“Incredible - perfect for parents and kids” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Boston, MA
“Incredible - perfect for parents and kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a Superior 1BR suite with our two kids (4 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son) the first week of April 2013. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The room itself was clean and spacious. The kitchen was new and very usable, there was a full dining room table, a great sitting area with gas fireplace. Our kids go to bed at 8pm so we had them sleep in the BR and we slept on the pull-out couch...it was not great, but fine / as expected for a pull out.

Breakfast was included with our room and was great. Fruit (strawberries, pineapples, melon), granola, yogurt, muffins/bagels, and pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage every morning. Our kids loved the activities, in particular the s'mores by the fire every night (outside most nights, inside when windy), the movie theater which had great daily options (my kids saw Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc), the bowling alley (a private room available with a full 10-pin alley and full seelection of bowling shoes for reservation each day between 12-8pm in one hour blocks). The pool was also great - it is half indoor and half outdoor, with a swm-through mini-tunnel connecting them. When we were there it was light snow and 30 degrees and pretty cool to be in an outdoor heated pool when snowing. My wife and I used the fitness room daily and it was just fine (few treadmills, couple ellipticals, bike, etc). And we used the ice skating (open until 10pm every night, music playing and hot chocolate available, and full selection of ice skates available).

Service was good all-around, no issues. Two notable examples - ice skating hut ran out of hot chocolate and we called to inform the hotel and they replaced w/in 3 minutes; same thing for s'mores at night.

And location was good - just a 5 min drive from Lake Placid town which had plenty of restaurants and shops. Whiteface Mtn was a short ride and all the Olympic stuff was close-by.

We are planning to return - a perfect combination of activities and amenities for both adults and kids. Perfect family spot. And we found the value to be just fine - it is expensive but if you take advantage of what is offered (e.g. all the onsite activites) then it is a good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Any room I've stayed in is spacious with a small kitchen and beautiful Adirondack finishes and furnishings. Nightly turn down service and giant chocolate chip cookies are great perks. There is also a complimentary tea service and nightly s'mores. This all between hiking and great spa treatments (maple scrub anyone) make it one of my favorite places to stay. It is a great blend of luxury, coupled with rustic, Adirondack casual. I do not feel out of place walking to the spa or indoor/outdoor pool in the complimentary bathrobe. Be sure to visit the game room and Kanu, if only just to see the gorgeous dining room. Oh yeah, take advantage of the complimentary breakfast and you will.

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The service was excellent. The valet parking makes it easy. The every day turn down service and fresh baked cookings was decedent. The bathrooms are luxurious. The beds are soft and cozy. The dark blinds are a nice bonus if you want to sleep in.
This place rocks for kids. The outdoor skating rink skates included, bowling lane, movie theater and game room all right at the hotel. The everynight s'mores and fresh popcorn the kids loved. The indoor outdoor pool is fun. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite with our kids. The setting is beautiful. Most of the guests were from New York State. Breakfast was a buffet which was fine, usual fare. But, they ran out of items quite quickly, such as berries and yoghurt. Very child friendly hotel. Definitely, not for a romantic get away. The pool area was small and over populated with guests, so we chose not to use it. Our kids enjoyed the kids club, which is a relief for us parents.
Dinner was ok. Nothing memorable.
Next time I would return for a winter escape with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012
Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here at Whiteface for a Lake Placid getaway, had to do it once to see. I can say the service is very good, the rooms very nice and clean and the grounds were very nice, but for the amount of surrounding attraction and location, I felt this too be a bit a pricey. However, in this area, this is one of about only 3 places you can stay here for quality, maybe 1 of 2, so if coming to Lake Placid, you may have to realize its not a cheap weekend getaway and stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

First stay was in 2011 and third stay was 2013. Convenient to Whiteface for skiing and nice for my non-skiing wife to relax during the day. Great rooms and the kitchen saves on having to pay for restaurant meals. Facilities are also great with the skating rink, pool, etc being a hit with the kids. Even on a not too busy week, the game room and bowling alley were very busy or not available. Breakfast this stay seemed to be inferior to previous stays. Clearly an expensive place to stay and my "average" review is simply due to the value. For the price everything should be top notch and everyone should go well beyond the basics. If you are okay with spending several hundreds of dollars per night to have a really nice room, then stay here. If you are going to spend most of your time away from the hotel, stay somewhere cheaper.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello,
We wanted to thank you for your feedback and we are very glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We strive to always price the Whiteface Lodge Experiences in a way that which matches up with the products and services you receive. We know that most weekends during a good Ski Season can be busy and that great facilities you mention are wide open and not crowed during the day. With that being said for the 3 or 4 hours after skiing, before dinner the common areas can get crowded but we offer so many options between, Movie theater, Bowling Alley, Game Room, 3 Hot Tubs, Swimming Pool, Ice Skating rink and more there should be room for everyone to enjoy the Lodge!
A great option is to ski early season prior to Christmas or in April when the conditions can still be very good, prices go down significantly and the facilities for the most part are wide open!
We hope to see you again and appreciate your business and review!
Whiteface Lodge Management
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I write this review after contacting (via email on February 7, 2013), and not receiving any acknowledgment from Chris Pulito or Linda Cook of The Whiteface Lodge until February 15, 2013, when I stated I would be submitting my experience to Tripadvisor.com. I then received a weak apology from Mr. Pulito that he is trying to have a chance to look into everything and speak to the involved parties. I provided my husband's number on February 15, 2013, and, to date, have not heard from Mr. Pulito, or any other representative at The Whiteface Lodge which I find completely disgraceful.

My family and I have become accustomed to the pampering The White Face Lodge bestows upon their guests which is the reason for our numerous return visits. Unfortunately, we were disappointed to see many of these luxuries have disappeared at the time of our January 22-25, 2013 visit in two suites. There were many trifling annoyances but the most unpleasant was the unprofessional and offensive behavior of their employee, Kelly, which most definitely spoiled our visit. After confirming our late checkout of 2pm on at least three separate occasions, on the date of our departure we were contacted by the cleaning staff twice, once at noon, another at 1, despite the "privacy" sign on our door, as well as being called and hung up upon, at 1:30. Immediately after this hang-up, we received a visit at our room from a very irritated Kelly who was extremely curt and confrontational telling me it was "highly unlikely" that I received confirmation of a 2 pm checkout from the front desk. My husband, who had been loading our luggage into our vehicle while I was bundling up our toddlers for the record low temps, went to speak with Kelly after hearing her unprofessional and accusatory behavior. It was then realized that the front desk had checked both suites out prematurely and Kelly apologized for the "confusion." She also decided she was going to apologize for her behavior to me as I was leaving the hotel with my toddlers both tired from the constant interruptions in their naps. I explained to Kelly that her choice in words was akin to calling me a liar. Kelly then proclaimed from the "bottom of her heart" how sorry she was and wanted us to return to the hotel and this experience should not taint our opinion of the hotel. At this point her repeated apologies and groveling was an embarrassment and such a strong contrast from her curt and condescending manner when she confronted me at our suite. Ironically, Kelly had just reissued our room cards between 12:30 and 1pm that day as they had been deactivated due to the error at the front desk (prior to her display at our doorway at 1:40).

I cannot emphasize enough how extremely unprofessional Kelly was. She treated me as if I were a squatter in our hotel room refusing to leave. It was made very clear to us there was a wedding occurring at the Lodge over the weekend and all the rooms were booked. However, I don’t believe any guest should be treated with any less significance or courtesy.

To name a few of the disappointments from our recent visit:
--no doorman to assist in opening the doors as I carried out two toddlers, diaper bags etc in record low temperatures

--an exercise class takes over the pool until 9:30 two days during the week. Those participating in the class were not guests of the Lodge, yet they were very apologetic, while no one from your staff apologized for our inconvenience.

--The mere fact that the cleaning cart was left in the hall during our entire stay was unsightly as well as annoying

-- popcorn kernels found on the floor by our toddler, disgusting not to mention a choking hazard

--bathroom tissue was not replenished even when empty rolls were evident

--We had invited guests to stay in room 215, and upon arrival found their microwave had not been cleaned nor did they have bath slippers.

My suggestion would be anyone who has stayed previously at the luxurious White Face Lodge should be prepared for a disappointment. Since this new management has taken over, their accommodations are not any better than the run of the mill chain hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We at the Whiteface Lodge appreciate the feedback of this guest. We are well aware of who this guest is and also did make efforts to try and execute a service recovery.
Unfortunately there were small issues during their stay that we do regularly do everything we can to avoid guests having to experience. We are very proud of the caring service and genuine hospitality that is provided here at the lodge. We sincerely apologize for the difficulty in coordinating communication with this guest and the issues that occurred during their stay!
The fact is I feel it important to point out that we will not encourage or support personal attacks made publically by a past guest’s towards any of our team members. The hardworking, dedicated staff and management of this resort are not accurately depicted in the review above, while we do claim to be perfect we find this post unfair. Each and every member of our team is professional and works hard to make every experience special! On the rare occasion that a service glitch occurs we do every we can, in a timely manner, to make up for that.
I ask simply that if you are reading this review you consider the entire body of work by our World Class Property and base your impression of our resort on that and not an individual posting.
Warm regards,