“an authentic rustic/elegant retreat” 5 of 5 stars

144 Lodge Way, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“an authentic rustic/elegant retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

the only hotel ON Lake Placid with magnificent views set in a rustic adirondack setting of pure luxury. It is full of character, each cabin filled with handmade authentic adirondack furniture, with gorgeous views of the lake, fireplace and delicious food. Service is caring and there is nothing they won't do for you. We will return for sure. If you like wilderness but also crave luxury and a place to retreat to that feels like a gift every moment, then this is for you .

Room Tip: we stayed on the lake in a lakeside cabin and it felt like we were on a boat hanging out over the wa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear thejourney2014,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I am glad you were able to experience all that the Lake Placid Lodge has to offer; rustic adirondack luxury, gorgeous lake views, caring service, and delicious food. We hope to see you soon!

Best,
Brian Hunt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Lake Placid, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have been to this place enough times that I can make a solid judgement. I love it. I love the servers and the menus and the atmosphere. In artisans, Ray is the best server I have ever seen in a fine dining situation. He was the most accommodating and positive human I've seen in awhile. In Maggie's, Michael and Kristina were allstars every time. I am surprised they have not been recognized more often. In terms of the bar, all of the pub bartenders have been solid. Especially Lori and Smalls. They are personable and knowledgable and I am impressed with them every time. Stephen moved to the morning but I was always excited to see him as well. I love this place. Definitely my favorite.

Stayed August 2014
Dear HannahHyde,
Wow! Thank you for such a glowing review! I am delighted to hear that Ray, Michael, Kristina, Lori, and Stephen(Smalls and Castelano) all have played such a role in creating your favorite place in Lake Placid! Please know I have personally shared your comments with entire team. We look forward to seeing you again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Top class employee and top class room service will visit this hotel again for business purpose and all time connect with this hotel when i go the Lake placid area and also tell about the hotel with my friend and my all partner.

Room Tip: Room service is great and when i need any help with this hotel and also stay help with the customer...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear JamesW,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back! We hope to see you soon.

Lake Placid, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

For many YEARS we have frequented this hotel for the fine dinners served in its restaurants. And we have given many excellent reviews expressing our delight. However, we may reconsider our options given an experience last evening. I arrived with my well-behaved nephew in tow having built his expectations high for a grand experience. Holding hands we entered the building as I pressed the elevator button to assist my mother. Shouting from across the room, a curt employee announced there are to be no children under 12 anywhere on the premises. Having seen a children's menu in the restaurant and not seeing a sign as to such policy we were completely unaware. My sister, mother and I were completely embarrassed and upset. This situation could have been addressed with greater tact and professionalism by the front desk staff as there were three of them chatting with one another when we entered. Firstly, shouting across any room is rude. My nephew knows this manner well. Better to approach a guest quietly and explain policy. Secondly, perhaps this policy should be posted for the guests entering? We witnessed a family in the parking lot going through the same drama as their 10 year old could not enter. Thirdly if you are going to suggest an alternative like the Moose Lodge why not offer to call ahead for the guest? This is the hallmark of a fine establishment...customer service. But it turns out our being turned away may not have been so bad. My husband had been seated in the pub for more than 20 minutes and couldn't even get anyone's attention for a drink. It appears according to other guest reviews and our own recent experience, that better training in customer service, attentiveness and genuine graciousness should be addressed.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Skimaster1,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. Please know we do have a sign as you enter stating we are a "12 and over property". I do understand the desire to share all that Lake Placid Lodge has to offer with your family, for that we do offer "family friendly days", Thanksgiving week, MLK weekend, Presidents week, and March 1-29th. I have shared your comments with our entire team to ensure when we address this it is done in a very discreet and courteous manner. I encourage you to contact me directly upon your return so I may assist in any way.

Norwich, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Lake Placid is my favorite place in the world. And I have always enjoyed staying at the Lodge, despite the staggering cost. In the past, service has been top notch, but lately - since the new management took over - things have been slipping. The fine level of attention to detail is missing. It used to be that the staff anticipated a guest's every need in an unobtrusive and friendly way - you felt as if they were old friends. The staff seemed like a well-oiled machine. That is no longer the case. Frankly, it's making me think twice about paying such a high tariff.

Certain members of the staff deserve extra high marks, namely Beverly in Reservations and Ernie of buildings & grounds & the waterfront. Those two are worth their weight in gold. Please give them raises and make sure you retain them as they are what Relais & Chateaux hotels are all about. Other members of the staff are also good - a couple members of the wait staff in particular (sorry I didn't get names).

But over all, service has declined. At best, it can be described as inconsistent and haphazard. Housekeeping didn't come until late afternoon one day, and came twice before we were even dressed another (and we were dressed by 9:00 AM). One day they cleaned the room and inadvertently took a personal item with them - a completely understandable mistake, but I think with the right oversight, it wouldn't have happened. We ordered the same breakfast 3 times in a row; presentation was quite different each time. Not a big deal, but it just seemed so random. Also, one day breakfast dishes were never cleared until late in the afternoon, and only after we made a request, and on another day didn't get cleared until our lunch arrived. Maggie's Pub menu is very limited and never seems to change. The food is also only so-so. Both lunch and supper service were pretty rough. Lots of seemingly unhappy, uncertain, dismal members of the waitstaff. Finally, I was so sad to walk down to the dock one day and find empty cocktail glasses sitting on posts, and swizzle sticks and cigarette butts littering the grounds. Really spoiled the lovely Adirondack lake view.

Our one meal at Artisan's was really, really good. Presentation beautiful. The table service was terrific. Very professional. We had to wait a bit for a table (understandable as we had no dinner reservation), but there were many empty-but-uncleared tables and 4 members of the staff (three of them young men in suits) kind of hanging out at the maitre d's stand, doing I-don't-know-what. I couldn't figure out why they didn't jump in and just clear those tables.

I think this is all a case of a lack of training and supervision. I'm sure it's hard to find professional waitstaff, etc. But management needs to step up if they are going to charge upwards of $1,000 a night. The team doesn't seem to communicate with each other the way they used to and the on-site management is either inexperienced, absent or not paying the right kind of attention.

I hope the Lodge can get back to its former level of great service. The setting is sublime and we'd love to try it again. And if Relais & Chateaux sends in a secret lodger, you may lose your designation.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong -- all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear TravelGuideReader,
Thank you for providing your review on Tripadvisor. Please know our housekeeping team begins the day at 9am and services rooms all day long, we are happy to provide service at a specific time for you when requested. In an effort to improve, I have shared your comments personally with our housekeeping team
However, it does appear there were more positive aspects of your stay, I am glad you experienced our Lake Placid Lodge hospitality from Beverly, Ernie and "other members" whom you didn't recall specifically. Please know I have shared those positive comments directly with the team. We look forward to your return to the Lodge!

Warm Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Did not visit as guests; spectacular lunch preceded by golf at lovely golf course. Lunch was excellent!
Beautiful property with many amenities. Décor is gorgeous in true warmth of Adirondack style.
Truly upscale accommodations; echoes the spirit of the grand old great camps of the Adirondacks!
We certainly plan to visit again and stay on the property!
(check out the Lexus owner perks!)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear NanNY17_11,
Thank you for providing your review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your lunch! We hope you are able to return soon and stay overnight with us and truly experience all of the charm our Lodge has to offer. Don't forget to ask about the additional benefits for Lexus owners!

Warm Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Sooooo good, doesn't even cut it, if I was a wordsmith I could tell you about the view, or the atmosphere, the attention to details of food presentation and caring staff and suggestions for wines, so just go and enjoy it all.
My daughters 21st birthday was all the better for going.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Jan H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear you had such a memorable Birthday party with us! We hope to see you back for the next one.

All the Best,
Brian Hunt

Been to Lake Placid Lodge? Share your experiences!