“I was reading reviews after my experience in Lake Placid I wanted to add my experience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Peaks Resort

Miracle On Ice
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My husband and I went to Lake Placid to get away for a nice weekend. We stayed at the High Peak Resort. We checked in with no problems. The front desk staff was very pleasant and informative. The room was very nice. A lot more than we expected. We ate at the restaurant they have called Dancing Bear for breakfast while we stayed there and we were very pleased.
After we got settled into our room we immediately wanted to check out the AVEDA spa. The people at the front desk directed us down, although it could have been labeled better.
When we walked into the AVEDA spa (which was called Hair Affair, not the best name) we both commented on the wonderful aroma and at first look how admirable it was. Behind the front desk of the spa there was an older woman at the computer consumed with what she was doing. We didn't want to bother her so we were about to sneak out. A young girl with pretty blue eyes walked around the corner and immediately greeted us with a smile and ask if we needed any help. She offered us a tour and then handed us a menu. Aside from the older woman preoccupied we were impressed with how the salon seemed. We left to experience the town.
After studying the 'Hair Affair ' menu, which was put together poorly, we decided the Half Day service was what we wanted to do. Unfortunately, the next day put a damper on our plans. I went to the spa without my husband to book the two half day appointments. The calm environment that I walked into the day before was long gone.
There weren't many people in there so I was shocked when I wasn't greeted. The same older woman was behind the desk. This time she was busy talking to someone, in my opinion she was very rude to the woman she was talking to. There was another tall short haired woman behind the desk on her cell phone. Still I wasn't being greeted or helped, just waiting patiently. I noticed the tall gentleman who checked in my husband and I talking to a young girl with glasses. They both looked at me and continued on with their conversation, with the taller woman joining them. I started walking around the retail area. After waiting for what felt like forever, it was almost twenty minutes total, without so much as a "hi" frustrated I left and met my husband.
I told him what had happened in the spa we thought was wonderful. Immediately he wanted to go back in there and explain how unprofessional they all seemed. We were enjoying shopping a little and asked local vendors about the local spas when they recommended the Mirror Lake Inn. We went to their spa, very disappointed with AVEDA, and they accommodated us the best they could. The experience was wonderful and we were very happy.

To sum it up; the staff at High Peak Resort were wonderful. We enjoyed the food at the restaurant and loved our room. As a frequent spa guest to many different spas, 'Hair Affair' the AVEDA Spa was very pleasing to the eye, but looks can be deceiving. Except for the young lady who took us on the tour the staff there are very unprofessional and I wouldn't recommend this Spa. The town was perfect and the shopping was great. All of the local vendors were very charming and we were very happy. My husband and I enjoyed all the scenery and the fresh air. We will absolutely be returning, although maybe staying at a different resort.

Before writing my review I read the other reviews on the spa and hotel. Hopefully the owner of the AVDEA spa reads these reviews. The hotel must have made changes from the bad reviews I read but I can't say the same for the spa

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear travelingstooges:

Thank you for sharing your experiences at High Peaks Resort and our Aveda Concept Day Spa and Salon. While we are glad to hear that your resort experience wsa a positive one overall, we want to apologize for your spa experience. We are working with our spa team to improve the guest experience and to be sure that every guest feels welcomed and is greeted warmly upon arrival. We hope that you will visit High Peaks Resort and our Aveda Concept Day Spa and Salon the next time that you are in Lake Placid so that you can experience the high quality of service we want our guests to experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

my boyfriend and i were very excited to visit the high peaks because we heard it was a very nice place. although the room was beautiful and very convienent, the entire atmosphere of the place wasn't. unfortunatley there were only two nice people throughout the whole stay. we were constanly stared at like we shouldn't have been there which was alittle uncomfortable. it's very easy to say that it was because of our skin color being that there was absolutley nothing else it could've been. however, it's a BEAUTIFUL resort beside the people that works inside.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Dear Mel_Brownie:

It was great speaking with you today and again we apologize for the discomfort you felt during your visit with us.
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Booked a room last minute and was very impressed. Staff and extremely friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed October 2010
Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We couldn't have ask for better!!! The location was perfect...easy walk to shops & restaurants, with the ski shuttle pick up right out front. That was fabulous door to door service - just put your ski boots on and go, drop off right at the front door of the mountain.

Rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable beds and pillows!!! Comp breakfast with ski package was very good. The staff is WONDERFUL!!! Wouldn't stay any place else in Lake Placid!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I just returned from what we had planned to be a 5 day romantic getaway in Lake Placid. This was our first visit to the area, and, while we know there are more "romantic" resorts in the area, we chose High Peaks for it's location, while at the same time being able to provide us with the type of room we were looking for.

We booked a "Mirror Lake Collection" Junior Suite with jacuzzi tub and fireplace. The room did not disappoint. It was spacious and clean, and simply, yet beautifully decorated. Our balcony was directly on the banks of the lake. We had a wonderful view of all of the goings on on the lake. We had an issue getting the fireplace to work the first time and they immediately sent someone over to help us. Turns out our switch was just a little fidgety. Once we knew this we had no further troubles. The only disadvantage I can think of with the rooms on the lake is that they are located across the street from the main resort and in Winter, that is not always appealing. It was -18 F our 1st morning and we had to bundle up like eskimos to go get breakfast at Dancing Bears. It also made us hesitate using the pool or gym facilities as it was quite a long way from our room and again, very cold outside.

We had breakfast 3 mornings at Dancing Bears and the food and service were both great.

Guest services was very helpful giving us local information.

We did both have a massage at the spa. It was a nice facility, we were welcomed warmly. Not the best massage we've ever had but nothing to complain about.

Now that I've listed all the positives, let me explain what my title is all about.

My husband and I are not hockey fans. We do not follow any hockey, ever. We were not told when we made our reservations that the Can/Am hockey tournament was in town. If you are not familiar, that means there were hundreds of pre-teen/early teen boys and girls in town and in the resorts. Now keep in mind, my husband and I had just left our 2 children at home. We were not in the mood to deal with other people's children.

Lucky us, not only were they staying in the main part of the resort, they also had the rest of the mirror lake rooms. These boys (not the girls) were completely unsupervised and allowed to run around like wild animals all evening, screaming, yelling, riding luggage carts, jumping off the stairs, railings...you name it. Where were their parents?? They were all hanging out in the hallways drinking beer and partying themselves. (the amount of trash they were leaving in the hallways was shocking and disgusting). My husband stepped out twice to ask them to please stop (at 9:30pm) and was ignored. We had to call the front desk who thankfully, promptly sent security and resolved the situation that evening.

The next morning we walked over to the main resort to check out the pool area and lo and behold.. another gaggle of boys cluttering up the hallways up there, totally unsupervised. I'm sorry, but who does this??? If either of my children behaved like this I would be appalled and they would be in some serious trouble. I hate to stereotype but we have decided that these hockey people are a bunch of low lifes who should be staying at a Motel 6. We have never witnessed this behavior and ignorance anywhere we have stayed. We did not book this trip through some cut rate travel site. We booked directly through the resort and paid rack rate of approx $360 per night with taxes. I believe that at those rates, it is not a "cheap motel" and you deserve at least some level of manners in the guests and not disgusting pigs. What makes me even more angry is that when we went down to the front desk in person, they acknowledged that this group is a problem and they have to hire an extra security detail to deal with them!! Why then, were we not told this when we booked this week???? We could have easily selected another week. It really does make me angry.

So in conclusion, the resort itself is fine. If you can be assured there are no problem groups in town, go ahead and book and feel confident in your decision. If the word "hockey" comes up.... RUN! My husband and I do plan to return to Lake Placid but we will NOT be returning to High Peaks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear H-Shim,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the food and service at Dancing Bears during your stay with us.

We cannot apologize enough for the experience you had with your fellow guests. There is no excuse for this type of behavior regardless of where you are staying. Our policy regarding these groups is that they are to be respectful of other guests and quiet by 9 pm - meaning interacting quiety in our public spaces or in their rooms. We do hire added security for these events to enforce these policies and are sorry that they were not able to address your issues more proactively. In addition, our management reinforces the rules with these groups when complaints such as yours arise so everyone is clear.

We work diligently to manage our rooms so that other guests are separated from the hockey teams to prevent just such an occurance from happening. We are working to understand why this did not happen in your case to ensure that an experience such as yours does not happen again.

Please contact our Director of Brand Management if you would like to discuss your experience further. Thank you for your feedback.
Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

My wife and I recently visited one of the Mirror Lake rooms for a romantic four day V-Day getaway. The resort delivered. I'll break down my review so you can skip to the part in which you're interested.

Location:
Awesome! You're by the lake and you've got an awesome view. The main drag starts a block away, so no need to drive. There's a shuttle to downhill skiing/boarding. It's easy to find, too.

Room:
Our room was recently remodeled, and very nice. It had a modern "almost Four Seasons" feel with lighter wood accents for an Adirondack touch. This contrasts pretty sharply with the Whiteface Lodge, say, which is really hammering home (in a beautiful way) "you're in the Adirondacks now, champ."

Furnishings were quality. Flat screen TV was nice. In room fridge was useful. Save yourself some money and bring your own wine, snacks, and soda. The sofa was pleasant, but I always wonder, who uses the sofa? View overlooked Mirror Lake and a bit (one quarter?) obstructed by a nearby building; in hotels that's really as good as "unobstructed" gets, so we were happy. Also, it was fun to watch the dogsleds. One person walked in front of our patio during the stay, which was a little irksome; they didn't look in (thankfully), but after that we pulled the inner curtain.

Sleeping:
The mattress was feather top and on the cushier side. The room got sufficiently dark when the curtains were drawn. Noise was minimal. Other reviewers commented on noise above from cars pulling in and out (as there's a parking lot located over rooms), but I personally didn't find that to be the case. If anything, the overhead cars created a rumble that would reverberate a bit; it was more something you feel than hear. And, it was minor and infrequent. The real complaint was hallway noise. Doors open and close occasionally (people leave their rooms, fancy that) and too much of that noise seeps into the room. Was there anything they could do about it? Not really. Guests were quiet and respectful. No hallway noise from guest passerbys. No noise from adjacent rooms, either. Dog sleds ran on the lake from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and while we could hear them, (1) they were pretty far off, (2) it was nicer noise than doors slamming, and (3) it was way before bedtime. Bottom line: I'm a fussy sleeper, and I slept great.

No turn-down service. At this price point, it'd have been nice. At no point during this trip did my habitual talking-and-snoring-during-the-night wife even make a peep. Heck, five-stars for that small miracle alone (kidding, love you hunny...)

Bathroom:
The bathroom was very nice and surprisingly large, and "bathroom buyers" will be happy. Deeper whirlpool bath and separate walk-in shower that steams up nicely. Apparently other rooms in the property (i.e. not in the "Mirror Lake Collection") don't have bathtubs? So another TA reviewer says, anyway. Marble and earth tones theme in the room. Molton Brown products that smell lightly herbal, reminding you of just how expensive they really are. Even the modest lighting and bathroom fan work well with the room. Robes and slippers provided, too.

Do yourself the favor and wake up each morning with a long whirlpool bath. It feels amazing working out the muscles from long days of cross country skiing. It probably feels amazing, regardless.

Staff:
I'll second the chorus here that the front desk staff was young. They were competent, though, and quite friendly. We only interacted a handful of times, but each was pleasant and helpful. Possibly my largest complaint about the stay was the late room turn. We left early each day but one for skiing, but our room was turned as late as 4:00 p.m. The first day when the weather turned and we came back in from the cold at four and the room was as we left it. Annoying. There was a good eight hour window we provided. It didn't improve much during the rest of our stay. Cleaning was well done, once done.

Spa Services:
No idea, we didn't indulge :(

Parking:
One lot above the rooms, which is on the smaller side. Only one one lane entrance/exit. Fills up fast at night. Plenty of street parking, which was free at night, and only a few steps away. So, park in the lot during the day and on the street at night. Just don't keep your car on the street for too long the next morning; parking tickets come early (oh lookey, a souvenir!).

Restaurants:
We only stopped by the Dancing Bears, and only once at that. Lunch was late due to a breakfast rush (understandable). The manager offered to reduce our bill for the short wait; our waitress must not have gotten the memo (a little less understandable). We didn't really care, prices were cheap. My nachos were large and so-so. I wish they'd have been smaller and the cheese a little nicer (I'm not at a ball game...). My wife's fish sandwich was surprisingly good. The location was wicked convenient if you stay at the main building. A little less so at the Mirror Lake Collection, but still close enough. It was a good stop for a quick bite, which was nice.

Summary:
All and all, we had a great time and will certainly be returning. It's probably marketed more to younger to middle-aged patrons looking for a bit of romance or a safe haven after hiking or snow sports. We didn't see any children; Whiteface Lodge seems to have that market cornered with its "Kamp Kanu." For the salt-and-pepper romance crowd, Mirror Lake Inn seemed very nice and a bit more traditional. Again, this was a bit cheaper than both and marketed to a different demographic, I think. For what it's worth, we enjoyed our stay very much and will book again. Cheers and happy travels :).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Canton, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife and I reserved through Expedia since High Peaks wouldn't allow us to book the check-in/check-out that we wanted, but Expedia would. The resulting room was on the first floor with disability access.

The positives:
1) Great, comfortable king size bed. Absolutely great sleep and comfort.
2) Nicely appointed rooms - flat screen TV, nice shower area, good tables/chairs/desks.

The negatives:
1) The door to the courtyard was not flush to the door jamb/frame, so since it was very cold the weekend we stayed with decent wind, the cold air was rushing in through the crack. Even though the heat was working hard, I couldn't stay at the desk (near said door) and do work on a laptop without having to take a break from the draft. When the issue was raised to the staff, they said it was brought to them before and that they would have maintenance look at it (nothing was subsequently done, and I had to use a shim made of cardboard to try and curb the airflow). Not sure why a hotel of this type can't afford to re-do the door and hang it correctly to fix the issue, especially when it's been an issue to multiple customers.
2) The staff at the restaurant was not engaging at all, and seemed bothered by everyone's business. It was a busy weekend, but that is the point of retail/lodging industry, right?
3) As mentioned in other posts, the walls are paper thin. We could hear everything going on in the adjoining room. Significantly more noticeable than at other hotels.

The management was thankfully supportive of canceling/checking out early due to the above and working with Expedia to support the logistics of that transfer on the phone, but the hotel was unfortunately a big disappointment for me and my wife, and we ended up staying at another outstanding hotel down the street for the remainder of our trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to High Peaks Resort? Share your experiences!