We are just wrapping up a 4-night stay in a one-bedroom suite at the Whiteface Lodge. As other reviewers have said, the place is beautiful - both inside and out. The attention to detail is remarkable, from the heated pathways in the courtyard and tunnel between the main building and clubhouse to the underground valet parking and soundproofing in the room. And the quality of the construction shows; the beams, doors, paneling and finishes are all solid wood so one gets the impression that the property will age quite well.
The amenities are so extensive that, despite the other winter attractions and activities that drew us to Lake Placid, we didn't step off the property for the first 2.5 days! The adults and kids in our group loved the ice skating (huge, well-maintained outdoor rink with skate rentals), indoor-outdoor heated pool and hot tubs, snowshoeing and sledding (snowshoes and sleds available for use with short but fun trails on the property), bowling, games room, and screening room. I really appreciated that all these amenities - even the skate rentals, showshoes and valet parking - were included in our rate, as my experience at other resorts is that they tend to nickel-and-dime you via onsite activities.
Several other reviews mentioned uneven service; while our experience has been quite positive, I would tend to agree. When we arrived, there was no valet or porter to be found and the front desk reception was unenthusiastic and didn't really help introduce us to the property. Several times, I approached staff that were chitchatting with one another and I felt like I was interrupting. Wait staff in the restaurant and service staff elsewhere have been friendly but lack the polish that one finds in other top resorts - I've experienced more refined service at just about every Asian hotel I've ever stayed at. Then again, this is the Adirondacks!
One service standout is the twice-daily housekeeping service - they did everything from washing our dishes to both closing and opening the sofa bed. And they are unusually friendly.
The included breakfast was great when served a la carte on our first day, but the buffet on other days was not very extensive (though what was there was delicious).
The suites are very well-equipped with kitchen wares and the decor and bedding are both top notch, but I couldn't figure out why there is only a washing machine and no dryer.
Despite these (relatively minor) shortcomings and the high price, we would enthusiastically return to the Whiteface Lodge!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Adirondack Mountains, this exclusive resort is a haven of comfort and elegance. A retreat where guests can relax in sumptuous all suites resort and enjoy superb cuisine. A refined atmosphere, log architecture, fire places, world class spa, year round activities and the Canoe Beach club on Lake Placid. The Lodge is both a family friendly destination and an adult playground or romantic escape. A Member of Leading Hotels of The World and the most Luxurious Full Service Resort in the Adirondacks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your The Whiteface Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Whiteface Hotel Lake Placid
- Whiteface Hotel Lake Placid
- Whiteface Lodge