“2nd Time This Year” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 31 hotels in Lake Placid
Potsdam, New York
“2nd Time This Year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

For the second time in 2012 we grabbed a Groupon deal to visit this pleasant resort. Both times we found our room to be clean and attractive. Our first room was a suite in the lakeside facility and it was lovely with a gas fireplace and jacuzzi tub. More recently we took the less expensive option and enjoyed a queen room in the main building. Queen rooms are a good choice because them come with a sofa sitting area.

Don't miss breakfast. The food is great, real maple syrup and Loraine is a career pro waitress. Other meals are nothing special but good and reasonable. Eat there even if you stay somewhere else!

Remember your bathing suit. They have a nice indoor pool and hot tub as well as an outdoor lakeside pool.

The Groupon deal includes your room, breakfast and a gift card for the restaurant/bar. Unbeatable value for Lake Placid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was looking for a hotel in Lake Placid (preferably with a spa) to meet up with a couple of family members for the weekend. I used Priceline's "name your price" feature to book - indicating that I wanted a 4 star experience or better. Prior to making my deal, I hadn't heard of High Peaks Resort, so I read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor to see what I would be in for. I agree with most of the reviews - the place is in pretty good condition - the guest rooms and the main entrance appear to be newly renovated. I don't quite understand why this hotel has "Resort" in the name - it really is more of a hotel and conference centre. Some parts of the hotel are showing signs of wear, (particularly the pool area), and the spa was a letdown. This wasn't a big deal - we just went to the Mirror Lake Inn and used their spa and pool, which were wonderful. The staff at High Peaks were very helpful and friendly, and the location is great - central. Lots of free parking. I would return, but not for a spa experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently spent a long weekend in Lake Placid, NY. I had never visited there but always wanted to see it. We stayed at the High Peaks resort. It is beautiful, the staff was extremely helpful and very pleasant, the check-in process was great. I believe they renovated in 2008, and it is incredible. While we were relaxing in our room, we were watching Home and Garden TV and my friend and I both mentioned that the bathroom in our room is something you would see on HGTV. The rooms are extremely well decorated and laid out, the have plenty of room, there are plenty of plugs, a refrigerator, plenty of lights, great view of the lake, easy to get from the parking lot to your room, service was wonderful, they have indoor and outdoor pools. We went to the indoor pool and it was great - not your typical "hotel pool." The restaurant in the hotel, "Dancing Bear" was much better for dinner than it was for breakfast. My dinner there was good - my breakfast was just OK and seemed expensive at $33 for two people! But otherwise - the lobby bar is awesome. The location is great - right at the end of Main Street and easily accessible to everything - nothing is really more than a 10 minute walk away in downtown! Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfield County, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A nice mid range hotel with a good restaurant and bar. For the many families taking their kids to Lake Placid's hockey tournaments this is a great hotel. The hotel has easy access to the center of town. It is probably 3/4 mile to the Olympic ice rinks so you essentially have to drive to the rink. The hotel has free Wifi which functions OK. You have to log in every time your phone or iPad snoozes. You can see the Lake from most rooms although the view is average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We spent two days of our honeymoon here, and wished we had spent more!

Check-in was a breeze, and the ladies at the front desk were very helpful. This was the first time for either of us in Lake Placid, and they gave us maps and hiking suggestions to help us plan our adventure for the next day. Upon getting to our room, we were first struck by the view. The sun was setting behind us, and the sight of the silhouette of the mountains against the darkening sky with the day's last glimmer on the lake below was breathtaking! Then we noticed that there was a nice gift of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us on the table with a card congratulating us on our recent nuptials! This was an unexpected treat from the hotel!

We found the room to be very spacious and clean. Ours had a king bed and a sofa. There was a desk as well as two little tables for the sofa and a dresser that also concealed a refrigerator. Even with all this, there was plenty of space to move around.

The bathroom was impressive. It was very large with a granite vanity, plenty of towels, and the most toiletries I have seen in a hotel room -- even mouthwash and the crown jewel of all hotel bathroom freebies -- a sewing kit! :) And it was all Bath & Body Works stuff, which meant not much to me, but seemed to impress my new bride. However, the best part of the bathroom was the shower. It was huge with both a fixed shower head above, and a handheld shower head that could both operate at the same time. With the stone tiles on the wall, it's like bathing in a warm waterfall each morning!

The hotel is in a great location -- just above Main Street -- and it's a short walk to its shops and restaurants. All rooms in the main building seem to have balconies and views of the pool, and the mountains in the distance. From the higher floors, you can get a better view of the mountains, and you can also see Mirror Lake. All of the Olympic venues are within about a 20 min drive. The hotel does have watercraft that the guests can use (I think for free) on the lake, but we did not take advantage of this. The lobby is large with a nice fireplace that was going when we came down for the complimentary cookies and lemonade they spread every afternoon for the guests.

We ate at the resort's restaurant, the Dancing Bears on our first night. It was fairly reasonably priced, and they gave us a lot of food. We split a half order of steak nachos and a burger. We got out of there for a little over $20 and had leftovers for a snack for the next day. The next evening, we ordered a pizza from room service, which arrived hot and tasty in 30 minutes -- Domino's can't even guarantee that any more!

Overall, we had a fantastic stay! Resorts like this are usually beyond our budget, but since it was our honeymoon, we didn't mind spending a little more. However, the experience, from the room to the service to the views, was well worth everything we paid and then some. I wish we could come back to the High Peaks Resort soon and often, but it will probably be a while before we can return. Maybe for an anniversary trip in a few years...

Clayton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very much enjoyed our stay at the High Peaks Resort. We got our room through Priceline at something like $124 per night, at an off-peak time for Lake Placid. We could have gotten a lower rate elsewhere, but decided to splurge a bit and we weren't disappointed. Our room had two double beds, a very nice bathroom, small fridge, etc. and some nice decorating touches.

The common areas were very nice and included indoor and outdoor pools, an exercise room and a spa. We had one lunch in the hotel restaurant, the Dancing Bears, and it was fine.

The front desk staff were very friendly, courteous and accommodating. I had to send a fax and they took care of that at no charge. Coffee and newspapers were available in the lobby with comfortable furniture to relax in and a nice fire in the fireplace. Cookies, put out at 2:30 each afternoon, were not to be missed.

Overall, in my opinion, a great place to stay (proximity to village can't be meet; park and walk). I would recommend it my friends.

Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night. The room was clean and very nice. Breakfast was good (didn't eat dinner in the 'world famous' Dancing Bear). We were just off peak for color, so thought the room was overpriced even at the AAA rate of $170. The view was ok, but you're not lakefront, though I had the impression we would be. From what I could tell, all rooms had balcony and some kind of view. I should've pricelined it. We also had some hallway noise due to kids hockey tourney in town, but they quieted down early enough (10ish). Overall, a very nice hotel, but for the season a bit overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to High Peaks Resort? Share your experiences!