“A perfect get way-far-away! Worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

The Whiteface Lodge
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7 Whiteface Inn Lane, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Ranked #2 of 31 hotels in Lake Placid
Brooklyn, New York
“A perfect get way-far-away! Worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Where to begin! This is one of the finest properties we have ever visited. Here's what truly stood out:

#1 The service. From the moment we opened the car door to go check in to when we sadly had to check out to go back home, we could not have asked for more. We were warmly greeted by the valet who offered help with bags and car parking, which we did ourselves because we did not have much. Check-in was easy and efficient. As we headed down to our suite with our things, one of the very friendly housekeepers asked if there was anything we needed and said to please call anytime. The desk staff was incredibly helpful. We wanted to take advantage of all the resort had to offer, including bowling, swimming, and a fun game room. We reserved bowling for an hour before dinner. The key to the bowling alley is kept at the front desk. Bowling, movies, and the game room games are included as part of your stay.

#2 The food. At Kanu for lunch we had superior wait service. Food was delivered in a timely manner and all of our requests were met with a smile. We had the truffle fries, mac and cheese for our daughter, caesar salad and potato leek soup for my husband and me. It was all REALLY GOOD! When we returned to Kanu for dinner, we lucked out with Zack, the bartender. We decided to eat in one of the lounge-y areas, chilling out on the leather couches with some games and drinks before dinner. Zack brought my husband a tasting of three whiskeys, and then he chose one that was so delicious he had to order a second. We also tried a smoked beer (very good microbrew) and I had a generous pour of some red wine that is escaping me as I write this. It was good! Dinner was also super tasty. More pasta for the teenager, a burger for hubby, and appetizer portion of tuna for me. All of our dishes exceeded our expectations. I did not think resort food could be so well done. This was excellent food for ANY restaurant, and we did not even try the more fancy restaurant on site. If you are NOT staying here while you visit Lake Placid, at least come and try the food.

#3 The room. We had a "junior suite" on the first floor. This meant a queen sized bed and a pull out sofa. Everything was spotlessly clean, beautifully maintained, gorgeous woodsy decor, not a speck of dust or hint of mildew in sight. It felt brand new, even though it was built in 2005. We had a refrigerator, microwave, regular stove top, kitchen sink, dishes and silverware in the room. Also worth mentioning is the hotel's commitment to eco-friendly practices. There was a Brita filter on the faucet and very nice glassware for us to use instead of plastic bottles. For those staying several days, you have the option to do your linens every three days. The bathroom was huge, had gorgeous granite countertops and a whirlpool jet tub! The toiletries provided included bath salts for that nice tub. Thick, white thirsty towels were what you would expect at a fine spa. Oh, and did I mention bathrobes? =) Perfect for covering up while you go through the underground passage to the...

#4 POOL!!! This was one of the most fun pool designs we've ever enjoyed. It is an indoor-outdoor pool where you can swim through the wall of the pool room straight outside, even in cold weather, which it certainly was during our November visit. The pool is heated. There are two hot tubs outside, and one inside. I LOVED hanging out in the outdoor hot tub while the air on my face was freezing cold. It was fantastic.

Other things to know about visiting Lake Placid:

If you are a skater, there is very limited public ice skating time. Call ahead. Websites are out of date. The Olympic Speed Skating Oval opens in December. IF you are a figure skater, bring your USFSA card and go to the ORDA box office at the Olympic center. Identify yourself and you can buy a freestyle session for $17. The Lake Placid FSC does not handle the ice time. The Whiteface Lodge has a rink during the colder part of the season, and I have heard that the Mirror Lake Inn also puts up a rink during the season. Coming from NYC where the rink at Rockefeller Center and Wollman Rink at Central Park go up in October, I found this lack of ice to be a shock. Next time I'll phone first!

The week before Thanksgiving has very few things open, because of course everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving! We were disappointed not to be able to ice skate or visit the Olympic museum. The amenities at the Whiteface Lodge more than made up for it, but if we had stayed elsewhere I think the visit would have been a bust. We'll just have to go back for the skating, and to have another few nights at Whiteface Lodge!

Room Tip: Suites on the first floor have outdoor access.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is a must do for couples celebrating a special occasion. The Lodge is so beautiful and the rooms are large, well appointed and extremely comfortable. The bar and restaurant offer wonderful atmosphere and a varied menu. I highly recommend a visit to this treasure. The spa offers lovely treatments.

Room Tip: We had a lovely suite...it was like an apartment
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I went in to my stay here preparing to be very critical. I had read some reviews, most good, some ok. With a pricetag like this place has they can't afford to slip even a little. We only stayed one night as a little weekend away. The first night we stayed in town at one of our regular spots. It is a slow time in Lake Placid as the leaves are long gone and the snow hasn't quite arrived. We stayed in town Friday night and decided to stay at Whiteface Lodge Saturday night and spoil ourselves. We were in suite 207 fyi. My wife and I love Lake Placid, we go as much as we can. I was a little upset that check in wasn't until 4pm. I called at 10:00 Saturday morning to inquire abut getting in to our room early as I knew based on the traffic in town they coudn't possibly be full. I was told they would call if we could get in early and we hit the town for a few hours. At 1:00 we decided we may as well head over and just chill in the lobby lounge. We had been before for a drink and knew it was a great place to kill a few hours. We walked up to the counter and they got us in our room 3 hours early. I was very happy, the parking lot was empty so if they had said they didn't have a room I would have been surprised. The rooms are awesome. I tend to really look over a place at this price and every detail was there. The finish work was very well done, not a penny was spared on construction clearly. We stayed in the basic suite. Nothing about this suite was basic. It had a full kitchen, 1.5 bathrooms, a very well decorated living room with fireplace, heated bathroom floors, washer/dryer, great furniture, everything was there. I can't say enough about how relaxing the room was, click on the fireplace and sit on the couch and just read a book. I could have stayed in that room for a week. I felt like I had to do everything all at once since we were only there a short time. I ran right over to the indoor/outdoor pool and hot tubs like a little kid. I swam out to the outdoor portion and jumped in the hot tub. I had it all to myself, I was giddy with excitement but I couldn't sit still. I went back to the room feeling great. I wish they had a locker room but really, not a big deal. I walked over to check out the cigar leanto and already knew what I would be doing later. We chilled in the room, ordered a bottle of champagne and a meat and cheese platter. It arrived in 20 minutes and was perfect. My wife was buried in a book in the jetted tub and ready to get in a robe and sit by our fire. I took my opportunity to go buy a cigar. They had a great selection. I settled on the Rockey Patel 1992 if you must know. They gave me a cutter, matches, and a cedar stick. I grabbed a glass of Highland Park 15 year and ran to the leanto again like a little boy. The scotch selection was incredible. Was is cheap, no, but I wasn't there to spend a small amount of money so I didn't really care. I started smoking my cigar and wished the fire was lit in the fire pit at the leanto. I used the phone in the leanto and decided I would see when they light the fire as it was a little early. Before I hung up someone was behind me lighting the fire. I was impressed, I love when something happens before I can even ask. The staff was great. I found them very friendly, accomodating, and just all around pleasant. Sometimes at a place like this I almost expect a little chip on the shoulder. I am not of the income bracket that frequents a place like this and I am sure the staff puts up with some demanding folks. I never felt anything but welcome and appreciated. After my incredibly satisfying cigar and scotch I went to the room to get ready for dinner. We initially intended to eat at Kanu, the restaurant. We decided last minute to just eat at the lounge because that is just more our speed. We had a $75 meal voucher, so the price wasn't the issue although it was just a tad expensive. I will do a separate review for Kanu but rest assured, it was really really yummy. After dinner my wife and I went down to the game room because we are really just big kids. We played every game. Air hockey, that weird shuffle board game on the long wooded table, etc...they had it all. We were tempted to go bowling but my wife had knee surgery and we thought it was too risky. The bowling alley is pretty cool but I am sure if they are full it is hard to get in. The next morning we had wished we stayed two nights. I called to see if there was any way we could check out late. No problem, 12:30 instead of 11:00 so we could have an awesome breakfast and take our time adjusting back to normal life. This too made us very happy. I can't think of a complaint. I really can't. I guess if anything I wish they were adults only? I am not anti kid or anything, and they are very kid friendly so it wasn't as though I didn't expect there to be children. The kids that were there were just fine especially since these days parents just give them some I-device and they melt away in to digi-land. I would 100% go here again. I absolutely got what I paid for. Is it expensive, sure, but I never mind paying a premium when the resort delivers and man did they deliver. I don't want to go on and on but if anyone wants to message me with detail stuff I would be more than happy to give more accolades. We did not use the spa. We didn't feel the need, the room itself was like our own private spa anyhow. I can't wait to save up enough money to go back, ha! Thanks Whiteface Lodge, for not missing even the smallest detail. If you go here and have numerous complaints, I hate to tell you that you will never be happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boys 5 and 9 loved the pool and the games room. We loved that the boys were having so much fun, but enjoyed pretty much everything else about the place too. The lodge made me think of a modern version of the historic Chateau Montebello with its log cabin architecture, but without any of the inconveniences of a century old lodge. I couldn't help but admire the incredible attention to detail of the creators of the hotel. When you see a bowling alley, skating rink (with refrigeration and roof), a kids and adults tennis court, a fishing pond, washer/dryer in each room, movie theatre, smores beside the campfire (I'm not kidding) ... you can't help but start to look for faults or at least something they should have but didn't throw into the lodge. Of course they could have done something exotic, but they didn't which wouldn't impress me anyways. Not to be outdone by the surroundings, the staff were equally fantastic in caring for our children so we could enjoy the dining room. If your family intends to visit Lake Placid, this is an amazing place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KCMO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently stayed at the Whiteface Lodge and it was just wonderful. From the lobby to the room it had a very woodsy decor (as expected) and the staff was so welcoming and helpful. In fact, we were escorted to our room and told of the awesome amenities. We had a movie theater, NICE fitness room, and a game room that included a bowling alley..how cool is that??

The room we had was a jr. suite and it was so comfy, complete with a washer/dryer. I think the floors in our bathroom were heated too. They had a lot of activities including a movie, spa, hot tubs, heated swimming pools, and smores by the campfire. This place was beyond AWESOME and I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris P, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for the review, I am glad to hear you got to experience and enjoyed all of the amazing amenities on the property! It is truly unique that a Resort offers so much to do onsite for both families and adults and I we look forward to hosting you again soon.
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This lodge is so pleasant. The staff are friendly, the decor cozy and there is plenty to do at the Lodge (heavenly spa) and in the surrounding area. We ate in the suite which was nicely supplied for home cooking. Enjoy and feel relaxed when you leave!

Room Tip: Ground floor of the building with the reception, theatre and games room works for us, easy access wi...
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We went for a weekend getaway recently... it was our first time at Whiteface Lodge, but have visited Lake Placid many times. This is a resort where you can do activities all day, or just stroll the property and relax at the spa. It is about a mile from the center of town. We even went bowling (yes, they have their own bowling alley!) If you have kids, there is plenty for them to do while you spend time at the jacuzzi. There is an extensive game room, and a large movie theatre with movies three times a day (they even provide you with the popcorn!) It is pricey, though, but the rooms and amenities are far above what you would expect, especially in a small town like Lake Placid. Great location for a wedding... there was one each day we were there. The rooms include a kitchenette and large living room area with huge plasma TV, and a lovely gas fireplace. Beautiful view from the very large balcony. Maid service came twice daily, and both the room and the resort were immaculate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!