“very good food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Liquids and Solids at the handlebar

Liquids and Solids at the handlebar
6115 sentinel road, Lake Placid, NY 12946
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

They know how to cook a very good dish and make it look even better, it was delicious and the staff was very friendly

• Visited June 2014

Buffalo, New York, United States
“Just a word of caution...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

If you are looking for standard pub fare or traditional comfort food, look elsewhere.The menu is...eclectic. I happen to love trying anything different or unusual, and many items on the menu fit that bill perfectly. Many items are procured locally, so the menu changes often and reflects what is available. The downside is that you may not find something you really want. The upside is that it will be fresh and expertly prepared. Bring an adventurous palate, and you will not be disappointed. Very casual atmosphere, and friendly wiatstaff. Be prepared to wiat for a table druing any remotely busy time of year.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Little Ferry, New Jersey
“Most Unique Menu I ever saw”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Liquids and Solids was unique! The menu was out of the ordinary, but very good. I can't remember what I ordered, but my husband ordered the Beef Hearts which he said was very good. The atmosphere was very casual. We were seated promptly. It was a perfect restaurant during the Ironman week competition. Lots of protein for the runner!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“We try to go here when we're in town hiking Adirondacks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

In this area we like Black Bear, Interlaken Inn and Liquids and Solids. Of the 3 liquids and solids is the most casual, the cuisine is the most out of the box (creative). They get the biggest crowd and serve dinner until 11 PM (on weekends at least). The ambiance is a bit dark, packed on weekends, full of locals...there is a long bar w/ lots of stools, high bar tables with high stools and some lower tables with banquettes and chairs. In the back there is a fire oven. In the bathroom they put fresh flowers and organic soaps and creams. They try to use local seasonal produce and meat.

For years when I lived in NYC I enjoyed asian fusion. Key word: FUSION, I do like fusion and creative chefs. My current favorite resto is Maison Boulud in Montreal self described 'French inspired' cuisine. So this is a casual place with food that is generously portioned. There is a very long sophisticated cocktail list, that is innovative. Drinks are sizeable, strong and best of all delicious. Well last night I had the Jane (cuke flavored) and another Gin and Juice I didn't care for the flavor. Another time I had Lavandula, that involves raspberries and lavender syrup which I'll order again for sure. SUPER, CREATIVE, INNOVATIVE, WELL-PREPARED COCKTAILS. They have a sizable beer list too of international beers.

About the food, they like to create things like bacon made from pork cheeks 'face bacon' (oh gross, right?! says she who recently tried the whole pig head at Pied de Cochon Montreal! etc. or whimsical hybrid names. So if you don't recognize an input they may have invented the word. We have been 2-3 times. This past time their online menu didn't really appeal to me. When we ate there last night (Saturday) we could also choose from the nightly specials. At first nothing appealed to me...then we ordered and I really enjoyed dinner and was pleasantly surprised. My husband even ordered a few things that I didn't really want to try. As other reviews have noted, the menu changes often (which is great actually for going back any time!) and the waitress will say that everything is great and so you'll just have to take a chance and order whatever seems promising. Apparently their charcuterie plate is popular though I've not tried it. Also apparently, their brussel sprouts are a permanent fixture. Finally, for the fish dishes, anything not obviously local is probably previously frozen given their location. We had duck heart salad, beet salad, wild mushroom dish, meatball dish and fried perch. We liked everything. Perch was local 'from around the corner' lightly dusted and fried and very tasty. There are bookshelves around the bar area with great cookbooks by top chefs.

So it's not small fine dining portions, it's on the heartier side and w/ interesting preparations.

• Visited June 2014
Perth
“Innovative dining in a small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Unlike other reviewers, I loved Liquids and Solids. I loved the darkness of the restaurant (it wasn't so dark I couldn't see what I was eating) and the unconventional way they prepare and serve food and drinks.

The menu has changed since I was there in December, so I can't remember what dishes I ordered, but I know we had a few cockails and an assortment of the small plate. I think there was a been cheek which was amazing.

Service was attentive, food arrived quickly. It wasn't too busy inside. The wood fire/potbelly was going, keeping the place warm.

• Visited December 2013