“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

You added Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort to your Saves list
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2559 Main St, Lake Placid, NY 12946 (Formerly Golden Arrow Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Spring BOGO Sale
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

The hotel is in the center of the village which is ideal. The view from the lobby is breathtaking. We had stayed for 4 nights. The first two were spent on the village side of the hotel; we couldn't upgrade because the hotel was all booked from some hockey training going on. We were told by one woman that we could upgrade to a lakeview room suite for the last two nights of our stay, seeing that it was going to be after the crowd of people were all leaving sunday, at a discounted rate. When we went down to the front desk on sunday, the man working there said he could not give us a discount on the room price. The hotel was dead, there was nobody there. You would think they would want some extra money than none at all. They allowed us to view the suite rooms first before going ahead and paying the extra expensive upgrade. The suite was not that spectacular. I was expecting it to be a complete overhaul from the deluxe rooms. It was the same bed coverings (the kind you need to bring your own blanket to lay on) the same dirty carpets (with cheese doodles in the corners) --- definately not worth the extra money. The worst part, though, was the fact that when I had called them on our way home on checkout day to tell them I had left my Mary Kay makeup bag behind the bathroom door which was filled with a few hundred dollars worth of makeup and when rolled out is 3 feet long, they did everything in their power to defend the housekeeper. The only people who had access to that room were myself, my spouse, and the housekeeper. It's not a bag you can carry around with you in your purse, therefore, if I don't have it in my luggage or in my car, the only other place it could be is the hotel. Of course, the housekeeper denied any such finding and the hotel defended the housekeeper as if she could never do any wrong. I know for a fact it was left in that room, hanging up on the hook behind the bathroom door. They never even compensated me for my "loss" and made it seem as if I missplaced it and that it will show up somewhere in my possession in the months to come. Horrible customer satisfaction. I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family. If I was shown some honesty or some owning up to the fact that it was taken, maybe this review would be a pleasant one instead of what it is.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay however, I do have to note some glaring discrepancies in your account.

Obviously the most important issue is the missing makeup bag. I have no doubt that you are not in possession of the bag & have misplaced it somewhere. I understand how that would be upsetting. You made that very clear as you were speaking with myself, my front desk manager, my executive housekeeper & her assistant over the past few days. We have torn this hotel apart searching diligently for that bag & have turned up nothing. We spoke to the housekeeper immediately after you called to report it missing, searched her cart, the closet, lost & found, laundry & were unable to locate it. This particular housekeeper has been with us for some time & has never had any incident or occurrence of anything"going missing" on her watch. I have no reason to suspect her of thievery, lying or any other deception that you clearly think took place. It was clear when I spoke to you that you were looking for compensation for the missing item. However, there is no indication, aside from your memory that the last time you saw the bag it was hanging on the back of the bathroom door, that anything illicit took place. Let me relay an example of something that happened here a few years ago. A woman called insisting that she lost her engagement ring. She initially thought that when she put it on the nightstand beside the bed before she went to sleep that it may have fallen to the floor. She did not think of it again until the next day as they were driving home & she noticed the ring was not on her finger. She called frantically asking us to look through the room. We immediately searched the room, moving the furniture, lifting the mattresses, crawling on hands & knees on the floor looking for the ring. We were not able to locate it. The next day she called again accusing the housekeeper of finding it & stealing it. We again searched to room, questioned the housekeeper. She called the police to file a report accusing the housekeeper of taking her ring. She was positive that she had left it on the nightstand & absolutely convinced that someone at our resort had found it & taken it. Two days later her husband was cleaning out his toiletry kit & there was the ring. She had, in fact, taken it off in the bathroom (to lotion her hands, she later told us) & dropped it into his bag so it would not accidentally fall into the sink or be lost. For three days she was absolutely convinced that she had left the ring on the nightstand & it was only after it was found that she realized that her memory was from the previous evening.
Guests leave all sorts of items behind all the time, & not always where you would think. I can not tell you how many pairs of skis we have found in our parking garage or how much clothing in the pool area. When things go missing we have a thorough search policy. When our staff find things there is a lost & found reporting procedure. I believe my staff is trustworthy (obviously). If there is a reason to doubt a staff member we certainly pursue it. However in this case, the only thing casting doubt is your recollection.
Your second issue was the unsatisfactory suite upgrade. I have looked back at your account & you did not upgrade to a suite. You upgraded to a deluxe room (which is the same kind of room you were in initially) on the lakeside instead instead of the village side. The "extra expensive upgrade" fee that you mentioned totalled $20. In addition to that you were on a stay 3 nights, get the 4th night free package. Since the 4th night was already free, no additional discounts were applicable (as it clearly says on our website). If you had wanted the discounted rate, you would have had to pay for all 4 nights which would have been a significantly larger amount of money that the $20 upgrade fee that you chose to pay. We did not force you to switch rooms. You could have stayed where you were at the lower rate if you wished.
Finally, you never reported to us on any of your 4 nights here that either of your rooms was not satisfactorily cleaned. During your numerous interactions with my staff, I would have thought you would brought something like that to our attention during your stay. I sincerely appreciate you bringing it to my attention now.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a weekend trip away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives on Long Island. We decided to take a nice long drive upstate to Lake Placid. A place neither of us have been to so we were kind of "winging it". I did some research on a place to stay. My criteria was a romantic room with a spectacular view, king sized bed, (he's tall) a whirlpool bath, a fireplace and a balcony! The Golden Arrow in Lake Placid offered all of that so we booked a two night stay. I also got the "romantic package" for an extra $100 which included our choice of wine, wine glasses to keep, a wine opener to keep, a coupon for two coffees at their coffee shop, room service for breakfast, an in-room movie and a pass for two for a wine tasting at their store in the cute mall they have attached to the hotel. It was a fantastic value. We were so happy with the place. The town is wonderful, the room was superb, the staff was fantastic...I could go on and on! The Can-Am hockey tournament was going on so they warned us in advance that was happening but assured us that they are not staying in any room above the 2nd floor. We stayed in a lovely room (520) Honestly we were delighted to see all the kids so involved in good clean fun! They were so well behaved and never once disturbed our romantic getaway! Thank you Golden Arrow for making our much needed weekend a special one. We will be back!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

THe service and attention was great! Everyone greeted us daily at the front desk and in the hallways. The room was clean and cozy. There was nothing needed and even better equipped with a small fridge and microwave which came in handy for the hot chocolate in front of the fireplace. The location was perfect for walks in town and for dining. What I liked best was the view and the activities available in the resort. We enjoyed the pool area and the game room alot. The only thing that bugged me a little was that during adult pool hours there were kids in the pool horsing around so there wasn't alot of down time for us adults. Security was always present and I felt secure at all times in the resort. It definitely was a great experience and I would highly recommend this resort. I love the history of the resort and the eco-friendly environment. Thanks to the staff for their friendliness and warm attention.

Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Great location right in town. Nice views, clean. Parts of the hotel have been updated and some appear to be in the process. Very large and rambling - might be a problem if mobiltity is an issue but with a 6 year old we spent lots of time exploring! The indoor pool was very attractive but the water was COLD! Our room was very basic, some of the other rooms might be more upscale but for the price it was a good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Massachuestts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Staff gave us a discount for a suite that was lovely. It was very apparent that staff took pride in resort. One downfall was the housekeeping staff did not clean our toilet. A couple of staff at the desk were not to friendly, but the majority were. Bed was very comfortable. Great place to stay. Would not recomend eating at Charlie's (the attached Restaurant) Overprice for medicore food.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Thank you so much for writing that nice review and giving us 5 stars! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. I have already spoken to housekeeping about the toilet issue you described and you can rest assured that it will not happen again. (I am not sure how it happened in the first place as that is obviously very important to the cleanliness of the room.)
As to Charlie's, I have mentioned before they are under separate management so unfortunately I do not have a lot of control over the operation of the restaurant. That said, I do realize that they represent us and vice versa. Our level of service reflects on them and likewise the service they provide reflects on us. We have a very close working relationship with the owners and I will pass on your comments to him and discuss how best to move forward to resolve the issues.
Thank you again for taking the time to write in. I hope you will be our guests again in the near future. Until then I wish you happy & safe travels.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We enjoyed a stay at the Golden Arrow in August and again in January. What a terrific resort. And eco-friendly -- I'm glad to support that. The location is absoultely superb -- fully flush on Mirror Lake with paddle boating in summer and dog sleds in winter, and mountain views. At the same time, the hotel is right in the middle of the village (and a wonderful, charming village at that!). It's also nice to be connected to the village center's indoor mall -- a plus especially in the cold weather. And I must say, the fitness center is the best I've been in for a hotel that's not a full-blown sports spa. Further, for what you get, the rates they charge are quite reasonable for Lake Placid.

There is room for improvement, though. The service in the restaurant was consistently below-standard on both our stays, in August and January -- slow to attend and running out of many items on the menu. The food they finally brought was tasty. But when you're frequenting the hotel restaurant repeatedly over the course of a vacation stay, you expect a menu that reflects items available to order and service that shows eagerness to please. Room service botched up a breakfast order pretty thoroughly too, and brought things cold. The nice thing is, there are many other restaurants within a short walk -- take your pick: delicious, comfortable, elegant, casual, charming, rustic -- Lake Placid has all that, with no fuss.

The hotel itself, apart from the restaurant, provided excellent service.

The rooms are nice, but we liked one better than the other. Having a sink outside the bathroom but not inside takes away from cleanliness a bit. And in the winter, we had trouble with shower temperatures fluctuating jaggedly at apres-ski time. I want to be forgiving of that because the hotel is trying very hard to blaze a trail to environmentally friendlier hospitality; but there is more to be done to reconcile eco-friendly showers with a guest's expectation of a comfortable shower experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Maybe I was just relying too much on the positive reviews I read before staying at the Golden Arrow. Regarding the "friendliness" of the staff..ha...Amanda at the front desk is NOT friendly AT ALL!!! After we drove almost 5 hours, we were so happy to get there, we walked in all smiles to check in...and she was just a wretch! My husband, who usually doesnt notice or care about these things said, "man she wasnt so friendly" after we checked in. The next day I had to go to the front desk to barrow a cork screw and she was the same. Im from Connecticut so Im used to snotty people and usually will give a lot of latitude because Im used to snots. Besides that, Charlies restaurant floor was nasty when we had breakfast there....It looked like it had not been vaccumed for a while. And it was 8am so I dont think it was fresh nastyness. Besides, it was like that everyday. The rest of the staff at the hotel was only slightly nicer then Amanda...nothing special AT ALL!!!!! The house keeping personeall were the friendliest people we saw there, always smiling and nice. The room was pretty clean, we stayed in Haystack, which is the new section. and I would highly recommend it as it is laminant flooring cause carpets in hotels can be soooo gross. Room very small, no dressers to put cloths into, just one nightstand with 3 small drawers. I guess you give that up when you want the hottub and fireplace. though which were nice Hottub was great though, it was pleanty big for two. The only thing was that under the desk and bed there was ALOT of dust. And the carpeting in the hallways was kind of nasty.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Thank you for sharing your comments. I did also receive the comment card you let at the desk and have spoken to my employee at length regarding your experience. She has asked me to apologize if she offended you, as that was not her intention.

I agree completely about the need for an extra dresser in the Haystack Room. We have been looking for something appropriate for about 3 weeks now and are having trouble finding a piece that will fit the space and is the same high quality (and regulated by sustainable forest) as the rest of the furniture.

I am glad you enjoyed the whirlpool tub and the hardwood bamboo flooring.

Been to Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!