“A wonderful getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Montreal, Canada
“A wonderful getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful, relaxing stay at Whiteface Lodge. We were there for three days the first week of December. As we drove up to the resort we were instantly impressed with the look of the resort, and once we got in we felt at home. It was so warm and inviting! Check in was smooth and soon enough we were in our one bedroom suite which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. The kitchen was perfectly equipped. The living room was extremely cozy with the fireplace which was a nice touch. We loved the large window in the living room and bedroom looking out onto the beautiful grounds and the huge balcony. The beds were soooooo comfortable, we slept so well! The heated floor in the bathroom felt wonderful! We appreciated all the little touches such as leaving complimentary chap stick, filled water bottles and glasses by the bedside, biscuits at turn down service, newspaper left outside our front door every morning. We had breakfast at Kanu and wow did we enjoy it! I had never tasted waffles that good! We also had supper there and again, the food was delicious! The grounds of the resort were very nice, though we did not venture out too much because it was sooo cold! We did go to Main Street which is a short distance from the resort. It is pretty with the little shops and restaurants. We also treated ourselves to a couples massage which we really enjoyed. The resort also has a game room, a theatre and a mini bowling alley! What more can you ask for!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went up for one night and loved it. Ice skating, swimming outside, great bar and restaurant and FREE breakfast was a buffet with the pancakes & bacon were very delicious!!! Will definitely be back. The beds are comfy. The little porch, the elec fireplace, tub/Jacuzi all very nice. Was a very nice one night and very relaxing night w/the hubby.

Lake George, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Overall I really liked this hotel. I will first state what kept me from giving this place a 5 star rating: Service. The service is simply not 5 star, the rest of the place is absolutely 5 star quality. It starts when you arrive, there are not enough valets at the door, not enough people at the front desk on checkin. These things can simply be a matter of timing of course. When we first arrived the valet took our two bags straight to the room. He did not wait to escort us to the room - not that it was difficult to find the room and fortunately we passed him in the hallway on his way back to give him a tip. He had taken off so fast from the car I couldn't tip him before he left with our stuff. One time when returning with the car and looking for the valet it took better 5 minutes (perhaps even 10) for the valet to arrive. Another example, when in eating in the Kanu Lounge the service was really lacking. The first night we arrived we ate dinner in the lounge (the food was good) but the server brought my drink but forgot about my spouse's drink - so we had to remind him we each ordered a drink. At the pool/hot tub area I never saw any staff except one removing towels. I would have expected a staff person to be in the area on a routine basis, perhaps even offer drinks to those in the hot tub or just to make sure everything is in order. I had one or two other minor items on service but you get the point. Overall the staff is very friendly/pleasant, the service is good and perhaps even better than good but just not attentive enough to deliver a 5 star rating.

Now to the rest of the place. It is truly comfortable and relaxing. The rooms are well appointed and quite appealing. I enjoyed the fireplace in the room, the small dinette, the Adirondack decorations, the comfort of all the chairs, couch and bed. I could hear some things in the hallway but not enough to be at all distracting. I was never disturbed by any sounds from rooms to the side or above us. I thought the grounds were quite beautiful - there was snow on the ground when we were there and they had lights in the evergreen trees which looked terrific. Overall the place should be 5 star except the service keeps me from giving that rating.

I will go back, I had a terrific time and recommend this place if going to Lake Placid.

West Sand Lake, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent a week for our 40th anniversary at the Whiteface Lodge. It exceeded all of our expectations for an Adirondack lodge. Our suite was beautiful, well appointed, warm, quiet and comfortable. The entire Lodge was the same. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful, from the valets, front desk clerks, concierge, servers and maids. Indoor-outdoor pool and hot tubs were a joy to use every day and seemed very clean. The atmosphere in the main restaurant and lounge were second to none with such great fireplaces. The food was okay but average - fortunately there are so many fantastic and unusual restaurants to choose from in LP. We will definitely return next trip to LP.

Room Tip: Suites facing Whiteface Mountain (not Rt. 86) are very private and quite and you can't beat the...
ahamm123
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary while our 2 year old daughter stayed home with the grandparents. We were instanly impressed as we pulled into the resort, the winter wonderland feel with the lit up pine trees was beautiful. Valet was always friendly but the front desk employees seemed to be a bit cold.
Our room was beautiful, huge tub, kitchenette, balcony and a sun room all made the room seem very large. We actually thought the room was nicer in person than in the photos on the website. We were a bit dissapointed since we were the first room off of the restaurant area, it was fairly loud in our living room and we could hear employees rummaging through the maid room which was right next to the bedroom. I was woken up several times during our stay due to this. We never complained to the staff though.
The dinner options at the restaurant left much to be desired, it is a very minimal menu and had nothing to suite me. We went to a restaurant in town and it was delicious. Breakfast at the hotel was mediocre, the food was barely warm, the waitstaff was fair at best and it wassx clear that many other diners felt the same way.
My husband and I received a couples massage at the spa and it was very nice. Both therapists were professional and friendly. The relaxation room didn't seem very relaxing, the furniture wasn't very comfortable and the bright lights didn't set the mood.
Overall, we had a great time and will most likely be returning with our daughter this summer because there are so many things for her to do here. While the hotel is beautiful and nicely appointed I do not believe the service grants this hotel a top hotel ranking.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our third year visiting the beautiful resort during the New Year Holiday. The atmosphere is cozy and tastefully done to make the visitor feel like you are in the mountains. The rooms and view are beautiful. The children's programs are great for our small children and there is always an activity to keep our boys busy. Truly a winter wonderland and the room for improvement lies in the service of the restaurant. Each year we are shocked how a prestigious resort can sustain such a poor waitstaff and food menu. The menu leaves us longing for comfort food after a day of skiing. Five hamburgers to choose from! No chili or warm soups and a crazy lounge which needs more waitstaff and staff that knows how to service its customers! Don't get me wrong there are a few kind servers (ironically the ones we see each year) that serve well and go beyond but there are not enough of these people around. If the people supervising the game room and halls were older it may be easier for them to enforce the rules of the resort. Its a challenge to have your young children enter a circus and enforce rules that no one is implementing themselves. On the fence about returning next year....longer for better customer service. Every time I ask the front desk for assistance I felt like I was bothering them and intruding on something - did not feel warm at the front desk. The valet staff by far is the warmest crew around the resort. Thankfully this staff is the first impression and sometimes the last.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I want to thank the staff at the Whiteface Lodge for helping us enjoy our family vacation. When we arrived the valet service unpacked our car brought our luggage direclty to our room while we checked in and had dinner. During dinner my daughter was not feeling well so I decided to bring her back to the room. The waitress (without us asking) suggested that she would bring the food for my daugter and I to the room ( and would even split the entrees that my wife and I were going to share). The room itself was very comfortable. The kids loved the game room ( with bowling alley) and the skating rink. Next to the skating rink was the Yurt which was stocked with skates for everyone, sleds, equipment for broomball and hot chocolate. All of the equipment was in great condition. We played broomball with another family which was a highlight of our trip ( they could use a few additional broomball sticks :). We would definitely go back and would be interested to see lake placid in all four seasons.

To be fair the food was avergae and they have a funny policy; (which should not matter to most people) We needed to switch rooms the last night because we extended our stay , and although they knew which room we were going to be switched tothey would not tell us. It was comical in the fact that I asked which room we were being moved to and the person at the desk was like " oh I am so sorry but we do not share that information with guests, we would not want them walking around the hotel looking at other rooms". I just had to laugh because they did everything else right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!