“Good value and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Air Motel

Alpine Air Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Placid
Alpine Air Motel
99 Saranac Ave., Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Ranked #23 of 31 hotels in Lake Placid
New York City, New York
“Good value and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Travelled to Lake Placid for a weekend, got there late on a Fri and checked out on Sun. But I loved this place. It is a bit dated, but it is well maintained, clean and comfortable. There's so much to do and see in Lake Placid, there's no need to spend a lot of time in the room. The rooms have a fridge, free wi-fi, free parking, tv with enough channels. The office is not open 24 hours but they made an exception for me checking in late. It's not far off Main St and easy to find. There's a supermarket across the road and plenty of shops and restaurants on Main St.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Glurch2891
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

On a last minute getaway for Labor Day weekend, we were able to get a room at the Alpine Air Motel. I think the rest of the town was sold out! Thank goodness the weather was great because the hotel was not anyplace you want to spend any time. The furnishing were so old, they could shoot a 1960s TV Sitcom here without any problems. The pool is in a chain linked cage in the parking area. The appliances and lights have to share an outlet, i.e you have to unplug one to use the other. Thank goodness it was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. In a pinch it was okay, but just a slight improvement from sleeping in the car.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

For a quick overnight and a hike in the Adirondacks this motel is great....price is right. The location is perfect...near the restaurants, just outside Lake Placid and close enough to the High Peaks. You may have the pool (outdoors) to yourself. Motel is usually used by overnight guests.

Room Tip: Second floor quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I went for a four-day weekend to Lake Placid. We spent little time in our room, but found the accommodations more than enough for our admittedly simple needs and expectations. We had complimentary Wi-Fi, heat and AC, a fridge, and hot running water. We could walk to the center of Lake Placid in less than half an hour. When we checked out, the guy at the desk shook my hand and thanked me for staying. We had a very good experience considering the low cost we paid to stay.

Room Tip: We only shared a wall with one room, but never heard a peep regardless.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

The Econolodge at the other end of town wanted 90+ dollars a night, got a room here for ~50.
The first room I got smelled quite a bit - made mention of this to front desk - they gave me the room next to it - it smelled less - bought a can of Febreeze, it helped. It is run down and not somewhere I would recommend to a couple or an asthmatic - but a great find for a hiker or kayaker who already smells a bit anyhow. I would stay here again, unless I found better accommodations at the same price, which in Lake Placid is probably not likely. Better than a rainy night in a tent, and close to downtown ~ 2 minute drive.

Room Tip: they were willing to provide me with another room after I found the first one a bit smelly, don'...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Victor, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I checked in Thursday evening and wasnt too impressed. Its old. The whole unit leans down hill. When you walk across the floor everything rattles. The bed is about 20 years old. Oh well...it was just me and it would do.

Friday evening the neighbors arrived. I went to bed at 9...was awoken at 10 to a thud, thud, thud. My bed was shaking ever so slightly with each thud. All they were doing was walking around in their room getting settled. I couldnt hear any voices. I finally fell back asleep...and again was awoken at midnight when the rest of their party arrived. Thud, thud, thud. The whole room shakes.

I had to change my plans for hiking on Saturday to something that didnt require as much time...as I had planned on getting up at 4am. I didnt end up waking up till 830.

No one in office at 9. Went and did my hike...came back...no one in the office at 4pm. 5pm I found the owner very defensive when I requested a refund. He would not give me a refund for my night of misery. I should have told him at midnight about the problem he said. So he could do what? I wasnt switching rooms at midnight, and you cant tell guests they cant walk around their room. We argued back and forth and he gave me a refund for my final night there. I packed my stuff and headed down the road and found somewhere else. IT WAS WORTH IT.

There is a reason why this place is so cheap! Anyday now and the place will crumble to the ground.

Also.....they housekeeper will make your bed...and thats it. Do not expect your room to be vaccumed, your trash to be emptied, your sink to be cleaned, or new towels to be supplied.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

This hotel is a bit aged, but very clean. The location was exceptional and the price was right. The staff was professional and polite and the room was very clean. We were looking for a place to just spend the night and this place fit the bill.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Alpine Air Motel? Share your experiences!