“Phenomenal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Kirkland, Canada
“Phenomenal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed at the Whiteface Lodge from Sept 14 to Sept 16, 2012. We had an amazing time during our stay. The personnel were courteous and friendly. We enjoyed the spa as well as the pool and hot tub. At night, we sat around the pit fire located near the pool area and enjoyed making our own s'mores. The resort is impeccably maintained. We are definitely planning to come back for another weekend away with the girls. Yes, it’s a little pricey but so worth it….you will not be disappointed by the quality of service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Whiteface Lodge from September 14 to September 16 for a 2 nights stay in a one bedroom superior suite.

The service was perfect from start to finish. To start with, we were in a very large bedroom (approximately 600 square feet) consisting of a bedroom, a dining room, a lounge and a balcony. Plenty of room for 2 of us. And the hotel is very quiet so I don't hear any noise while you are asleep.

We also had dinner at Kanu restaurant. Excellent restaurant with a large selection of wine to choose from including New York state locally grown wines.

We also used the spa and were pleased with the professionalism of the staff.

In summary, prices are a bit expensive but significantly cheaper than the Lake Placid Lodge located nearby. This is truly a five star hotel with the details and attention to details that 5 star hotels desserves to their customer.

We would return to the Whiteface Lodge without any doubt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just returned to whiteface mountain lodge with 2 young kids...and it was again excellent, from hikes around, pool, kids camp, spa, canoe club....only downside is the waiting time at the restaurant, and the fact that rooms are not ready before 4pm

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Whiteface is a quintessential Adirondack Lodge- a luxurious log and stone structure with a cozy feel. Our deluxe suite was spacious with a full kitchen, dining table, and a living room with a fireplace and flat screen TV. The bedroom was not particularly large and a little dark, but the room was nicely furnished and had a small flat screen TV. The main bathroom and powder room were large and well appointed- granite sink tops in both.The main bathroom had a soaking tub and separate, glass enclosed shower. Also, the suite had a small washer/dryer complete with laundry detergent and ample closet space. The patio located off the living room was small, but nicely furnished with cushioned, wicker furniture. The rooms were kept clean and our room was cleaned by the time we returned to the room before lunch each day. Turn down service was a different story- the first night we did not receive any service and on 2 of the other nights, we had to call because the turn down service was not done by the time we returned from dinner. They did leave wonderful chocolate chip cookies , which somewhat made up for the delay.

Kanu restaurant is lovely with large, two- sided fireplaces on both sides of the room. The breakfast buffet, which seems to be included in all room rates, had ample choices and the food was tasty. The service was okay, but not as attentive as I would have expected with refilling beverages. The other downside was that there were too many children wandering around unsupervised, and they had a tendency to take food with their hands. Perhaps Kanu should have someone supervise the area - it would be nicer if parents kept an eye on their children and prevented them from acting uncivilized in restaurants. Dinner at Kanu was a better experience. Service and food quality were top notch. Also, the ice cream parlor on the lower level is a great treat.

As for the property, the "in and out" pool area is beautiful, but there are not enough lounge chairs. The beach club requires a shuttle and is not that convenient.

Here's the bad- the Whiteface Spa. It is not that the facial was bad, it was the fact that the price for the same facial changed on a daily basis. When I made my hotel reservation, they emphasized that Spa appointments fill up quickly and I should make reservations in advance of the trip. I noticed that the flyer each day advertised the same facial with the price lowered by $20 one day and by $40 the following day. On the day of my facial, the price was $20 lower than the price that I booked and it took a visit to the Concierge and a phone call with the Spa Manager (who had already left for the day by the time my service was completed) to get them to honor the "price of the day." I still feel that I overpaid by $20, but I was not going to argue the point. I understand that they were trying to get people into the Spa, but they should offer the same price to all guests. Bewarned of this practice and make sure that you check the flyer so that you do not overpay.

The Whiteface Shuffle refers to our check-in experience. When I made our reservations, I requested an upper floor which did not face the parking lot and early check-in. In March, I received an e-mail from Tyler and Anna (the Concierges) which confirmed my requests and advised that the only thing that they could not guarantee was early check-in. No problem, we would arrive as planned and if the room was not ready, then they would store our luggage. When we arrived, we were pleased to learn that our room was ready; however, we were given a room on the first floor which faced the parking lot. When I mentioned my request and the e-mail from the Concierge, I was told that this was the only available room and that there was nothing that they could do to change the location. When we arrived in the room, there were 2 notes on the dining table- one made reference to a gift that we should enjoy (however, there was no gift) and the other was a welcome note which contained the name of another guest. Although it was apparent that someone else complained about the room on the first floor and was moved (probably into the room on the upper floor that we were supposed to have), I brought the note to the Concierge to ask what happened and to inquire about the missing gift. The Concierge at the desk said that the handwriting belonged to a different Concierge who was in the office, and to wait a minute while she went in the office to get her. When the second Concierge arrived, to my surprise she denied that it was her handwriting (the shuffle) and stammered as she attempted to provide an explanation which did not make sense- she said that the note was left from guests who were there weeks ago- bizarre. In any event, she told me that the gifts were bathsalts to use in the soaking tub and a sunscreen lip balm. She apologized and said that the gifts would be sent to our room immediately. Of course, we never received the "gifts." We did receive an apology with drink coupons for the mix up with the room and another explanation which did not make sense- the hotel has a mix of hotel rooms and rooms which have fractional ownership, and the only deluxe suite hotel rooms are on the first floor facing the front of the building. (More shuffling!) Even if that is true, why didn't Tyler or Anna inform me when I requested a specific location? I almost laughed out loud at check out when the Front Desk agent made a point of apologizing again for the issue with the room and said that my room preferences are noted for our next visit. If you didn't honor them this time and there are no rooms in that category in a different part of the hotel, how on earth can they honor my request "next time?"

Despite the Spa and Front Desk/ Concierge experiences, the place is lovely and one of the best in Lake Placid. We stayed at The Mirror Lake Inn on a prior visit and, in my opinion, the rooms/facilities are much nicer at Whiteface. Would we return? Probably.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family and I have stayed at the property over Labor Day weekend 3 of the last 4 years. The first 2 years were exceptional, this year was a step down.
The service was inconsistent, not the 5 star experience of prior years. I had a problem with noisy upstairs neighbors and, when I complained to the front desk, I was told there was nothing they could do as they were full and they handed me coupons for free drinks.
Cushions on the chairs by the pool are ripped, the fishing pond had broken rods, dead fish and garbage around it.
We ordered room service and all of the food - salmon, pasta and burger were overcooked.. Last year's salmon was a large, fresh piece, this year's was a 5 ounce strip.
My son slept on the sofa bed, which had been acceptable in prior years. This year it compressed down to the springs. Clearly beyond its useful life.
On top of the Lodge being full, they also booked 2 weddings for the weekend so the staff was frazzled.
On the bright side, my wife and I both used the spa and the service and facilities were excellent. Kids had a lot of fun in the game room, the ice cream parlor and the movie theater. We enjoyed kayaking at the beach and smores by the fire.
Management appears to be trying to maximize revenue and hoping the guests won't notice.
This one will be checking the other options before we return.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Whiteface Lodge to the moment we left, everything was flawless. We wanted to stay at The Point, but with our children in tow that was not possible. The Lake Placid Lodge (where we have stayed before) was booked, so we gave the Whiteface a shot. In comparison the Whiteface was great value (nearly half the price for similar quality). The service was attentive and gracious from the warm and helpful valets, to the front desk, room service, spa, and wonderfully engaging and capable bartenders.

The room was well sized, good furnishings, quiet, good bedding and a nice view.

Often it is the small things that make a big difference - we were traveling with a small collection of very valuable wines. When we went out for the day, the front desk was more than willing to make sure that the wines were kept safe, cool and secure. Cost the Lodge nothing but meant a lot to us.

Upon checkout, this was the first time ever I was tempted to ask to speak to the hotel manager, not to complain, but instead to say "we had a wonderful stay, start to finish and thank you to you and your entire staff."

Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We are returning from spending a week at the White Face Lodge and we had an exceptional experience. Service was everything you would expect from a resort at this price point. Rooms were large and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful. And there is SO much for kids to do: a game room, a pool, an ice cream parlor, a bowling alley, a theater (which had a live magic show one night), and a kids camp. meanwhile, the daily breakfast buffet was great, and the two restaurants were really wonderful (tho pricey). Only downside: the workout room was a little small and you would find yourself waiting if you went at peak time (8-8:30). And, if you don't have kids, you may not find this very relaxing - it is very focused on families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Whiteface Lodge? Share your experiences!