“Gorgeous!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 hotels in Lake Placid
Wilton, Connecticut
“Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful hotels in the US. The rooms are huge, beautifully appointed with rustic decor and wonderful amenities We took advantage of the indoor pool, the local shopping and hiking the nearby trails. The spa was wonderfully relaxing. Everyone at this resort really strives to provide outstanding service. This hotel is a little pricey but you definately get your money's worth. Perfect for a romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This lodge is something out of a Winter Wonderland Storybook. My husband and I were there with our 5 year-old daughter and it was just amazing. I don't think you can beat going in the winter during the holiday time. The decorations were beautiful. The resort itself is just amazing, from the rooms to the pools to the outdoor ice skating rink that pipes Christmas music while you skate. It was truly a perfect weekend get away and an ideal place for kids. The rooms are so cozy and make you not want to leave. We would go back again and plan to, next winter.

My only complaint ( super minor) was you were able to hear the rooms above you and next to you. We had quite the large wedding group above us who were very loud until late in the AM. I ended up calling the front desk and it was taken care of very quickly.

One thing to keep in mind, which we didn't think of. A lot of the outdoor things to do are dependent on the weather. We really wanted to do the Dog Sled ride or the Sleigh ride- however there was no snow and the lake wasn't frozen over yet. If you are coming to do true winter things - something to keep in mind. For us, going around the holidays for the decorations was perfect, so that worked.

Room Tip: Rooms with a fireplace are aweseome on a cold winter night!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello and we could not ask for a better title to a review than "Storybook Vacation"! Thank you and we do agree, especially during the holiday seasons that the Whiteface Lodge transform into a fairy tale like scene. Sorry we didn't have more snow for you but the good news is over the last 2 weeks we have received over 3 feet of snow and it keeps coming!
So come back later this winter so we can help you experience the Dog Sledding and other outdoor adventures that winter in Lake Placid offer.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at this Lodge for 2 nights and wish we stayed longer!!! Beautiful property and excellent service. We used their concierge services and Kelly was excellent with providing recommendations for the things to do/restaurants in Lake Placid area. We also took advantage of ice skating ring and pool.
Lodge itself is very beautiful and a perfect place to escape to for couple days to relax and unwind. There are many activities available on a resort property itself including a bowling alley. Every evening they have a fire going outside with s'mores, which was my favorite thing to do while there. We had breakfast included in our rate and it was delicious.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a fireplace!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This place rocks! Great service, huge rooms and rustic decor make it one of a kind. So much to do at the lodge and it's all free. Bowling alley, movie theatre, skating rink, game room, heated pools, tennis courts and much more.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
old bridge,new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed the weekend of Nov. 30th. The Lodge property is beautiful, located under a mile into town, where all the stores, cafes and the Olympic complex are. You pull up and valet is right there to unload and take your car. Check in was quick. Staff were polite and efficient. The lobby, 1st and 2nd floor as well as the dining room, was decorated for Christmas with the most beautiful 30 ft trees and decorations.Seemed like Christmas trees and Fireplaces were all over, the furniture and little sitting areas were comfortable and very open yet very quaint and rustic. The bar and lounge was hopping on the Sat. night. Looks like people were using the pool which was heated indoor and outdoor. There was a little for everyone, couples and families alike. There was a theatre, 2 lane bowling area, ice cream bar, game room, with everything you could imagine for kids and adults. You would want for nothing.

Our room was 201, unreal, with a kitchen which included every necessity you would have at home, the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub, plenty of room, the towels were the best ( queens treasures) I looked at the name, because I want to buy them. There was also a washer in the closet for clothing. We had a large terrace overlooking the snow covered trees. My brother had a smaller terrace but had a fireplace in his room.
Our king bed was so comfortable, the pillows, again unreal, I got the name of those as well. The robe they give you were so comfortable and cozy. They are for sale down in the gift shop for $85. Well worth it.. Housekeeping comes around with chocolate chip cookies, buckets of ice and newspapers everyday. I mean I felt like I was in someones home. I found out Gramercy Bank ownes this property, but it didnt feel corporate at all. These people know what they are doing. Everyone there knows their job, no dummies at all. They are all over you service wise to make you feel comfortable. The fires were always going, there were marshmallows and sticks to toast them outside by the fire. Amazing is all I could say and I definetely would stay there again if I ever passed through. I could only imagine what it would be like in the summer during their high season. All in all enjoy! and kudos to every staff member who made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Second floor is good, the bar, lounge and dining is on that floor. I would take the room with firepl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The review title may contain a hint of disapproval, but that has nothing to do with the external qualities of this resort. Here are the good things and the list is long. Whiteface It is outfitted in true Lake Placid fashion (think antlers and rugged wood), the grounds are lovely, the fireplaces many and the staff friendly ( often accompanied by something reasonably good to eat or drink). Kanu, the lodge's restaurant is a really good option if you just want to relax close to homebase, though its hours seem a little limited for my tastes (but then again, I think any restaurant that closes before 22:00 has "limited" hours). Quick tip: look for the Finger Lakes wines on the list. Regional and Dr. Frank's Semi-Dry Reisling is great.

When I say the grounds are lovely, I mean it. The pool, well, it's more for family than couples (and wasn't entirely well groomed when I last stayed, if you get the drift), but kinds have a great time and in the winter weather, hot tubs are certainly a plus. In fact, this brings me to a point about families. Although I wasn't there with children, I noticed that the resort is family friendly and has lots of activities that children seemed to be enjoying quite a bit.

The rooms are luxe and comforting, just the ticket after a day of hiking etc.

In short, I like Whiteface. The reason that I call it an "ostentatious newcomer" is in part a reflection of the feeling I'd had staying elsewhere and talking to locals. Whiteface is kind of like Disney land. It's Disney's version of the Adirondacks. It's large and safe, but if you look too closely, you'll see that it's kind of fictional. If you want a traditional hotel/resort with a real history, you'll want to consider the Mirror Lake Inn. It's older, that's true, but has many pluses. And the decor is just as "Adirondacky" as Whiteface. The only difference is...it's real.

In short, this is a great choice (probably best if you have children), but do a little comparative research first, if only for an authentic experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Where to begin! This is one of the finest properties we have ever visited. Here's what truly stood out:

#1 The service. From the moment we opened the car door to go check in to when we sadly had to check out to go back home, we could not have asked for more. We were warmly greeted by the valet who offered help with bags and car parking, which we did ourselves because we did not have much. Check-in was easy and efficient. As we headed down to our suite with our things, one of the very friendly housekeepers asked if there was anything we needed and said to please call anytime. The desk staff was incredibly helpful. We wanted to take advantage of all the resort had to offer, including bowling, swimming, and a fun game room. We reserved bowling for an hour before dinner. The key to the bowling alley is kept at the front desk. Bowling, movies, and the game room games are included as part of your stay.

#2 The food. At Kanu for lunch we had superior wait service. Food was delivered in a timely manner and all of our requests were met with a smile. We had the truffle fries, mac and cheese for our daughter, caesar salad and potato leek soup for my husband and me. It was all REALLY GOOD! When we returned to Kanu for dinner, we lucked out with Zack, the bartender. We decided to eat in one of the lounge-y areas, chilling out on the leather couches with some games and drinks before dinner. Zack brought my husband a tasting of three whiskeys, and then he chose one that was so delicious he had to order a second. We also tried a smoked beer (very good microbrew) and I had a generous pour of some red wine that is escaping me as I write this. It was good! Dinner was also super tasty. More pasta for the teenager, a burger for hubby, and appetizer portion of tuna for me. All of our dishes exceeded our expectations. I did not think resort food could be so well done. This was excellent food for ANY restaurant, and we did not even try the more fancy restaurant on site. If you are NOT staying here while you visit Lake Placid, at least come and try the food.

#3 The room. We had a "junior suite" on the first floor. This meant a queen sized bed and a pull out sofa. Everything was spotlessly clean, beautifully maintained, gorgeous woodsy decor, not a speck of dust or hint of mildew in sight. It felt brand new, even though it was built in 2005. We had a refrigerator, microwave, regular stove top, kitchen sink, dishes and silverware in the room. Also worth mentioning is the hotel's commitment to eco-friendly practices. There was a Brita filter on the faucet and very nice glassware for us to use instead of plastic bottles. For those staying several days, you have the option to do your linens every three days. The bathroom was huge, had gorgeous granite countertops and a whirlpool jet tub! The toiletries provided included bath salts for that nice tub. Thick, white thirsty towels were what you would expect at a fine spa. Oh, and did I mention bathrobes? =) Perfect for covering up while you go through the underground passage to the...

#4 POOL!!! This was one of the most fun pool designs we've ever enjoyed. It is an indoor-outdoor pool where you can swim through the wall of the pool room straight outside, even in cold weather, which it certainly was during our November visit. The pool is heated. There are two hot tubs outside, and one inside. I LOVED hanging out in the outdoor hot tub while the air on my face was freezing cold. It was fantastic.

Other things to know about visiting Lake Placid:

If you are a skater, there is very limited public ice skating time. Call ahead. Websites are out of date. The Olympic Speed Skating Oval opens in December. IF you are a figure skater, bring your USFSA card and go to the ORDA box office at the Olympic center. Identify yourself and you can buy a freestyle session for $17. The Lake Placid FSC does not handle the ice time. The Whiteface Lodge has a rink during the colder part of the season, and I have heard that the Mirror Lake Inn also puts up a rink during the season. Coming from NYC where the rink at Rockefeller Center and Wollman Rink at Central Park go up in October, I found this lack of ice to be a shock. Next time I'll phone first!

The week before Thanksgiving has very few things open, because of course everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving! We were disappointed not to be able to ice skate or visit the Olympic museum. The amenities at the Whiteface Lodge more than made up for it, but if we had stayed elsewhere I think the visit would have been a bust. We'll just have to go back for the skating, and to have another few nights at Whiteface Lodge!

Room Tip: Suites on the first floor have outdoor access.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!