“A family escape near the adirondack mountains” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7 Whiteface Inn Lane, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Montreal, Canada
“A family escape near the adirondack mountains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite with our kids. The setting is beautiful. Most of the guests were from New York State. Breakfast was a buffet which was fine, usual fare. But, they ran out of items quite quickly, such as berries and yoghurt. Very child friendly hotel. Definitely, not for a romantic get away. The pool area was small and over populated with guests, so we chose not to use it. Our kids enjoyed the kids club, which is a relief for us parents.
Dinner was ok. Nothing memorable.
Next time I would return for a winter escape with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here at Whiteface for a Lake Placid getaway, had to do it once to see. I can say the service is very good, the rooms very nice and clean and the grounds were very nice, but for the amount of surrounding attraction and location, I felt this too be a bit a pricey. However, in this area, this is one of about only 3 places you can stay here for quality, maybe 1 of 2, so if coming to Lake Placid, you may have to realize its not a cheap weekend getaway and stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

First stay was in 2011 and third stay was 2013. Convenient to Whiteface for skiing and nice for my non-skiing wife to relax during the day. Great rooms and the kitchen saves on having to pay for restaurant meals. Facilities are also great with the skating rink, pool, etc being a hit with the kids. Even on a not too busy week, the game room and bowling alley were very busy or not available. Breakfast this stay seemed to be inferior to previous stays. Clearly an expensive place to stay and my "average" review is simply due to the value. For the price everything should be top notch and everyone should go well beyond the basics. If you are okay with spending several hundreds of dollars per night to have a really nice room, then stay here. If you are going to spend most of your time away from the hotel, stay somewhere cheaper.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello,
We wanted to thank you for your feedback and we are very glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We strive to always price the Whiteface Lodge Experiences in a way that which matches up with the products and services you receive. We know that most weekends during a good Ski Season can be busy and that great facilities you mention are wide open and not crowed during the day. With that being said for the 3 or 4 hours after skiing, before dinner the common areas can get crowded but we offer so many options between, Movie theater, Bowling Alley, Game Room, 3 Hot Tubs, Swimming Pool, Ice Skating rink and more there should be room for everyone to enjoy the Lodge!
A great option is to ski early season prior to Christmas or in April when the conditions can still be very good, prices go down significantly and the facilities for the most part are wide open!
We hope to see you again and appreciate your business and review!
Whiteface Lodge Management
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I write this review after contacting (via email on February 7, 2013), and not receiving any acknowledgment from Chris Pulito or Linda Cook of The Whiteface Lodge until February 15, 2013, when I stated I would be submitting my experience to Tripadvisor.com. I then received a weak apology from Mr. Pulito that he is trying to have a chance to look into everything and speak to the involved parties. I provided my husband's number on February 15, 2013, and, to date, have not heard from Mr. Pulito, or any other representative at The Whiteface Lodge which I find completely disgraceful.

My family and I have become accustomed to the pampering The White Face Lodge bestows upon their guests which is the reason for our numerous return visits. Unfortunately, we were disappointed to see many of these luxuries have disappeared at the time of our January 22-25, 2013 visit in two suites. There were many trifling annoyances but the most unpleasant was the unprofessional and offensive behavior of their employee, Kelly, which most definitely spoiled our visit. After confirming our late checkout of 2pm on at least three separate occasions, on the date of our departure we were contacted by the cleaning staff twice, once at noon, another at 1, despite the "privacy" sign on our door, as well as being called and hung up upon, at 1:30. Immediately after this hang-up, we received a visit at our room from a very irritated Kelly who was extremely curt and confrontational telling me it was "highly unlikely" that I received confirmation of a 2 pm checkout from the front desk. My husband, who had been loading our luggage into our vehicle while I was bundling up our toddlers for the record low temps, went to speak with Kelly after hearing her unprofessional and accusatory behavior. It was then realized that the front desk had checked both suites out prematurely and Kelly apologized for the "confusion." She also decided she was going to apologize for her behavior to me as I was leaving the hotel with my toddlers both tired from the constant interruptions in their naps. I explained to Kelly that her choice in words was akin to calling me a liar. Kelly then proclaimed from the "bottom of her heart" how sorry she was and wanted us to return to the hotel and this experience should not taint our opinion of the hotel. At this point her repeated apologies and groveling was an embarrassment and such a strong contrast from her curt and condescending manner when she confronted me at our suite. Ironically, Kelly had just reissued our room cards between 12:30 and 1pm that day as they had been deactivated due to the error at the front desk (prior to her display at our doorway at 1:40).

I cannot emphasize enough how extremely unprofessional Kelly was. She treated me as if I were a squatter in our hotel room refusing to leave. It was made very clear to us there was a wedding occurring at the Lodge over the weekend and all the rooms were booked. However, I don’t believe any guest should be treated with any less significance or courtesy.

To name a few of the disappointments from our recent visit:
--no doorman to assist in opening the doors as I carried out two toddlers, diaper bags etc in record low temperatures

--an exercise class takes over the pool until 9:30 two days during the week. Those participating in the class were not guests of the Lodge, yet they were very apologetic, while no one from your staff apologized for our inconvenience.

--The mere fact that the cleaning cart was left in the hall during our entire stay was unsightly as well as annoying

-- popcorn kernels found on the floor by our toddler, disgusting not to mention a choking hazard

--bathroom tissue was not replenished even when empty rolls were evident

--We had invited guests to stay in room 215, and upon arrival found their microwave had not been cleaned nor did they have bath slippers.

My suggestion would be anyone who has stayed previously at the luxurious White Face Lodge should be prepared for a disappointment. Since this new management has taken over, their accommodations are not any better than the run of the mill chain hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We at the Whiteface Lodge appreciate the feedback of this guest. We are well aware of who this guest is and also did make efforts to try and execute a service recovery.
Unfortunately there were small issues during their stay that we do regularly do everything we can to avoid guests having to experience. We are very proud of the caring service and genuine hospitality that is provided here at the lodge. We sincerely apologize for the difficulty in coordinating communication with this guest and the issues that occurred during their stay!
The fact is I feel it important to point out that we will not encourage or support personal attacks made publically by a past guest’s towards any of our team members. The hardworking, dedicated staff and management of this resort are not accurately depicted in the review above, while we do claim to be perfect we find this post unfair. Each and every member of our team is professional and works hard to make every experience special! On the rare occasion that a service glitch occurs we do every we can, in a timely manner, to make up for that.
I ask simply that if you are reading this review you consider the entire body of work by our World Class Property and base your impression of our resort on that and not an individual posting.
Warm regards,
General Manager of Whiteface Lodge
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a Five night winter getaway to the Whiteface Lodge. As soon as we arrived and were helped with our bags I immediately felt on vacation. I was so impressed by the size and decor of our one bedroom suite. The king size bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever been and the heated floor in the bathroom was such a nice touch. I also loved the jet tub and the small washer dryer. The kitchen was small but with beautiful details and had everything we needed to cook some meals. Some nice touches were the bedside water carafe and the lip balm that you find on the table when you walk in. I had requested a Mountain View and was pleased that we were given a suite not only with the Mountain View but on the first floor as i could walk out from the porch in my boots! Turn down service at night with chocolate chip cookies as well as daily papers to your door were also nice touches.
My favorite part of the lodge was the indoor outdoor heated pools and hot tubs as well as the fitness center Which was quiet clean and with good equipment. The outdoor skating rink and the ability to snowshoe around the property was also a great activity, fun and convenient. The spa was tranquil and professional and one of the best massages I ever had ( request Katie)

A few improvements I see are as follows..
Since we were only there Sunday night through Thursday night it would've been nice to have live music and the ice cream parlor open not just on the weekends. Also we didnt go to the movie theater even though we wanted to because we found the movie choices not so great

. Our biggest and only real issue was the buffet breakfast that was included in our rate..the service was great and the atmosphere was lovely but five mornings in a row of the same selection got very boring..they really should change it up ..doesn't seem like a hard thing and would have made a very big difference.

Overall very beautiful , comfortable, and worth every penny :-)

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We are just wrapping up a 4-night stay in a one-bedroom suite at the Whiteface Lodge. As other reviewers have said, the place is beautiful - both inside and out. The attention to detail is remarkable, from the heated pathways in the courtyard and tunnel between the main building and clubhouse to the underground valet parking and soundproofing in the room. And the quality of the construction shows; the beams, doors, paneling and finishes are all solid wood so one gets the impression that the property will age quite well.

The amenities are so extensive that, despite the other winter attractions and activities that drew us to Lake Placid, we didn't step off the property for the first 2.5 days! The adults and kids in our group loved the ice skating (huge, well-maintained outdoor rink with skate rentals), indoor-outdoor heated pool and hot tubs, snowshoeing and sledding (snowshoes and sleds available for use with short but fun trails on the property), bowling, games room, and screening room. I really appreciated that all these amenities - even the skate rentals, showshoes and valet parking - were included in our rate, as my experience at other resorts is that they tend to nickel-and-dime you via onsite activities.

Several other reviews mentioned uneven service; while our experience has been quite positive, I would tend to agree. When we arrived, there was no valet or porter to be found and the front desk reception was unenthusiastic and didn't really help introduce us to the property. Several times, I approached staff that were chitchatting with one another and I felt like I was interrupting. Wait staff in the restaurant and service staff elsewhere have been friendly but lack the polish that one finds in other top resorts - I've experienced more refined service at just about every Asian hotel I've ever stayed at. Then again, this is the Adirondacks!

One service standout is the twice-daily housekeeping service - they did everything from washing our dishes to both closing and opening the sofa bed. And they are unusually friendly.

The included breakfast was great when served a la carte on our first day, but the buffet on other days was not very extensive (though what was there was delicious).

The suites are very well-equipped with kitchen wares and the decor and bedding are both top notch, but I couldn't figure out why there is only a washing machine and no dryer.

Despite these (relatively minor) shortcomings and the high price, we would enthusiastically return to the Whiteface Lodge!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manorville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We visited Lake Placid during our children's Feb break and had a wonderful time. Although we thought it was quite expensive....we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The lodge was beautiful and our one bedroom sweet was perfect. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!