“Best part of our summer trip (luge here)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Attractions in Lake Placid
Type: Arenas/ Stadiums/ Fields, Sports Complexes, Lookouts, Theaters & Stadiums
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visitors to this year-round training and competition site can watch daring ski-divers, or take an elevator to a platform to see how high Olympic skiers jump.
Concord, New Hampshire
29 attraction reviews
“Best part of our summer trip (luge here)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I think this was the highlight of the trip. We marveled at the alpine jumps... without ever seeing an athlete jump on that (that's one regret - there were amble opportunities). Our passports enabled us to ride the chairlift for free, which gets you to the elevator, which takes you to the top of the 120m jump. This is also the place to go for the luge experience. I was nervous 'bout doing this... picturing road rash or something... but, it was wicked fun. They provide you with a mild progression from a straight run to a run with a curve to a timed run. Fit right in with our wicked competitive family. Leah, who ran the luge thing, was the BEST. Very personable. A former elite athlete with experiences on the skeleton and the bobsled, she spent a lot of time talking to my kids. Watching athletes train into the jumping pool was also very cool... and FREE! The luge experience was 'bout $35 pp for an hour. Some will claim expensive... I thought it was worth it.

“Impressive view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We were amazed by the site. We weren't quite sure what to expect, so we were very impressed by the view. We were disappointed that there was no show on the day that we visited but were impressed with the kids practicing at the facilities. We brought a picnic, there were tables available. Great place to visit, and our 7 and 9 year olds enjoyed it too.

United States
4 attraction reviews
“Wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Once at the top of the ski jump my appreciation for what these athlete's do went up exponentially! Offered some great perspective on how challenging ski jumping really is.

Hershey, PA
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing! Beautiful views too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We now have a whole new respect for winter olympic sports! We visited on a Wednesday and watched the summer jumping series. TV does not do these sports justice. The athletes are amazing and they stay after the events to talk with spectators and sign autographs. The athletes were so gracious and friendly. It was a great experience for the whole family and my daughters (9 and 4) loved it! We took the elevator to the top of 120m jump after - views were beautiful. This a must see if you are in Lake Placid on a Wednesday or Saturday!

Danbury, Connecticut
11 attraction reviews
“Had a little scare.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I are senior citizen who've never been to chair lift. We told the operator, but he did not help. First, I could not jump on the moving chair that is quite high for my height. He did not explain about safety bar. My husband got on alone and moved halfway up without safety bar down. What a Scare. Eventually, he got figured. For me, he stopped the car and helped me down the satefy bar. Else, it was worthwhile to go up to see the complex.