“Wow!!!- The best” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Upstate New York
“Wow!!!- The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an excellent place to stay and without doubt the best place to stay in the Lake Placid area (more on this later). For our 20th anniversary, my wife and I stayed here for 3 days. We were in a cabin just feet from the edge of Lake Placid, with nothing to obstruct our view and just wilderness to look out on. Waking up to the rising sun over the over the mountains (but in a nice comfey room) is our style of being in the great outdoors.
The cabin was in classical Adirondack style with a fireplace and the expected comfortable bed. Rustic but very refined.
The food at Maggie's pub and at Artesians was very well done, full of taste, with excellent service and came with a great view of the lake.
I loved the main lodge as it was full of old paintings from the Hudson River style of painting and other artwork. It was like staying in a museum while not being in a museum.
Service was excellent- everyone was very friendly and went out of their way to help us or just simply to chat. Obviously a lot of effort has been put in by management in this area.
The best for last: To my surprise I have discovered that when people go or stay in a hotel in Lake Placid, it really means they are in the TOWN of Lake Placid but which overlooks commercialized Mirror Lake. It's a nice lake with a 2.7 mile well marked walk around it and with lots of people walking, shopping, eating. The shore around Lake Placid itself is mostly owned by very wealthy people or is State owned land. This means that this incredible, minimally developed lake, so rustic for the most part, can only be accessed if you own property there. The only exception for tourists that was obvious is the marina area where you can take a ride around the lake and see the islands in it. By stayng at the Lake Placid Lodge we could really enjoy the lake to it's fullest, evey day. Yes, it is very expensive (we went in the off season) but what a different experience then if we had stayed at one of the other hotels that are "in Lake Placid".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear UpstateNewYork1,

Thank you! – for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay at the Lake Placid Lodge. The morning sunrise over Lake Placid is for us as good as it gets. I like to suggest from May to October that the thing to do is to take out one of our kayaks or canoes, have us pack coffee or hot chocolate and pastries and paddle out onto the lake at sunrise. It is magical, and we are grateful to call it home.

I really enjoyed your review, I felt that for someone who had never visited, it gives a great idea of what to expect when coming to this amazing area.
With much gratitude, we look forward to being able to welcome you back.

John Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend in the Mt. Marble cabin at the Lake Placid Lodge. Our experience was like no other. The attention to detail, customer service, ambiance and atmosphere the lodge provides is second to none....and my comments do not do it justice. We had a fireplace in our room and every morning the lodge would set it up for us to light again at night. There were plenty of activities to attend right at the lodge...or just relax in our room in front of the fire with a good book. If you have the opportunity to visit the lodge, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a lakeview cabin which had it's own living room with wood burning fireplace and a g...
Dear KateLazzarotti,

WOW! Thank you so much! What a wonderful review. We truly appreciate you enjoying your experience at the Lake Placid Lodge. We are grateful that it was everything you had hoped it would be. We do genuinely do our best to make sure that your experience is indeed “like no other” Thank you again KateLazzarotti! Please let us know if you are thinking of returning, it would of course be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

In my first trip in 20 years to the East to see the beautiful landscape prepare for winter and the trees don their fall colors of red, yellow and umber, the Lake Placid Lodge is the place to enjoy it. The spacious decks with comfortable chairs, or if you are lucky enough to secure the Whiteface suite, on your daybed, are perfect platforms from which to relax and review the changing colors. Our room was very spacious and the bed was surrounded by tree vines. The huge fireplace provided extra warmth and enhanced the mood.

Linda Favata, director of guest srvices, embodies the true spirit of the lodge. As my travel companion so eloquently stated, "Linda is the type of person that 'makes' a vacation a vacation." We simply cannot compliment her more highly for her acute attention to details, willingness to make every minute perfect and intimate knowledge of all things in the Adirondacks. Make her your best friend during your stay. Want to take a fly fishing lesson without actually getting into waders? Ask Linda. She will arrange for expert fishing guide, Terry, to give a lesson in the delicate intricacies of casting and how to examine the types of hatching larvae that will appeal to the fish in the body of water in which you are fishing. Don't want to worry about hauling 50 pounds of luggage home? Call Linda. She will box it up and have it delivered to your front door. Can't bear the thought of flying home in a cramped and tiny commuter plane with 8 strangers? Linda will arrange for a reasoanaly priced private plane to bring you back to the city. Whatever you want to do, call Linda and consider it done. Her team at the front desk is so warm and welcoming. We instantly felt at home by every one on her staff. Now, if she could only bring the restaurant staff under her wing....that's for another posting.

I would like to think that I will make the Lodge at Lake Placid my home for a week every fall. Or spring. Or summer.

Room Tip: Whiteface suite or a lake front cabin
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear DinLBC,

Thank you for joining us this Fall. I think in the last ten years, that was by far the prettiest one. We are glad you timed it so perfectly. Thank you too, for your review of the Lodge on Trip Advisor – in particular for recognizing Linda. She is of course our Guest Services Director, but to us she is so much more. I really could not imagine the Lake Placid Lodge without Linda – to me it is like having the ideal mom there looking after everything, it’s a wonderful feeling. I will be sure to make sure Linda sees your review and will go over give her a hug and a thank you. We do hope you will make it up to the Lodge again and try another season – they are truly all lovely.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you want to see the leaves changing in a perfect setting, this is the place. In the lakefront cabin, you look across the lake at the hills full of color.

The place is a five star property for certain. It seemed to lack the personal touch and feel of a five star place, even with as few rooms as they have. We've been to other boutique hotels where everyone knew who you were from day one, not the case here. Menu is a but fussy, but food was outstanding. Room service is the best and fastest we have ever seen.

The initial tour upon arrival was great. Liz and all of the restaurant staff were excellent. Lori the bartender is wonderful, the other older male bartender was a bit NYC gruff for our tastes.

Went fishing with Terry the guide, great experience.

Our weather was rainy every day and that may have tainted our report. Lakefront cabins were a bit small for the price, not a lot of room for even opening up a suitcase. The view is the best, but I would consider a lodge room with a patio if we were to come back.

What a place this would make for a small wedding! Overall, it was a fabulous place. For the money, it was just a little short of five star to us. It seemed to lack a strong owner or GM presence - perhaps it was different before the fire and ownership changed.

Dear advsbill,

Thank you so much for joining us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the view, our staff, the food, Lori our bartender –extraordinaire, and Terry – he is truly a great guide – who knows all the nooks and crannies of the Adirondacks, and just when and where to fish. I am sorry that you felt we were not quite at the five star level, and did not feel my presence, occasionally we get caught up in our offices and need a good prod to remind us who and what is truly important.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Lodge soon.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Lake Placid Lodge in September for 4 nights. To be concise here are the highlights and disappointments:

Highlights:
- The property itself is spectacular; location on Lake Placid is stunning;
- Lots of activities included in the price; we especially liked taking out the electric boats;
- Very good breakfasts included in the lodging price; also daily treats brought to the cabin; your fireplace was reset daily;
- The service and people were very nice and professional (we ordered "to-go" breakfast the morning we left and it arrived right when we requested it -- early).

Disappointments:
- Despite alerting the concierge prior to arrival about my severe nut allergy, our daily treats usually contained nuts;
- Our cabin was considered "lakeview" but that was almost a stretch; we were in a "second-row" cabin, and our living room window, facing the lake, was 80% covered by evergreens;
- The steep price -- again, the property was amazing, but for the charge of $975 a night plus tax, we expected a much better view of the lake and our own chaise lounges/chairs (were told we were to share with other cabins); my comment about not receiving special nut-free daily treats might seem trivial, but at the price, I expected it to be taken care of;
- Cleanliness overall was ok, but the living room windowsill had a bunch of little dead gnats when we checked in; also, the last night we were there, we had a mouse rummaging through one of our waste baskets.

Verdict: We would probably return because the lodge property, Lake Placid, and the surrounding area is so beautiful. But we are still considering if our initial experience was really worth the price.

Room Tip: If you stay in a cabin, there is a "first-row" line of cabins, and a "second-row"...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GreatOutdoors61,

Thank you so much for visiting the Lake Placid Lodge. And, thank you for your very thoughtful review. It was clear to me that while there were some wonderful parts to your stay, it was equally clear that failed to deliver on others. We should have made a better distinction between our Lake View cabins which are approximately 30 – 40 feet from our the water’s edge and our Lake Front cabins which are just a few feet from it. We will definitely take a look at the view corridors too, the evergreens have had an impact on your view experience. Your point on the nuts is in no way “trivial,” we recognize that allergies are extraordinarily important. There is simply no excuse for our missing this with your daily treats. It showed a lack of care and attention to detail. I am very sorry. All systems and processes in place to guard against errors such as this are my responsibility – I am sorry that we missed this vital point. The visiting mouse, I equate to visiting Africa, you might expect to see a lion on your safari, but not in your tent. I am sorry too that this was the case. I wish I could say it never happens, but in the Adirondacks it occasionally does when the weather first changes. Of course, no comfort to you I know.

Your review was so valuable to us, and I am truly grateful to you for submitting it, and am at your disposal if there is anything at all I can be of assistance with. We hope to welcome you back to the Lodge soon.

texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I had one night open before we travelled to Massachusetts on vacation in August and decided to spend the extra (much extra!) on this well-reviewed lodge in the Adirondacks. MONEY WELL SPENT!!! Although we were (very unfortunately) only able to spend a few hours (due to a late-arriving train) the lodge lived up to and surpassed our expectations. The (mostly young) staff (front and restaurant) were all friendly and determined to meet all our needs. We asked if we could have a late check-out due to our late arrival and were told absolutely-we were encouraged to stay as long as we liked the following day.

Our lakeside cabin was spectacular-view and amenities were both exceptional. As we reluctantly left the lodge for good, a young maintenance worker asked if our stay was enjoyable-you have to appreciate the concern for our satisfaction at all staff levels. We will DEFINITELY be back!

Room Tip: We thought our lakeside cabin was wonderful-quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear emmasue1

I hope that next time you visit us you will get to spend more than just a night. We have lots for you to do , or just cozy up in front of the fire in your cabin – always a good bet. We do very much appreciate your visiting the Lodge, and do also very much appreciate your taking the time to write a review for the Trip Advisor community. We are thrilled to hear that you plan to return, and are at your disposal if there is anything we can do to be of assistance.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lake Placid Lodge is the perfect place for a peaceful, quiet vacation. The location is ideal, crystal clear lake and beautiful Whiteface mountain as the backdrop.
The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and quiet. The service is five star and the food in the restaurants can't be beat.
We will definitely be returning to this mountain paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bgeorgius,

Thank you very much for visiting the Lake Placid Lodge. And, thank you for posting your experiences on Trip Advisor. It is of course a great way for future guests to hear firsthand from guests who have gone before them, just what is like to be here. I was particularly struck be your recognition of what I believe is perhaps one of the most important aspects of our beautiful area. It is so peaceful, and while I am biased I think that peacefulness makes it one of the most beautiful parts of our corner of the world.

We too look forward to your returning to our mountain paradise. If we can be of any assistance, please just say the word.

John Graham

Been to Lake Placid Lodge? Share your experiences!