“Spring break holidays” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Placid Summit Hotel

Save Saved
You added Lake Placid Summit Hotel to your Saves list
Lake Placid Summit Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2375 Saranac Avenue, (same as 8-12 Saranac Avenue), Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
“Spring break holidays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice Hotel and great smiling and welcoming attitude from the host personnel. Gym is small but convenient. Nice swiming pool. Breakfast was good. Parking is easy. Located at walking distance from all the interesting restaurants and tours.

Room Tip: Call them directly for reservation instead of going through web services. Special rates for Canadia...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stan A, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Placid Summit Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful response. Very pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. We just had renovations done on the gym and are in the process of getting more equipment to fill up the open space. Our location is a big favorite with everyone, being so close to all the shops and restaurants is very convenient. Next time your planning to come to Lake Placid we look forward to having you stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here with our sons youth hockey team. It was also NCAA weekend so all hotels in town were packed. Even with the team discount we got for the room, it wasn't worth the price we paid. The hotel is in need of major upgrading and deep cleaning! There was some evidence of construction taking place, but not in the rooms.

The convenience to shops within walking distance was really the only pro. You could leave your car in the hotel lot, if you could find a space. Parking lot was poorly cleaned of snow, and lot filled up very quickly. There was overflow parking, but across and up the street a bit; not very convenient.

I liked the idea of the environmentally friendly large refillable shampoo/conditioner, but they were empty after one shower and never refilled. The tiny soap lasted one hand washing. The restaurant downstairs was severely overpriced. I paid $9 for a SALAD! Bathroom was outdated and needed major cleaning. Room’s heater turned on and off every 30 seconds all night, so kept us up, but had to have on. Rugs, curtains and furniture were old and dirty. Pool was ok, hot tub murky and skeptical. Staff was nice.

I wouldn't stay here again, even with a team discount, and I don’t recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just returned from a stay at the lake Placid Summit Hotel. I would definitely consider staying here again, if the price is right. It is conveniently located within walking distance to the shops and restaurants, which is nice, because you can leave your car in the lot, while you see the sights.
It is clear that the management is in the process of remodeling. We had a King Suite, which was fantastic for our family. We had 2 King beds and brought a camping cot for our son. We were told on the phone that the maximum capacity for this Suite was 4 adults. However, when we arrived, we noticed that there was a small hide a bed (probably from the 1970s), that we did not end up using. Our suite had 2 full baths, which was amazing for a family of 5. Both bathrooms appeared to have been recently remodeled, with new tubs and tile. Very nice. The only amenities included were shampoo and conditioner dispensers hanging in the tub (no lotion, etc).

On the down side, it was clear that some things in the room had not been updated yet. The curtains were very dated and very dirty. We noticed this mostly because the heating system caused the curtains to billow frantically whenever it was on (most of our stay), and the stains were quite obvious. Our carpet was frayed in the doorway, and the door did not always close completely.
Also, they were less than thorough when cleaning our room on a daily basis- they did not replace some of amenities that had been used- soap, coffee, tissues, etc. Honestly, the tiny bar of soap they provided will not last 4 days!!

Finally, DO NOT waste your money on the Breakfast- they only provide the standard breakfast that comes free with many hotels these days- it was eggs, sausage, French toast, a waffle maker, toast, bagels, juice, and coffee. There are several great breakfast/coffee places within walking distance- you are better off spending your $7.99 elsewhere!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
at78rpm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Lake Placid is near where I live, and I know what to expect from restaurants and hotels there. Lodging ranges from exquisite to...the Lake Placid Summit. Over the past few years, there was quite obviously construction going on there; the scaffolding was up for well over a year in the front. It was safe to assume that the place was getting a major facelift, which would have been a great idea; but no, they just enlarged the lobby a bit.

The rooms are painted 1972 yellow. The curtains were some sort of 1972 fiberglass. The television was 20 years old. The beds were uncomfortable, and here's a really odd thing about the bedding: the sheets were turned out over the bedspread, so that unless we remade the bed completely, the closest thing to our bodies would have been the bedspread. Not my cup of tea.

My wife and I shared a "suite" with my brother and sister-in-law. Suite? It was two rooms with a door between them. And with TWO rooms, we had exactly ONE chair to sit in -- and it was in our room, so my brother had to sit on the bed to do his work. This is inexcusable. No refrigerator, and essentially no coffee maker, because what's there is like a knock-off single serve thing with two tiny discs of what may be coffee. Two cups? Two cups and I'm just getting started!

The elevator, which seemed like it was a half mile from our room, looked like a freight elevator. It had received a careless paint job at some point in the not all that distant past.

The view out the window was that of -- dirt. I could reach my arm out and touch a very steep hill. No natural light entered the room through this window.

The Internet connection was extremely pokey, but that happens from time to time up in these parts, where Time Warner calls the shots and we duck.

We did not eat the buffet, largely because we simply did not want to be in that building any longer. All of which is a shame, because the Summit occupies a nice spot downtown. It's just way out of date and needs either demolition or a complete renovation.

Room Tip: I'm not aware of any good rooms, though I'm sure one or two have a nice view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
South Glens Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Summit Hotel. I had a nice room on 2ND floor, with no view. Room was clean and very inexpensive. The housekeeper was very helpful, cute and funny. She knew where I could grab a quick meal and gave me a ton of places that I could check out in the area.
Parking was a huge problem. Too many cars and the parking lot was poorly plowed and salted. Breakfast was a free danish, muffins and coffee. There was a paid breakfast on Saturday but I did not go due to the fact I had to hit the road. Although it did give off a great smell threw out the hotel. Yes in deed this is a older hotel and you can tell. However, I can see that the owner is making several upgrades threw out the hotel. I was very very pleased with this hotel and plan on stopping back in on my way back home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and stayed here on 2/15/13 threw 2/18/13. The hotel it's self looks as if it was built for the US Olympics. Very clean, just old. Lots of long hallways, not sure where they went to, but the kids at the hotel seemed to like them. My husband and I stayed in room 334. Very large clean bed room, plenty of windows to look out, a balcony and Flatt screen TV. We went down for breakfast every morning, and it was very nice to have something different on the buffet line every day. I tried some new things, like breakfast pizza. I should of asked how to make it because I think my grand kids will love it. Monday breakfast was the best and my husband could hardly wait. Eggs Benedict, is his favorite and I can not cook it right. He was very impress with it, so impressed that he had three. He said it was the best he has had in years, and the hollandaise sauce was even perfect. It was well worth the eight bucks and change. We will return in a few months ( got a new grand baby coming) and we hope the sun room will be done by then. We did not use the pool or the fitness room. The only problem that we had was the parking. There might of been more room if there wasn't so much snow in the way, and half the people didn't know how to park.

Room Tip: Try out the breakfast, you will be very pleased.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Glens Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently stayed on the 9th, 10th and 11th of February. I was unsure of what to expect when I got there due to all of the negative reviews that are on here. I arrived at 1pm and our room was ready for us to check into. The front desk staff was friendly and the lobby was clean. I did notice that the old lobby, which looks and is set up as a seating area for people to relax and unwind, which I took full advantage of. The rock wall and fire place are beautiful and I can’t wait to go back to see the final results. All of the staff that I spoke with and saw in passing seemed to be very friendly and seemed to enjoy doing their job. My room was clean and I had no issues at all. We stayed in room 113, nice artwork and very well set up and on the ground level I did not have a view but. I did not care anyway.
Saturday morning breakfast was great for the price of $7.95, all you can eat breakfast buffet, included eggs, sausage, bacon, French toast, waffles, hash and other items I can’t remember right now, but my favorite was the sausage biscuits and gravy, Yummy. Everything was nicely presented in a clean dining room with very nice ladies serving.
Over all I was very impressed and I do indeed plan on returning to this hotel.
You should keep in mind that this hotel is from the 80’s and is being upgraded daily, no its not luxuries, it’s old but it is very family oriented and great for the price. Try it out, I’m sure you will like it too.

Room Tip: 113- Very cute room. Has a separate living room from the bed room, jet tub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Placid Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!