“Don't listen to the pessimists!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lamplight Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Luzerne
Lamplight Inn Bed and Breakfast
231 Lake Avenue, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Lake Luzerne B&B and Inns
PA
“Don't listen to the pessimists!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

Wow, I am truly shocked at others' comments. I booked our two night mid-week stay via telephone. Linda, one of the owners, could not have been any nicer or more accomodating. When my husband and I arrived for our 10 year anniversary, we were met by Gene who guided us to our room and gave us miscellaneous info on where to eat, etc . for the night. We saw Linda and Gene when we went out to dinner and later for ice cream. They are friendly, easy-going people. This is the nicest place we have ever stayed. Everything was perfect and absolutely gorgeous. The breakfast was perfect for a health nut, as there was plenty of fresh fruit, homemade granola...and egg-white omelettes too! As far as the comments regarding the rules, the rules are completely reasonable and totally called for in today's world of law suits. We are already talking with friends to go back for a couples vacation. The Lamplight Inn is realxing, romantic, and refreshing! It is a definite MUST-STAY!!

• Liked — everything!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

If you are looking for a change of pace from the everyday grind, I would very much suggest a stay at this Inn, a Victorian Inn where all is spendidly taken care of. You will leave refreshed.
My wife & I recently spent a delightful 2 night stay at the Inn. Everything was perfect. We will recommend the Lamplight to our friends and plan on returning.

Helen & Tom J
Vermont

• Liked — ambiance, decor, great hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at this bed and breakfast in October - we read about it in Karen Brown's book and arrived wihout a reservation. The Owner couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. We loved our room, loved the breakfast, and just appreciated the friendliness and warmth of the place. Had I not gotten sick ( a cold - not from the food!), we would have stayed longer than one night. We'll definitely go back next time we're out east.

• Liked — The quality of the room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

This inn is truly a decent place to stay, and the laudatory remarks made in earlier posts are not, strictly speaking, inaccurate. The place is clean, the house is lovely, and the breakfast is good. The keyhole staircase is a must-see. Overall, my wife and I would like to say that we would stay here again, but honestly we will try our best to avoid it, if we can.

Although this will seem like heresy to the many returning guests the innkeepers obviously take as an endorsement of their hospitality, the eccentric atmosphere created by the management can leave you with a creepy feeling. Among our biggest gripes is the many "house rules" posted here and there about the house, and in the rooms. Rules advising guests not to "fool around" with the gas fireplaces or smoke in the rooms are understandable common sense, but just a small sample of the many, many other proscriptive edicts paints a rather dreary picture:
1) Do not iron on the carpeting or on the bedspread.
2) Do not take anything from the guest refrigerator that is not yours.
3) Don't take amenities from other rooms in the inn.
4) No whipped cream in the jacuzzi. (yuck!)
...and many more, each calling to mind a cautionary example of the kind of behavior evidently common among previous guests of the house. Guests are even denied leave to add a log to the wood-burning fireplace in the living room (you need to find and disturb the staff for this). What prompted the introduction of this last rule, I can only imagine.

In summary, one gets the feeling that the inkeepers have, as they said in a recent circular, "seen it all" after decades in the business, and they've started to view each new guest as a potential liability: nasty, brutish and destructive.

I fear that only new management can revive the feeling of welcome that is absent from this otherwise beautiful, potentially romantic and charming place.

• Liked — Nice house, good breakfast.
  • Disliked — Cool disinterested hosts.
  • Stayed March 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lake George,NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

I was planning on getting married locally, since Im a local, and boy has it been hard work choosing between all the places here! I was on a drive though the country up into Lake Luzerne just outside of Lake George and stumbled upon the cutest B&B I have ever seen called the Lamplight Inn. They were closed so I wrote down the number, went online when I was home and looked it up. The pictures just made me fall in love! So I emailed them, asking them if they could accomodate a small irish candlelight ceremony of about 20 people, then we would stay in one of their Jacuzzi suites. I received an email back a few days later from Sally who said the owner was away she would have her get back to me. That was late April. So, early May I called and asked if the owner was in, to be told they were away on vacation.. sigh.. they said to call her back Friday (May 5) to talk to her. So I called back on Cinco De Mayo and she was somewhere on site but noone knew where, so we'll tell her you called. Well it's not late Thursday, almost a week later and still no word! Can you say Elope? Ugh! I was going to get married at a local hotel that was a little pricey but cute enough, nothing as charming as this place looked but still quite nice.. alot of people alot of food and all the hassle.. but when I saw this place I fell in love and wanted a smaller wedding with more intimacy.. Thank you Lamplight B&B for ruining my dreams of a charming wedding! Ok so the place is cute. the pics are precious.. the land is surrounded by country perfection.. the owners are mean and rude and can't be bothered! If you want to stay somewhere that looks charming, check it out.. but good luck getting a reservation or a phone call.. and lets hope if you have an emergency while you're there that you can actually find someone who works there to help you!

Valentino, Owner at Lamplight Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
This review in 2006 was posted before owners had the ability to respond to Trip Advisor. I think it is time to respond to this. In 2006, there were minimal cell phones and internet connections. Very unlike now. We were away. I spend 3 months in Florida and in late April we were driving up from there to New York to start our season. No cell phone. Our assistant was handling the telephone as the calls were forwarded to her home. We stopped in NJ where I was delayed for a bit. My Mom was dying. I know this is no problem of yours. When I finally arrived at the Inn, you had already sent emails to the Inn threatening to bad mouth us on a travel website because you were a "writer", and we did not respond to you quickly enough. I did not appreciate your demeaner through the emails, and hosting a September wedding for you would most probably have been a "Bridezilla" experience. OK, maybe I should have responded the day I arrived at the Inn after being away for 3 months, but Innkeepers are real people who have family and personal lives, and I was thinking about my mother and a million other things waiting for me to do. So for you to vent to Trip Advisor that the Innkeepers were mean and rude to you when you never even met us or spoke to us was cruel and nasty on your part, or that you could not get in touch with anyone is not true. You did reach our Assistant by phone and nasty emails, but at that point we wanted nothing to do with you.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2003

Everytime we stay in lake george we stay at this b&b called The Lamplight Inn. It is very nice for couples looking to getaway for romance and peace and quiet. Very nice innkeepers. EXCELLENT breakfast. In a beautiful area of Lake Luzurne, 20 min. from lake george. Cannot say enough about this place. Highly recommend.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2003

This B&B is excellent in every way. Stayed here 4x's and it just keeps getting better. Most romantic rooms, excellent breakfast and the nicest innkeepers. Highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking for romance and to relax.

Been to Lamplight Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!