“Totally Underrated” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 86 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Annandale, NJ
“Totally Underrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stopped by this restaurant and expected a hole in the wall shack. We were completely surprised to see a beautiful interior. The bar and dining areas are gorgeous. Its obvious that alot of money was spent to renovate this property. The food is outstanding. I had the brisket and some hot wings. Some of the best I have ever had. The corn bread was the only disappointment, as it had some type of sweet honey syrup on it. The staff is well trained. The sign outside the building is difficult to see, as it is printed on faded ink on rough wood and you can hardly read it. We drove by it twice before seeing the place. Apparently there is also an upstairs meeting room that can be used as a conference room overlooking Mirror Lake. I will keep that in mind for future sales meetings. Highly recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, NY
“Another fake BBQ tourist trap.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I like barbecue and I know am a good cook. On my first visit to Lake Placid, tried this place because it was close to my hotel. When I visit a BBQ joint I HAVE to smell the smoker as I approach. Nothing to smell around this place. No smoke smell outside and zero smoke odor inside the restaurant. The ribs are served naked and VERY overcooked (downright mushy) with ZERO smoke flavor. No red ring at all and ZERO smoke flavor. I'm almost certain these ribs are baked in an oven. On the bright side, we were seated in the back of the restaurant and the views were spectacular.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
lw5530, Owner at Smoke Signals, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
TheOldDude,

I am saddened and shocked to see you didn't enjoy your food experience at Smoke Signals. We have four smokers in the top floor kitchen, and all of our proteins are smoked in house using combinations of apple, hickory, and maple wood depending on the cut of meat. We actually have a video that includes some images of our smoking process on yelp if you would like to check it out. We have had many "BBQ Heads" from various BBQ meccas across the country dine with us, and they've at worst enjoyed, and at best raved about our various items. I hope you decide to dine with us again as I am more than confident your experience was an outlier.

Thanks,

Jason
Highland, New York, United States
“Perfect dinner spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

No trip to Lake Placid is complete without a meal at this tip notch barbecue joint. Smoke Signals has a casual atmosphere with a vast menu and delicious drink options. My wife and I both went with traditional ribs and were not disappointed. Fall off the bone tender and the house bbq sauce is amazing. The bacon mac and cheese is a great side choice. Love this place, looking forward to our next visit.

New England
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Had the opportunity to have two meals here in the same week, and both times we had a great time, the view is exceptional, waitstaff fun and professional, and the food was very good too!

Their pulled pork and pulled chicken was great, and the portions are sizable (we took some home both times). Try the duck fat fries - not the healthiest thing you can eat, but may be the tastiest!

The coolest thing was that the floor to ceiling windows with the amazing view of Mirror Lake actually open up - like the whole wall opens up - and a screen comes down to keep out flying insects.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, PA
“Great food and great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We usually avoid restaurants with great views because they tends to have mediocre food. Smoke Signals is right on Mirror Lake and has a screened back wall looking over it while keeping the black flies out.

The food was great. We had the chicken wings, the southwest BBQ chicken salad and the beef brisket. All we really good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere