“Full of locals” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout
Albany, New York
“Full of locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have a time share in Lake Placid and have been up there for 2 weeks for the last 10 years. We have gone by this restaurant a hundred times and never noticed it. My wife thought this was a bagel place she had read about it and we stopped in.

I had a hot turkey sandwich with dressing and marshed potatoes which was excellent. My wife had chicken soup and raved about the bread that came with it. The menu overall looked good.

We were the only tourists in the place, everyone else being from the town and on a first name basis with the owner. That's a pretty good sign that the food is above average. When I was paying the bill I asked the owner how long she has been in business and she said 15 years. I told her this was the first time we stopped in and she said that she hoped we would come back. We will.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Ottawa
“I can't believe the good reviews. It sucked.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

For the first time ever Tripadvisor reviews steered me wrong. This place was across the street from our hotel and we should have listened when other guests told us to get in the car and drive to downtown lake placid. They have 12 kinds of bread, all sourdough, and all teeth chipping hard. There are no wait staff, which is fine if the counter staff aren't rude and assume that everyone knows that they serve themselves coffee from crappy plastic thermos at a rickety table by the front door, get themselves drinks (even water) from the fridge, bus their own tables, get their own food from the counter, etc. Picture yourself on the set of Rosanne, do everything yourself, have mediocre food, and be thankful the payment machine doesn't have a tip option. If you order the pancakes read the menu where it says the thimble of syrup is all you get because it's expensive, so if you want more' pay for it.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“PANCAKES AND SANDWICHES!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Oh, man. We decided to have breakfast here and got an order of the Adirondack Flapjacks and an order of the multigrain or whole wheat (I forget) pancakes. The Adirondack Flapjacks were the. best. pancakes. I've. ever. had. And I try pancakes EVERYWHERE I go. I love them . And I looooved these.

We had lunch here twice, too- their bread is phenomenal, and I really enjoyed their chicken salad sandwich. I tried a side of the chickpea salad, as well, which was also amazing.

It's laid back- we loved the atmosphere. Help yourself to water or drinks from the old fridge or grab some coffee from the table and pay for what you ate at the counter when you're done. Lots of magazines to read and games for the littles ones.

Loved it all, and we'll be back.

Visited October 2012
Wayne, NJ
“Simply good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in thinking this place was more of a deli than a sit down restaurant, and it kinda is. You order from the counter and find a table and they bring you your food. I had soup and jerk chicken sandwich and both were excellent. The sandwich was soaked from the sauce, but still good. I''ve read others who complained about the woman behind the counter, but the woman I spoke to was nothing but nice. She even gave me some recommendations for dinner. Maybe she had to deal with one too many tourists on the days others visited. All I know is I''ll be back .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario
“Food is still good there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had lunch when we arrived. Food was still good as before.
Maybe the table could be cleaned a bit more thoroughly (some spots were sticky).

Visited October 2012