“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, Vermont
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

We were there in late winter. Beautiful place! Nice, comfortable room with a great view of the lake.
No outside noise from other rooms or street.
Friendly staff! Helpful with recommendations for places to eat.
Enjoyed the in house bar and lounge area. Nice grounds too.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review your winter getaway. We hope to see you again this winter and the summer and fall are every bit as beautiful so we hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Belvidere, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This resort is lovely but the staff is so warm and helpful. We had a very sick child during our visit and they couldn't have been more helpful. At one point I was out getting medical attention for our son and we came back to our room with a sweet note and a get well gift for him. It made him smile! Such a nice touch during such a stressful period. The staff even helped me with an urgent fax back to our own doctors back home before his office closed. I was so appreciative of having people who were so helpful. Thanks again everyone!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Hello,
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experience here for others to read! We certainly were sad to hear your child was sick during your stay but I am glad that our caring and genuine hospitality made the unfortunate situation better. We pride ourselves on our guest service and going above and beyond, I am so glad our team did so for your family!
Please come back soon when everything is healthy so you can all enjoy more of everything we offer.
Centerport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I spent several nights at the Whiteface Lodge the weekend of the Ironman. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and my daughter fell ill. Despite these pitfalls, my family had a wonderful time at the Lodge. The ample accommodations and the abundance of indoor activities --including the pool, the game room, and the media room -- compensated for what would have otherwise been a miserable vacation. I always try to book a hotel that can keep the kids entertained in case the weather is bad. The Whiteface Lodge exceeded my expectations in this regard and I plan to return next summer. Hopefully, the conditions will be better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello,
We are sorry to hear you had bad weather and your daughter fell ill but we are thrilled we could be the "Silver Lining"! The Lodge is a unique resort experience unlike any other in the Adirondacks with enough Family and Adult activities on site that even a rainy vacation is still special. We look forward to your visit again next summer.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We only stood 2 nights because it was our first time at the Whiteface Lodge. I am not sure if I would actually stay again since I truly think it is overpriced. Our accommodations were outstanding. The major down side to the Lodge is the restaurant; dinner was too pricey for low quality food. We went shopping on our last night and I cooked Salmon and Rib Eye steak in our room and it was the best meal we ever had because the steaks from Hannaford were SO FRESH!! We also ventured into the town on Main Street and had a wonderful time eating at a restaurant in the area.

Room Tip: All the accommodations are wonderfully rustic
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello,
I am glad to hear you found your accommodations outstanding! We all hope you can visit us again in a non-peak month when our rates, along with all the hotels in Lake Placid, reflect a higher value with equally great experiences and terrific values. Our upscale dining experience is designed to present small regional farm ingredients with a creative flare. This does cause many items to be higher priced but we do offer a casual lowered and priced restaurant experience in our lounge plus kids menus in both locations.
We hope to see you again
Flemington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our family stayed at the Whiteface Lodge this past week. We have teenagers - 13 and 16. The Inn is beautiful. The grounds are immaculate. The flowers are lovely - everywhere you look. The pool is rather small and in peak hours is full of little kids - we went once in the late afternoon and had some more room to swim.

We went to the Kanu Club once. It is small but we went in the afternoon so we were able to take out some kayaks and paddle boards. Lake Placid is gorgeous - peaceful and scenic. There were 20+ people at the club and it was almost closing time. The club is fully staffed so you would think they would have had shuttles at the ready but they didn't. People were getting angry - we decided to walk after waiting about 20 minutes with no sign of a shuttle. It's about a mile and you have to walk along a highway with no sidewalks. That was a bummer.

Breakfast was good enough. We just went with the buffet (lots of options) every morning to save time. We ate dinner there once - very overpriced and not worth it. Very limited menu. Not a fan. Would be better if they had some more casual options on the menu.

Housekeeping was great and the room was cared for meticulously. The valet staff was also very good - they made check in and out very easy and were very polite and accommodating. Anna the concierge was the best - so very helpful and pleasant to deal with. She knew me by name - day 1. Yay Anna!! Gotta like that.

This was our first time to the area. We loved it. We have never paid as much to stay at a resort as we did to stay here. Knowing what we know now we would not do it again. With active teenagers, we did not spend enough time at the lodge to get our money's worth. We were out hiking and fishing and horseback riding and driving and hanging out in Lake Placid. I think if you have little kids and you swim every day and do the smores every night and the Kanu Club, maybe you will get a little more of your money's worth. Don't get me wrong - the Lodge is BEAUTIFUL, but for our family, it was not worth the expense. The bill at check out is a shocker - ouch.

We'll be back to the Adirondacks for sure, but will stay at a less expensive place - maybe walking distance to town if possible.

Room Tip: We stayed 2nd floor with a view of Whiteface Mountain. That was lovely and peaceful.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello,
Thank you for the review and feedback. August is the busiest and priciest month of the year in Lake Placid but we truly offer huge array of amenities and complimentary activities that we hope offers great value for most. I am glad you thought the resort is beautiful and we appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback. We hope you may try our Lodge again with many months of the year offering a similar experience with a significantly lower price point.
Best wishes
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at the Whiteface Lodge for a week in August of 2014 and loved it!

The hotel has so many amenities -- indoor/outdoor pool, tennis, spa, game room, private beach with free water sports, bowling alley (!), movie theater, free kids camp, playground, etc -- that you will always have something to do, rain or shine, 90F degrees or 20 below.

A special highlight for our family (esp my 3 yr old daughter) was the nightly camp fire with smores -- what a fantastic treat and perfect for Adirondack star gazing!

We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was comfortable and came with an electric fireplace and a kitchen fairly well stocked with dishes and utensils. The room faced the pool and was absolutely lovely!

The reason I'm not giving this hotel 5 stars is because of somewhat spotty maid service (which should be better at these rates) and also because of the restaurant. Breakfast was included in our room but we actually opted to eat our own food in our room several mornings because it wasn't good at all -- oversalted/overpeppered potatoes, questionable eggs, crappy white bread repeated every day. It could and should be better than this. We also ate 2 other meals at the restaurant and found the food to be pretty bad (and pricey). One tragic dish included corn risotto with actually popcorn sprinkled on it!

Basically, this is an amazing, very special hotel that I will definitely be coming back to, but just plan on eating elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
We are glad you found the Lodge to be the Perfect Getaway for your family. Hopefully we will see you again soon for a winter family escape, some say there is even more to do for family fun then. Although most of our guests truly enjoy the elaborate complimentary breakfast buffet we offer I am sorry we fell short of your expectations. We look forward to having you back and greatly improving your experience with our food and beverage program next time.
wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I would normally never pay the steep rates and stay at a hotel like this, but my husband surprised me for my birthday. When you walk up the front walkway into the hotel, the feel is just spectacular. The rustic décor in the lobby, rooms, restaurant is amazing. The front desk staff is very helpful and nice--although I would expect no less, given the pricey rooms here. Even the bathroom in my hotel room had a heated floor and fabulous Jacuzzi tub.
The pool is very nice, although we did not use it. It is separate from the rest of the lodge, which probably would not be great in the winter.
We wanted to use the boating equipment, so we were shuttled to the Canoe Club down the road in order to use the lake and boats. The trip there was fine, but we waited over a half hour to be picked up. We didn't realize that these activities they offer are not actually on the property.
We went to the Kanu Lounge for lunch, and the buffet breakfast in the restaurant. The breakfast, which was included, was fantastic. The buffet was fresh and delicious, and the atmosphere of the restaurant is amazing. The lunch was not so great. They only offer a few things. I ordered a burger which was so undercooked, that it was inedible and they didn't charge me. I think when you are paying prices like this, an undercooked burger just shouldn't happen. (I think the burger was about $20.)
All in all, Lake Placid is an amazing place to visit. There are lots of things to do there, although not so much at the Lodge. Although it certainly impressed me with it's Adirondack décor, I think for the rates they charge, it should be more.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Hello,
We are thrilled that you found almost everything great throughout the resort. The feedback you provided is appreciated and the few areas we did not meet expectations I assure you is not the norm. The August rates are the highest and the resort is the busiest but I am proud that overall we were able to deliver a great vacation and look forward to your return.

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!