We went to The Gambia the 1st week of November for some warm sunshine. And yes we got it! Mid 90's every day for 10 days. Went with Thomas Cook and overall everything went smoothly. My only criticism would be, that the plane, which was fairly new, had no in flight entertainment. Obviously you're expected to take your own! At the Sheraton, were quickly checked in and taken to our room. Due to the heat, we then went to the bar for a drink, only to find that when we returned to our room, the electronic door key would not work. After several attempts and as it was getting dark, we asked to be moved to another room. This was done quickly by the reception staff and for the inconvenience caused, they upgraded us. Well done Sheraton!
Now for the pro's and con's. This hotel is not up to Sheraton worldwide standard, so if you go, don't expect it to be. It is a little tired in places, but our room was fine and everything worked ok.
The hotel was less than half full so there were plenty of staff to attend to our needs. Most were extremely helpful (looking for a tip?) but there were a few who should'nt be in the "service " industry. The good ones always beaming had smiles and I will mention Alieu, Modou and Ya-Ya in particular. They certainly were a credit to the hotel. The food was not the most varied or best we have experienced on All Inclusive, but it was perfectly acceptable. However, the wine served at the table was pretty rough, although by the end of the week you got a bit used to it! (the bottle of Hardy's on the plane back, was like nectar!) However, the coffee, (from Kenya) was the best I had for ages. After our evening dinner, having got the coffee (and a brandy), it was a shame that there were no comfortable chairs to sit on . The ones around the bar were "dining room straight back" chairs and weighed a ton. Surely you can do better than this Sheraton?
There was no problem with getting sun loungers due to the hotel be less than half full. However, if you want to take a drink away from the bar (even to your room) you had to have stupid plastic, multi coloured beakers with integral straw. (see picures) Again Sheraton, get a grip and get some decent plastic glasses. The sea was like a warm bath and the beach was empty for miles in both directions. I only used the pool once, as there was too much chlorine for my liking.There were no "activities" or blaring music which made for a delightfully peaceful break. There were however, local groups most evenings, who played quietly during happy hour and dinner and their music was excellent.
We only went on 1 trip, which was to the "Roots" village up the Gambia River and James Island. We booked this with a local tour operator, called "Arch Tours" and saved ourselves £50 against the tour operators rep. Arch Tours were extremely professional from the moment they picked us up to the time they dropped us off, and I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone visiting the Gambia. ( they have 5* rating on Trip Advisor)
So all in all, we enjoyed our 10 days in the Gambia. It was what we wanted and apart from the few niggles above, I would recommend The Sheraton, but don't expect 5*.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort And Spa
- Sheraton Gambia Hotel Serekunda
- Sheraton Gambia Hotel
- Sheraton Serekunda
- Serekunda Sheraton
- Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa Serekunda
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa, enjoy the tropical leisure, sand, sea and and the tranquillity of our spa. The unique, spectacular architecture, with its blocks of 186 guest rooms perched on two cliffs overlooking the Atlantic coastline, provides a serene environment. Tropical palm and baobab trees dotted along the immaculate landscape allow gentle Atlantic sea breezes to flow. Cozy guest rooms with private balconies offer unmasked sea views right from the comfort of your bed and the attractive all-inclusive concept surrounds your treat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.