“Hair Affair Salon and Day spa, at Twin Peaks.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2384 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Schenectady, New York
“Hair Affair Salon and Day spa, at Twin Peaks.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Used the day spa, at twin peaks resort, and was quite impressed, the massages and facial were wonderful, the staff was quite friendly. Would recemend this day spa to everyone.
Also had a Manicure and hair cut, spent the whole day there and really enjoyed it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was my third or fourth stay at High Peaks Resort. It has been my favorite place to stay since it's reasonable and close to downtown.

I took my son for his first ever cross-country skiing trip while he was home on break from college. I knew he would love the resort and location, and he certainly did.

We knew it would be less crowded during the week since weekends are usually very busy in LP during winter.

I was a bit disappointed when we arrived at 2:45PM after 3 hours of skiing. We just wanted a shower and to rest before dinner. Unfortunately, they said the room rate was not guaranteed until 4pm and that our room was not ready. I thought this odd since I inquired about extending our stay for another day, and was told they had 132 rooms available. So, how come our room was not ready? I was also told they do not offer any discounts on extending our stay on short notice, so we did not stay another day. I was told the hotel wants to make money, so why not offer us a room at a lower rate if you have 132 rooms available? We waited in the empty lobby for over an hour for our room even though other guests were checking in and getting their keys. Is this because I booked the hotel on Hotwire? The rate on their website was the same as High Peaks, so I don't understand.

My only other complaint was when I finally got to take a shower, I was sprayed in the face after turning the water on. The showers are really cool and have a rainshower, hand-held wand, and a seat inside. the walls are done in tiles and river rocks. Very interesting style. I believe that the housekeeper forgot to position the shower wand to point in the other direction, so guests were not sprayed in the face when turning on the water.

We were looking forward to enjoying the hot tub after skiing all day. I have never been to the pool, so we checked it out before dinner. Not very nice at all. Down a long, somewhat scary hall to a completely different building. The atmosphere was not like the rest of the hotel at all. It looked ok, but outdated and there was a family with kids in the pool, so we decided not to bother. We went to a movie instead.

The room was clean and we had a beautiful view. My son was amazed at the mountains. The beds were incredibly comfy and I slept like a baby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Very simply--,- lovely rooms / very nice big lobby / chocolate chip cookie welcome plus fireplace n skiers etc ---
So here's where I start feeling NOT so great--- i looked at my bill n realized I didn't get the special package specified on their website and even though_ it was explained to me twice I still didn't understand--- it was almost as if they were making it up as they went--- n long story short I did not receive the special package . I did however receive an AARP discount but it was nothing compared to the special ---- so that just upset me . High peaks is kind of expensive but whatever--- I dealt with it -- now as far as everything else, the food was very good n we were treated kindly on a day my husband n I became ill--- we ordered some very lite fair they expedited the order up to our room. That was nice...... so all in all I would recommend this hotel. Just be aware of the price you're given. You might be better off booking online.

• Stayed February 2013
Durham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a pre-wedding welcome reception at High Peaks. Be sure to ask for Nancy Guthrie to assist you in planning an event. Nancy provided excellent assistance all along the way over several months of emails, questions, menu tweaking and last minute details. And every staff member I came in contact with was professional, courteous and pro-actively helpful; noticing without being asked, ways to assist us. The Sentinel Ballroom was custom arranged with a mix of big round tables and small, high cocktail tables for a casual, mingling atmosphere. Food was a combination of passed hors d’oeuvres, stations and cold displays. Huge kudos to “back of the house”; Every single item was perfectly prepared and presented; all delicious. Guests were commenting all weekend on all of it, especially the lobster bisque “shots”! Also, we reserved a block of rooms for wedding guests (wedding was at a different Lake Placid venue), and i received great feedback from family and friends who stayed there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mineola, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The tub was huge, the furnishings were up to date and the room was clean. The indoor heated pool was just right- if you keep your eyes closed underwater. Staff were friendly and accommodating. The view was beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the High Peaks Resort for a family vacation in Lake Placid. We found the experience pleasant overall one but there were some clear misses and some lack of attention to detail.

To their credit, the High Peaks did some things well:

 A very polite, pleasant, and helpful staff that accommodated our requests in person and on the phone

 A very welcoming lobby with a wood burning fireplace and bar that was a very nice place to gather and relax

 Overall an up-to-date, well-kept appearance in all the public areas

 Good food and service in the “Dancing Bears” restaurant for the whole trip

 A spectacular view from our room, with an accessible balcony

 Comfortable beds

However, some issues which detracted from our stay to note:

 When we arrived, we were accommodated on the 5th (top) floor for the hotel. Upon entering our corridor, we all noticed a very strong burning rubber smell – to me, the unmistakable smell of some type of burned out motor belt. It was very pungent. We could not detect it from our room but every time we entered the hallway, we could smell it. On a visit down to the lobby, I mentioned it to the front desk clerk. She clearly made a note to have maintenance look into it. However, while it slowly dissipated somewhat over time, we still could smell that odor for the remainder of our 4-day trip every time we were in the hall. I have no doubt there was no danger from fire and I believe a repair had been made. I also realize this is a unique occurrence, not something all visitors can expect to encounter, but it gave a negative impression and I feel more could have been done to mask or eliminate that really unpleasant odor.

 The bathroom in our room was well appointed with a nice walk-in shower. The door to the bathroom was sliding with smoked glass. However, this door had the habit of sliding to fully open if the lock wasn’t properly engaged, with surprising results for whoever was in the bathroom at the time! The door appeared to be mounted only at the top, making fiddling with the latch somewhat difficult. Also since the sliding bathroom door was right next the closet, every time we opened the closet for coats, winter gear, bathrobe, etc. we had to fight with the bathroom door to ensure it would stay closed, resulting in a lot of bumping and banging that became annoying. Perhaps the bathroom door could be better mounted or leveled, so that it would stay in the closed position whether locked or not.

 Lastly, and perhaps most disappointingly, the room housekeeping was inconsistent and lacked attention to common details. Glasses in the room were sometimes left dirty where they were placed depending on the day; a wine glass that we brought up from the lobby bar one night was still left in the room the next afternoon. Our ice bucket was left with melted ice on the counter for the last two days of our visit. Half-empty paper coffee cups were left on the desk and on the last day I happened to look behind the oversized easy chair in the room and found an empty diet coke bottle in the corner! We don’t drink diet coke.

None of these things distracted from our enjoyment of Lake Placid and the surrounding High Peaks region. We were too busy to really let these details ruin our good time. However, with more attention to detail I think High Peaks Resort could be more of destination resort rather than some place to store your gear and sleep. We really wanted it to be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carmel, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent the past 4 days at High Peaks Resort to do snowshoeing. We last stayed at High Peaks after it was remodelled from a Hilton Hotel about 4 or 5 yrs ago. When we wanted to go back we found out they allowed pets., which we opt out of and so each year stayed at Mirror Lake instead a pet free hotel. This year I read some good reviews, called High Peaks hotel and asked if their pet policy changed. I booked a room at more than the cost of usual rooms available because I was guaranteed a certain floor was absolutely pet free. Imagine my surprise when I we heard a loud barking dog down the hall as we were leaving for breakfast. I must say the front desk apologized, bought us breakfast, but I later found out that this person was allowed to remain in that room because the hotel did not know he had a dog and he did not know he could not have one. If it was a pet free floor , signs should be posted and this question should always be asked before putting anyone on that floor ie, "Do you have a pet with you?" It is a very pretty hotel and the rooms are spacious and smartly decorated. The staff are all cordial but the breakfast service we experienced at The Dancing Bears was less than stellar. I also asked for teabags in the room along with the coffee for two days and my note went ignored. If not for the pet issue we would return but for us, we always opt for pet free hotels. So if this is not important to you..I would try it. For us it is a deal breaker

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Christine513:
Thank you for bringing your experience with us to our attention. Your comments are appreciated and we do apologize that we had checked a guest in, unbeknownst to us, on a non-pet friendly floor, also the lack of attention to your notes and your breakfast not being up to the standards that we do expect for all our guests. We do hope that you would give the High Peaks Resort another visit to show you how we can make your stay enjoyable.

Bob Trotter
High Peaks Resort
btrotter@highpeaksresort.com

Been to High Peaks Resort? Share your experiences!