“Great place for cross-country skiing” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Cross-country Ski Areas
Activities: Cross-country skiing, Skiing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Mount Van Hoevenberg is the starting point for 31 miles of beautiful cross-country trails that have seen both Olympic and World Cup competition.
Newtown, PA
62 attraction reviews
“Great place for cross-country skiing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have skied downhill for 40 years but never tried cross country. We are now hooked and can't wait to do it again. Mount Van Hoevenberg provides yet another Olympic experience in the Lake Placid area. The total for 2 of us to rent skis and use the facility was only $68. The conditions were perfect with over 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground. Being two days before New Year's, it was somewhat crowded getting our skis, but manageable. Once out on the trails it seemed somewhat deserted. There are miles of trails to explore and they were very well marked and maintained. Around every turn one will find winter beauty. I say give it a try if you've never done it.

Visited December 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Biathlon Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Signed up for the "Biathlon Experience" - essentially a 1hr group XC skiing lesson followed by an extremely brief tutorial on the shooting aspect of the sport and a chance to try the shooting for yourself.

The ski lesson was a little disappointing - a fairly big crowd and some late arrivals that ate about 10mins out of our 1hr lesson. Even so the coaches were great and I gained a handful of useful pointers that have made me a better skier already.

The shooting was a nice experience though the connection between the two elements is a bit weak. I understand that the ski course is designed to get the heart pumping so that the shooting is more challenging - our experience was 15mins of standing in the cold waiting for our turn to fire 10 shots at the targets. However, even despite this criticism I am hooked!

Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty trails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My daughter and I spent 2 days XC skiing. Very pretty skiing. Parking is easily accessible. We started wit the Flatlander extension trail and came back to ski the Northbrook trail and somehow missed the trail marker and ended up in the biathlon area. Gorgeous days. Nice chalet with wood burning fire.

Visited January 2013
Québec
5 attraction reviews
“More cowbell!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Enjoyed the opening to FIBT World Cup circuit with our young family Nov. 9-10. Watching bobsled and skeleton live was a super experience to share with the kids. Photos turned out amazing. This Olympic site was a joy to explore. Great restaurants on Main Street, Lake Placid, with good coffee to keep you warm while you shop. Plan your stay around a sporting event, the Village gives off a great vibe with tons of venues hosting different things. Stay a week and you leave ADKnized.

Visited November 2012
Saranac Lake
3 attraction reviews
“Cool bobsled track”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I went to the first bobsled race of the season here with my son and had a great time. I would recommend wearing proper clothing and boots. Its a outside venue and some of the walkways are slippery. I watched several people slip on icy steps.

Visited November 2012