“Gorgeous place HORRIBLE service” 1 of 5 stars

Sovereign Suites, Nairobi - Sun Africa Hotels
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limuru Road,, Limuru, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Limuru
Nairobi, Kenya
“Gorgeous place HORRIBLE service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

Sovereign Suites, Limuru is a Gorgeous place. Unfortunately, that's the only good thing I have to say about it. Never have I ever seen or received such horrible service. My darling friend just had her gorgeous wedding there this past weekend. All reservations and confirmation for the premises, rooms etc were done months in advance. The bride and groom made sure that they followed up with management and all parties concerned regarding the same. This included numerous site visits. It was infuriating, to say the least that the bride and groom only found out after the wedding was over that their guests had no rooms to go to. Some of the rooms had been allocated to other guests.
I checked in at 12pm but was not given my key card. At 7pm, the bride and groom had to sit down and figure out where their guests would stay. This resulted in me giving up my room for the other guests. I was not made aware of the fact that my room was already allocated to them when I checked in.
What was worse was that the manager in charge of the bride and grooms account was no where to be seen or found. She was out of reach all weekend and couldn't even be bothered to hand over the days events to a capable colleague.
Things got from bad to worse. The food that was supposed to be served at the dinner party was served late, with some dishes being served well after the guests were done eating or given up waiting. At some point, my friend and I had to go to the kitchen and ask for cutlery and hand them out to the guests ourselves because no one seemed to care that guests waited so long that they started eating with their hands.
The room my great friend and I shared had a filthy, dirt stained carpet and no hot water. My friends got a room that had a leaking bathroom that flooded most of the space.
At breakfast, all orders were wrong and it took a minimum of an hour to get anything. Our breakfast table was cleared at 3.30 pm and only after the bride requested for lunch to be served.
I could go on and on about our horrible experience with them, especially after such a BEAUTIFUL wedding day but I'm sure you get the picture.
I WOULD NOT, in NO CIRCUMSTANCE, recommend this place especially if the management isn't changed.
Oh. Please triple check all orders and payments. They tend to double charge and are very convincing.

Room Tip: ask them to show you the rooms available. Pick for yourself
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of tea and flower plantations on Limuru road. Fresh air is in abundant supply. The view is breathtaking. The service was excellent and the overall size of the place elevates it way above other boutique hotels. I plan to keep going back!

Room Tip: Dress warm especially if planning for dinner.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Greenbackville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

I just spent two nights/days at this hotel just north of Nairobi's central district.
I think it was formerly a country club and has only 16 rooms/apartments.
It provides a very comfortable and relaxed environment and the staff are all professional, courteous and helpful. It is well appointed with a full bar and very adequate restaurant.
It's about 45-60 mins taxi drive to/from Nairobi centre so you need to build that time into a journey to town but the relaxed environment at the hotel more than compensates..
I will certainly return to Sovereign Suites on my next visit to Nairobi.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Amazing place to stay. When we turned up we thought we were in the wrong place as we were supposed to be staying in budget hotels for our safari. It is a fair drive from the airport, but well worth it. Our room was fantastic. Food excellent. The hotel has a real wow factor. Because we were leaving early before breakfast was to be served, they provided us with a packed breakfast for us to take with us which had far more in than we could eat.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

This was the most beautiful hotel we have ever stayed in. The location is quite far from the airport, about an hour and a half's drive, but the beauty of the building, the wooden interiors, the bedroom and whole area truly makes up for it! It is perfect for a romantic trip for a few nights. The bathroom and beds were extremely luxurious and large and up to all the standards of a five star boutique hotel. The staff were all amazingly warm and hospitable people. They were attentive and kind to answer all our questions about the building and the art as well as to give us helpful advise and tips regarding what to see and do while in Kenya. Would love to visit them all again soon!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

This hotel was very quiet when we arrived, we had worked out that the google map was wrong (before we set off) and were greatful for it's peaceful location. (Great for getting into that side of town but not near).
The old colonial style building is well looked after and has a charm of it's own. Especially the bar with indoor fountain. Lovely rooms we were upgraded to a suite when we found ourselves able to smell the restaurant cooking.
Staff were very helpful and gently spoken. The suite was just lovely. A few odd basics were missing, toothbrush/vanity shelf above the sink, facial tissues and bin in the bathroom. But otherwise the rooms were utterly luxurious and charming. We had a lovely romantic night off from the kids!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

The hotel is excellent, so is the service and the breakfast is amazing. The only issue I had is that the location on Google map (I booked through Agoda) showed it is in Gigiri, when in fact it is at least a 20 minute drive from that location. This needs to be rectified.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to Sovereign Suites, Nairobi - Sun Africa Hotels? Share your experiences!