“Hidden Gem in Lake Placid” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Autumn To Remember
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Nutley, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem in Lake Placid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

From the moment we checked into the High Peaks Resort we got a very good vibe!
You can smell the fresh scent in the air of a well-maintained, fairly new property. It has a lovely lobby area with warm leather chairs and comfy sofas and a huge double sided REAL fireplace. Our room was very roomy and all rooms in the resort has a beautiful view of MIrror Lake. The resort is conveniently located off of Main street with easy access to fine dining, shops and other activities.
I looked at other properties and for the price this was a great deal and would recommend this to others and would be very happy to come back to the High Peaks Resort!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sandusky, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our SKI CLUB from OHIO just returned from a Sunday - Friday stay at High Peaks- read HIGH FIVES! Starting with drinks and appetizers in the lounge that were worthy of 5 stars followed by a peaceful evenings sleep to be awakened every morning by Demetri and staff's breakfast cuisine! We also enjoyed several great meals at their in house, Dancing Bear Restaurant - oh and you can read this one as ENOUGH FOR 2 ! The interior is Spacious the staff GRACIOUS ! Thank you to everyone at High Peaks for delivering your best. Can't wait to come back!
Jeanne

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at the High Peaks Resort this weekend for a work function that we decided to turn into a romantic getaway as well. We were immediately pleased upon arrival. The main check in area has a beautiful fireplace with a bar. That night at the work function, dinner was included-steak, lobster and asparagus...delicious. We grabbed a drink and headed out for a little while. High Peaks is right on the main street and everything is walking distance. (I wish they would have cleared the walkway though as walking down the ramp covered in snow and ice was dangerous and I ended up slipping into the road). Our room was very clean and the bathroom was beautiful! We opted to pay for the lake/mountain view upgrade and I would highly recommend the upgrade. I wish we would have known the it was pet friendly because we would have brought our dog along. There is no pet fee (they just pre-charge you $100 for damage that is refunded if there is no damage).

The staff was very friendly and again, the entire building was very well kept. I hope to go back soon!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012 via mobile

We had very high hopes for our stay at High Peaks, but, unfortunately, we were disappointed. I made the reservations several weeks ago because we were extremely desperate for a relaxing, romantic getaway from the city, work, etc. When I made them I clearly expressed my desire for a quiet, romantic space, which is why the manager I spoke with (unfortunately, I don't recall his name) recommended the Mirror Lake Collection. My understanding was that it was slightly remote since it was unattached to the main property and thus quieter. Also, it was more expensive because of the recent renovation and its location right on the lake. The manager and I had an extensive discussion about the view and the manager selected a room that was suppose to be perfect for what I was looking for. Except it wasn't. The first night, we were relatively pleased. The room was nice and comfortable and newly renovated, although the common areas could have used a facelift. Only slightly shabby. If the entire weekend had continued that way, I would give this place a 3.75/4 stars. The issue arose when our neighbors checked in next door. The rooms were adjoining and there was NO soundproofing between the rooms. Accordingly, from 7 am until approx. 8:30 am (at least they were diligent about getting up and out of the room), we heard the alarm clock and then the "get dressed" ritual between the parents and two children. We heard every word of the father's lecture about hygiene and how it really is a good idea to thoroughly brush one's teeth and the whiny, rambunctious child refusing to do just that...loudly. While I am sure many can relate to the discussion (from either the parent's or the child's perspective) it was NOT what I wanted for my relaxing, romantic getaway. When I called and asked to be moved, the reservations person told me that they could not accommodate the request and then didn't offer me anything other than "I'll speak to the parents". Except it wasn't them necessarily. The soundproofing was horrible and the manager should have known not to put two separate families in adjoining rooms with horrible soundproofing! Those should be reserved for families traveling together! When I checked-out, I mentioned the issue again and was told the manager would be in touch. Perhaps they can "do something for me", but I have yet to hear anything. All-in-all, I was less than thrilled by my stay there and definitely would try/recommend some of the other resorts (Mirror Lake Inn seemed very nice, the spa was lovely and The View delicious), before considering High Peaks again.

• Stayed February 2012
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear eag76:
We are extremely sorry to hear of the issues you have mentioned in your review. I assure you we are following up with the Management team to ensure that this type of situation will be handled properly from the beginning.
I again apologize for not providing the high level of service I know we are capable of.
Best Regards,
Don Reaser
High Peaks Resort
518-523-4411 Ext: 300
dreaser@highpeaksresort.com
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed here on what had to be one of the craziest weekends of the year in LP - bobsledders, ski tours and hockey teams galore. The hotels in town were full on arrival. When we had booked prices were high everywhere.
I knew that one of the rooms in the lakeside building away from the main resort would suit and it did not disappoint. The room was actually quite fairly priced at the time of booking relative to the rest of the town.
Although when we checked in at reception there was a large tour bus of 30 people checking in around us, we picked up a corkscrew and a couple of glasses at the lobby bar and escaped down to our quiet room by the lake. Not one group of tournament teenagers running up and down the hallways during our entire stay. It was a perfectly timed choice. If you have to visit Placid in its tourism peak, you want some R&R, and you don't have the budget for the Mirror Lake Inn or the Interlaken, stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Walked in mid-week, no reservation. Family of 4, room was huge, nicely appointed. Staff A-1,
food and service top-notch. Excellent location. We usually stay at a smaller boutique hotel in Lake Placid, but the price is almost double of High Peaks, could not justify the difference. We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

From start to finish a top notch job by everyone, I found the Front desk staff to be welcoming and conversational, and my room WOW what a view and I am trying to figure out a way to get the king mattress in my car!!! I feel for the guest who may not have had a great experience, but my experience was fantastic. Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor, my room 521 had a drop dead gorgeous view of the mountains and the lake. I will be back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to High Peaks Resort? Share your experiences!