“Long way out” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Limuru
Johannesburg
“Long way out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was a great looking hotel . But way too far out
Difficult to find out what makes it 5 star as the food was fair to average
The place is clean and the staff is not well trained
Not really a place I would recommend - unless you want to be far out of town and want some fresh air
We were there only one night - but it was safe and gardens were well kept

Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

if you need a quiet time to spend with the people you love ,try out this place...i really cannot explain how i felt when we got there ..but it was magical...The rooms are very big ,loved loved the bathroom,i actually loved everything about this place ...the staff are very professional and very kind...One morning,I didn't go down for breakfast and one of the waiter brought juice for me...I mean what else can you ask for??The first few hours someone may feel like the place is haunted (at least that is how I felt :) but it is an amazing amazing place....One thing we did not like is how it is located on Google maps,we thought it was after The Village market,but it is not the case,we searched for it for like one hour or so..but then again,when you find it you are just taken away by everything

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The price is great and the hotel is beautiful, the only problem was I slept on a box spring, rather didn't sleep. Wifi didn't work in the room, only the lobby. We were to have breakfast early in the morning because of a needed 7am departure. We just request coffee and fruit. We were told the night before when we made the request that they could accommodate that. When I asked about it at 6:30 they asked if they could do tea instead. That was fine after about 10 minutes I asked about it and they asked me to go to the patio area, I waited for 10 minutes and no one ever showed up. By 7:15 we drove away hungry and unhappy. Although our group has used this place before because of the location and convenience, I'm not sure I would want to return.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you're looking for a reasonably priced property with a lot of history, Sovereign Suites is a good suggestion.

It is a ways out of the city center, though worth the drive.

I had a team of colleagues traveling with me and was responsible for their travel plans. We checked in and asked the clerk if we could please have a simple breakfast precisely at 7:00 a.m. We were on a very tight schedule. I was assured that we would have it ready prior to 7:00 a.m.

Though the rooms are amazingly spacious, beds are hard and can be uncomfortable.

When we awoke the next morning and gathered in the lobby at 6:45, we found that not only had breakfast not been started, we were told to "sit and wait ten minutes" and it would be ready. Fifteen minutes later, we heard lots of clanking in the kitchen with continued promises that it would be ready soon.

At 7:15 we walked out the door of the hotel having expressed our frustrations to the front desk clerk. They all just stood there looking shocked that we were leaving.

Tip to management: when client says they have to eat at 7 and you promise it at that time, have it ready at 6:45, not starting it at 7:15.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Nairobi Region, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I pass by Sovereign Suites quite often and it has always intrigued. Looks so grand from outside so I have always wanted to visit. I finally got a chance to visit the place for an event on 10th January.

The llok and feel of the place failed to meet my expectations. It had this "deserted" look. The pool for example looked so uninviting. Like no one has been swimming there lately...

I never saw the rooms , maybe they are better. Maybe.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

Sovereign Suites, Limuru is a Gorgeous place. Unfortunately, that's the only good thing I have to say about it. Never have I ever seen or received such horrible service. My darling friend just had her gorgeous wedding there this past weekend. All reservations and confirmation for the premises, rooms etc were done months in advance. The bride and groom made sure that they followed up with management and all parties concerned regarding the same. This included numerous site visits. It was infuriating, to say the least that the bride and groom only found out after the wedding was over that their guests had no rooms to go to. Some of the rooms had been allocated to other guests.
I checked in at 12pm but was not given my key card. At 7pm, the bride and groom had to sit down and figure out where their guests would stay. This resulted in me giving up my room for the other guests. I was not made aware of the fact that my room was already allocated to them when I checked in.
What was worse was that the manager in charge of the bride and grooms account was no where to be seen or found. She was out of reach all weekend and couldn't even be bothered to hand over the days events to a capable colleague.
Things got from bad to worse. The food that was supposed to be served at the dinner party was served late, with some dishes being served well after the guests were done eating or given up waiting. At some point, my friend and I had to go to the kitchen and ask for cutlery and hand them out to the guests ourselves because no one seemed to care that guests waited so long that they started eating with their hands.
The room my great friend and I shared had a filthy, dirt stained carpet and no hot water. My friends got a room that had a leaking bathroom that flooded most of the space.
At breakfast, all orders were wrong and it took a minimum of an hour to get anything. Our breakfast table was cleared at 3.30 pm and only after the bride requested for lunch to be served.
I could go on and on about our horrible experience with them, especially after such a BEAUTIFUL wedding day but I'm sure you get the picture.
I WOULD NOT, in NO CIRCUMSTANCE, recommend this place especially if the management isn't changed.
Oh. Please triple check all orders and payments. They tend to double charge and are very convincing.

Room Tip: ask them to show you the rooms available. Pick for yourself
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of tea and flower plantations on Limuru road. Fresh air is in abundant supply. The view is breathtaking. The service was excellent and the overall size of the place elevates it way above other boutique hotels. I plan to keep going back!

Room Tip: Dress warm especially if planning for dinner.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to Sovereign Suites, Nairobi - Sun Africa Hotels? Share your experiences!