“This time the reviews were wrong.” 4 of 5 stars

Northwoods Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2520 Main Street, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Ballston Spa, New York
“This time the reviews were wrong.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Before my husband and I went to Lake Placid I read all the reviews for this hotel (I almost changed my reservation) But I have to say this time the reviews were wrong! Since it was kind of the "off season" the rates were very low so I couldn't resist, the hotel was more then I expected! It was a bit run down,but in a great location, rooms were very clean and large and the bed was very comfortable! I got a great nights sleep. The man that greeted us (John) was very nice! I asked to switch rooms because I wanted a balcony and he gave me just what I wanted! (thank you John) A great band was playing downstairs in the restaurant. We really did have a great time! I would go back again and again! I think we found our new hotel in Placid!

Room Tip: The front rooms overlook the lake, but the back rooms with a balcony seem bigger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

But it's not funny. The rooms, halls and elevator reminded us of a men's college dorm that had been thoroughly trashed. Dirty, ripped up carpeting, (very) used furniture, paper thin walls through which one can hear everything. I've never paid money to spend the night in a place like this. After driving 5 hours to Lake Placid for a funeral, my husband wanted to drive another 5 hours to return home rather than spending the night there. We were so tired we eventually relented. But we couldn't wait to leave. All in all, an outrage that not even it's good location makes up for. There are SO many choices in Lake Placid. No reason to subject yourself to this. I wish I had taken a photo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rotterdam, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I love Lake Placid, and we really needed a getaway, so Lake Placid was an easy choice for us. We always stay at the Northwoods Inn. I love this classic hotel for so many reasons, one of which is the location! There is no better location in Lake Placid. Period. It's right on Main Street, right in the middle of LP's main drag. You won't need your car if you stay here. You just park your car -- the hotel has its own free parking lot -- and walk.

We happened to be in town on the weekend of the NCAA Div. III hockey championships, and my alma mater, SUNY Oswego, was in the finals! So we were able to watch two hockey games for $50 (for two tix) and walk back to our hotel room. Perfect.

We were on the fifth floor, so our views of Mirror Lake were magnificent! We overlooked the lake and Main Street, so it's fun to people watch when your eyes aren't glued to the lake or the mountains. The view is stunning in the summer, when the lake isn't snow covered, like it was the weekend we were there.

The rooms are roomy -- they have a good-sized refrigerator, a stove, dishes, cups and whatever you need if you wanted to cook in. There's also a couch and a chair in that room that you can lounge on if you want.

What's nice is the kitchen/eating area is separate from the bed area, which can be closed off with doors. We had an amazing king-sized Tempur Pedic mattress that I fell in love with and slept like a rock on. Our room was clean, comfortable, and close enough for us to get back to if we wanted to take a midday break after exploring LP.

The Northwoods Inn isn't the Ritz or the Waldorf, so if you're looking for five-star elegance, go stay somewhere else. I love the Northwoods Inn because of its history -- it was built in 1926 and played host to stars such as George Burns and Kate Smith -- and its unpretentious charm.

Everyone was very polite and helpful, including the hotel's owner, who sat down and chatted with us in the lobby.

Sunday was St. Patrick's Day, so we went down to the hotel's restaurant, Delta Blue, to hear an Irish band that was playing. The place was pretty packed and everyone was having a great time, us included. The band was excellent. So was the food, which had a New Orleans theme. I had a blackened shrimp po'boy that was delicious! And the prices are reasonable, which is always a good thing. The restaurant is also a bar after 9 p.m. and they have live music on the weekends, which we love.

If you're looking for convenience, some of the best views of Mirror Lake and the mountains, and the perfect location, check out The Northwoods Inn. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Northwoods Inn has going for it THE best location in all of Lake Placid, right on Main Street in the middle of the strip. It has it's own free parking, some beautiful views of Mirror Lake and Whiteface Mountain. What this place doesn't have going for it is a clean, comfortable atmosphere. First, the public areas, aside from the main lobby, are old and run down. Walking up the stairs and down the hall you get the feel of walking through a low income tenament. The rooms are old and run down as well. The couch and carpet had multiple stains. The wall paper was peeling off. The drywall needed some patch work. The bathroom was somewhat moldy and took a good 20 minutes before the shower was warm enough to get in. If you want to have a night on the town and be able to have a short walk to your hotel, save a few bucks and can get past the dirty rundown feel, then this is the place. If you can't look past the 1970s paint job and stains everywhere, move onto another hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose a balcony room. You overlook the back alley parking lot and have flood lights shining...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Upstate New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We recently returned from a weekend stay at this hotel in the quaint village of Lake Placid. I have to say it is the worst hotel my family and I have ever stayed in. The hotel has a great location, right in the middle of town on Main Street, so it is very convenient. The rooms are large. But that's about all it has going for it. Doesn't look as if there have been any updates/upgrades in about 20 years. It's very shabby. Even an investment in paint would go a long way - our bathroom door was a door that only had the original prime paint on it from the factory. Heating in the rooms are provided by a air conditioner that is set to the heat mode. It pumps out heat, while simultaneously allowing a cold draft from the frigid Adirondack air to seep through the unit. The breakfast buffet was fair. The hotel and restaurant staff appear to be awkward and reluctant in their service roles.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We needed a weekend away and wanted to enjoy some outdoor winter activites. We arrived at the hotel and check-in went quick and easy. We went up to our room and were pleasently suprised by the size of the room and the private baclony. the locatrion was perfect, it was right on main street and we were able to park our car and walk to anywhere we wanted to go. We ended up eating at the Delta Blue Grill downstairs and having some cocktails. The staff was extremely friendly and the atmosphere of the hotel was great. You could tell everyone was exicited to escape life for a few days and relax. I will surely be returning.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were there for a 4 day weekend and were disappointed!!! The location is perfect for seeing the town and enjoying the local restaurants and the sheets, towels and bathroom was clean. That is where it ends. The hallways are dark and dingy, the room needed at least a coat of paint to the walls. There was no closet door, 1 hanger and no refrigerator in room or ice maker on our floor (or any other floor that we could find). The locks on the door stuck and you had to "work" it to get in. The window fell in one night. This inn is perfectly suited to high school or college groups. Once the bar band got started, we could hear them downstairs until approx. 1am, and we were on the 4th floor!!! We kept saying that maybe we were put in a dingy room because we had our pet with us. However, I saw another room near ours, no pet, same room. The lobby sprung a leak while we there. SAD, SAD, SAD!!! Could really be a nice place with just a bit of TLC....lovely wall murals were already there in the lobby areas, beautiful antler chandeliers, some rustic charm....just needs to be "spit shined".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Northwoods Inn? Share your experiences!