boats, kayaks, peddle boats, & canoes) for it's patrons, which is great when you want to really be alone on a peaceful lake to just take it all in or to have a romantic boat ride or to just spend quality time with your family. This is probably the best thing that the hotel offers as it really is an experience that needs to be taken in. No motorized boats are allowed on Mirror Lake, but they are allowed on nearby Lake Placid which is a much larger horsehoe style lake.
As far as the rooms and service. The staff seemd very friendly and helpful both trimes I stayed there. The rooms were okay. I have stayed in better rooms, but I didn't plan staying my whole vacation in my room. The 2 bed rooms only had 2 full size beds which makes it more difficult for 2 people to sleep in one bed (especially since we are used to King sized. They do have King Sized beds in some rooms, but not a 2 bed room. Even 2 queens would suffice. the bottom floor hallway is not the most pleasant smelling areas, but the room did not smell. Maybe someone spilled something. The Hotel also has special rooms for Dog owners.
The hotel also has a private roped in beach with real beach sand for the little ones so you don't miss out much on the Jersey, LI, or Cape Cod shores.
The restuarant on the main street is probably one of the best kid friendly eateries in town.
This is truly an all year round place with so much to do. The Adirondack High Peaks region are some of the most beautiful peaceful mountains in the country. This is a very underated village for summertime, but I enjoy it there more in the spring, summer, & fall when the real beauty of the Adirondacks shines, than in the winter when it transforms into the winter sports capital of the NorthEast with Skiing/Snowboarding, snowmobiling, skating, bobsledding, ski jumping, and much more.
During the other seasons, the region has some of the best novice to advanced mountain climbing in the NorthEast. This region is a photographers dream. There many natural beauties to take in; the High Falls Groge, Ausable Chasms, and Whiteface Mnt (which has a 12 mile road that you can drive to the top, you can hike up, or ride a gondola to Little Whiteface) just to name a few. If you enjoy more of a challenge, Mt Marci and the other High Peaks are nearby.
If you have youg children, there is the original Santa's Workshop in North Pole, NY, around the area or Upper Jay. The rides there are primarily for young children and they get to meet real reindeer.
I have styed at other places ( the Lake Placid Resiort, now called the Crowne Plaza Resort) which was nice...especially the Chalets that are between 250-500 per night. They are great for a romantic weekend getaway with a real wood fireplace in the living room and full sized hot tub surrounded by mirrors, right in the Master bedroom and a 2nd story loft with 2 twin beds. Other than that, the walk up the extremely steep hill of stairs (proably like 100 of them) made walking back from the village more of a task than a pleasure and the 3 resort golf courses are not right on premises, you either have to drive or wait for the shuttle....another inconvenice.
Overall, if you plan on going to Lake Placid and want the convenience of great views, great lake access, convenient main st access, free recreation, and peaceful pleasure, try the Best Western Golden Arrow. For 200+ per night it is a pretty good hotel. I would like it even more if the rooms had larger beds, but it is Lake Placid and it is more expensive than other areas so 200 per night on the lake is a good deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “The Only thing we Overlook is the Lake.” Surrender yourself to the untouched beauty of the Adirondack Mountains at the first resort in the United States to receive the Audubon’s Society highest Platinum Eco Rating for Hotels. It’s a place to renew yourself on the serene shores of Mirror Lake, and a place to thrill yourself, just moments from the famed Olympic Village at the heart of Lake Placid, New York. We are proud to offer Deluxe Accommodations as well as over 20 different kinds of suites and specialty rooms. All of our rooms are 100% smoke free, our lake front rooms above ground level have private balconies, and the ground level rooms have large glass doors leading out to a patio. Don’t forget your pup because we are a Pet Friendly resort. The Golden Arrow has an indoor pool, steam bath, two whirlpool hot tubs, and sauna. There is also a private white sand beach that is the perfect place to take in a magnificent panorama of the Adirondack Mountains. In the summer there are complimentary kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats available, we also have an authentic Italian Gondola that can be taken out for a minimal charge. In the winter you can ski, skate, and even take a dog sled ride on Mirror Lake right out our back door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Arrow Lakeside Hotel Lake Placid
- Hotel Golden Arrow Lakeside
- Golden Arrow Lake Placid