“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake House

You added Lake House to your Saves list
Lake House
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   1 Mirror Lake Drive, Lake Placid, NY 12946-1105 (Formerly Lakeview Motor Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Lake House - which is affiliated with the High Peaks Resort-from December 17th-19th. I took the train from Saratoga and arrived at the Lake House around 4:00pm. Check-in was entirely seamless, as John Driscoll (aka Johnny High Peaks) had everything ready for me, including my Olympic Sites Passport that I had indicated to the staff there that I wanted at the time of my reservation. John was so sincere in his service and helpful with all of the questions I inevitably had as a result of being a first-time tourist to the area. When I got to my room I was overjoyed -it looked out right onto Mirror Lake and was impeccably clean. The resort has apparently undertaken some substantial renovations, and they have done a wonderful job. The room had both a modern and rustic vibe that synced perfectly with the rural, snowy setting. My room led out onto a little deck, which was great for quiet reflection while looking at the lake. I went upstairs to the hotel bar, and my experience at the Lake House got even better. John was there with the bartender, Kevin, who is the most competent and adroit bartender I have ever experienced. They brought me up to speed with recommendations about what to do, how most efficiently to do it, and where to eat. I really enjoyed their company and they really made me feel like they enjoyed mine as well. This bar is a total gem and would undoubtedly be a place I would frequent if I were a local.

The activities I had planned to do while in Lake Placid didn't go off as planned bc of the weather, but these two guys really salvaged my stay. Even though it was dark before 5pm, the light in their hearts illuminated the entire town and the entire experience for me.

I also had the pleasure of interacting with Jon Wright, a front-desk employee at the High Peaks, who, after hours, answered more of my questions about the facility, the local shuttle and trolley services, and who also made great breakfast recommendations.

Bill, also a High Peaks employee, was around at various points throughout my stay, and he, too, was gracious and sincere and helped me feel at home.

The location of this hotel is perfect for traipsing around Lake Placid-whether you'd like to take a leisurely walk around the lake or do a little holiday shopping -and the service I experienced here is not unlike the experience I have received at 5 star hotels around the world. This will be the only place I ever stay when I come to the area. Other resorts and hotels may get more publicity or recognition, but service of this caliber is hard to come by. Thanks again.

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Sarah K,

I have been sharing your review with our entire team here in Lake Placid at Lake House and our High Peaks Resort Property as an example of the power of genuine and personalized service.
It is great to know that you experienced precisely that, and that you encountered the same care and attention with each interaction.

John, Kevin, Jon, and Bill will be thrilled to read your kind comments.

I hope to have the opportunity to meet you on your next visit.

Wishing you a happy Holiday Season,

Matthew Wheeler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

Every room has a view of a Mirror Lake. But the bar, a large, unbarlike room, has the best views. it was a quiet place with comfortable sofas to relax in.

The rooms, which all have a lake view, had recently been renovated and are quite comfortable. In fact, the whole hotel seems to be recently renovated.

Lake House's only facility is a swimming pool/hot tub. But, since it's affiliated with High Peaks across the road, you're welcome to use their facilities. The exercise room is excellent. In the warmer months,

Not that Lake Placid is a large town, but Lake House is adjacent to the main street and it's a short walk to restaurants and shopping. I recommend Players Bar and Grill, practically across the street from Lake House. I'd call it a sports bar. Food is good and, in the warmer months, you can sit outside above the lake.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

I looked the Lake House last minute as previous plans fell through. I booked the hotel as part of a getaway where I would propose to my girlfriend. The hotel looks great after the remodeling, with a beautiful lobby/bar that includes a fireplace, comfortable lake view seating, and activities for the family.

The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and was able to facilitate the room being stocked with flowers via a local retailer, chocolate covered strawberries, and champagne. The staff, primarily Jon (Johnny High Peaks) and Kevin made our stay a wonderful experience and something we will both cherish for years to come.

We will certainly be back in Lake Placid in the next year and I am already looking forward to booking at the Lake House.

Room Tip: Great lake view rooms, fun lobby/bar area, great access to other High Peaks properties, excellent st...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

We went here just for a drink and was welcomed by the manager JP. Beautifully redone inside with lots of lounging for family's and board games for a friendly family night. Has a balcony that has a view of Mirror Lake. Next trip we definitely stay here.

Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

Hotel is located within walking distance of the Lake Placid main street.
Rooms are spacious and well furnished. Great view on the lake.

Lounge area is pretty bare. Looks like being unfinished (e.g. bare concrete floor).
Strangely enough there is no reception, just a little shield telling you to go to the more luxureous hotel across the street for check in. In the afternoon somebody may be in the hall who can help with check in, but one has to go and search for him/her.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel. View of Mirror Lake from our balcony was gorgeous. Malorie was very helpful at check in. She gave me information about a local attraction and suggested a very good place to eat. We visited a few local attractions but mostly took in the beauty of the area. When booking your room, be sure and ask for a room on the upper level so you can enjoy the view of Mirror Lake, which is just across the street.
When the hotel sent me their survey, one of the questions was "what could we do to make your stay more enjoyable?". My response was "make it free."

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
Dear Aubrey A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay at Lake House!

I'm happy to hear that Malorie provided you with excellent and helpful service. I will be sure to share your comments with her.

All of us at the resort are thrilled with the outcome of the renovation to Lake House, and are excited to share it with our guests.

I hope you have a chance to visit us again during the winter season.

All the best,
Matthew.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

The new High Peaks owners did a very fine job of renovating this hotel, which had been in definite need of TLC. The rooms are clean, cozy and well-appointed, with excellent views of Mirror Lake. The addition of a "great" common room with bar and fireplace is a nice touch. The High Peaks across the street has a more luxurious feel, with bigger rooms and bathroom, but Lake House offers a solid alternative, particularly on weekends when rates at High Peaks bump up.

Dear WorldTrav55,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at our newly renovated Lake House!

It's great to hear the positive feedback from repeat guests experiencing the "new" environment and great views.

I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again during the winter season!

All the best,
Matthew.

Been to Lake House? Share your experiences!