“Position!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa

You added Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   AU Hwy, Brufut Heights | PO Box 3311, Serekunda, Gambia   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Serekunda
Cockermouth
“Position!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Having read a lot about this hotel I thought I should try set the record straight. I have been to the Gambia a few times and standards are a little different to other destinations.

My trip to the Sheraton was actually a very good. My wife and I had an upgrade to a beach front room which was brilliant. We were driven down in a golf buggy by a charming young lad, good start!. We had booked bed and breakfast. Major mistake! Firstly when you come to order drinks at the bar you will need a mortgage. Secondly when you go out of the hotel there is no sign of a bar or a restaurant in walking distance. We quickly upgraded to all-inclusive. Of course, now they have got you.

Meals over the week were ok - nothing outstanding. Be aware that beef and lamb in the Gambia will be nothing like the standard we enjoy here in the UK. Stick to fish and chicken especially prawns which are outstanding, but done best in the restaurants in Serekunda.

The room was lovely - the staff were mixed, but the waiters were excellent.

Overall - the hotel was really nice. The spa was absolutely outstanding!

Biggest problem is position because without a lengthy taxi ride there is no choice at all. So if you like a great beach, cheap drinks, ok food then book this all inclusive and enjoy brilliant sunshine.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GM-Sheraton G, General Manager at Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear WinemanCocker,

Thank you very much for your recently posted hotel review of the Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort and Spa.
I did recognized that you actually stayed with us in January 2012, basically a month after my take over.
I would like to inform you that since then a lot has changed.
We do have entire new culinary team, and we did changed completely our approach to food and beverage and actually are a place for foodies in town.
The implementation of newly build live cooking station, outdoor pizza and roast oven as well as the new entertainment program are a full success.
I hope to welcome you at the Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort soon again.

Best regards,

Marc Wozniak / GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This Sheraton has so much potential - beautiful setting, nice architecture and great rooms. The biggest disappointment for me was the restaurant - during my week there not one good meal. And with the hotel being so far out of town there was no alternative restaurant one could walk to. Also couldn't get the listed television stations, and internet signal was weak and often not working at all. But as many have said in other reviews, the bar staff make up for many of the hotel's shortcomings, especially Ya-Ya.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GM-Sheraton G, General Manager at Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear eezygoit,
Thank you for commenting on your Sheraton Gambia experience, even straight to the point, tough on us, still valid information helping us the recognize Business Travellers needs and improve on them soonest.
Thank you also for pointing out Yaya, our true bar talent and your comments made him very happy.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Marc Wozniak // GM
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

First of all, they could not find my reservation when I was checking in. I had the confirmation page , but took 30 minutes for them to do the check in !!!
Then after 45 munits later, a porter took me to a room, which was flooded big time all over the place with tv code near by on the floor !
The phone was code lessn, but in the way that it dose not function with missing code. The AC was terrible too. It was set in the way that it can only run "low".
So I had them change rooms. Twice. It only got worse.
Not to mention , all this moving from the reception to room to rooms , it was raining quite a bit and no one cared about me or my luggage getting wet. I was soaked by the time I was finally put into a proper room !when I complained about this , he blamed me for not asking for an umbrella or golf cart ! I mean, hello, it's raining, and I'm a guest, and we r about to walk for a good distance! Isn't that his job to care about the guest ? On top, there is one eyed old man who is in charge of taxis at Sheraton
Dose Sheraton HQ know that this man dose not look and dress like someone who works at Sheraton ? He looks like one of those hasslers at airport , and indeed , he was charging us twice as much.
Every staff, even taxi drivers says he is a horrible man.  It really was sickening to see that man.  Staff and guests r complaining about him.   But the management doesn't fire  him  due to some conspiracy. Staff r afraid to speak up about it too.
I guess the manager is a dictator there. I checked in Sunday and the manager was off. Really? Sheraton ? There is no manager on Sunday ?

The setting and rooms r great! The beach and pool and ... It is a paradise you always imagined!
Such a sham, beautiful setting, incompetant staff.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Sofiamoon,
I do acknowledge your posting in regards to your experience while staying with us and do apologize sincerely for that.
On my return to the Gambia I saw your review and immediately started the investigation in regards to your arrival experience, the mentioned taxi driver and the general attitude.
The entire case is still not closed yet, as it requires the head drivers and the Gambia drivers’ association involvement.
Please be informed that the Sheraton Gambia has no taxis, neither drives with the described look and here I will make sure that such incident won’t happen again.
Once again please kindly accept my sincere apology.
Furthermore to you disappointing check-in experience, I will be in touch with you shortly to fully understand exactly what went wrong and also to ensure that in the end we will be able to meet your expectations.
Thank you for sharing.
Best regards,
Marc Wozniak // GM
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We travelled to the Sheraton Gambia on a last minute deal booked through Gambia Experience for a second stay at this Hotel, hoping that second time around we would not be disappointed as we loved our stay last year.

We were NOT disappointed as this year was even better.

At check in the manager welcomed us back and we were checked in and taken to our rooms right on the front. After unpacking we went to the bar and all the staff from last year recognized us and welcomed us back. Alieu G was on his way to the bar and on seeing my Husband lifted him off his feet and hugs all round.

All the staff gave us brilliant customer service, a small roll call to mention a few of the best. Bakary Jarju at breakfast, Alieu G, evening meal, Mustafa, & Yaya at the bar, and the pool guys always rushing to get mattresses and towels a big thank you to all three but especially to Amadou.

Without the great service of each and everyone this hotel would not be as enjoyable.

This year there was a new head chef, Lamin and the quality of food was exceptional with a load of choice of freshly prepared options cooked in front of you. Sunday Lunch with a spit roast, stir fry, bbq, fries and Jazz music which was really good.
We travelled as a family of four, and although quiet for children the beach, pool and pool table kept them happy.

We will definitely be looking to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear JeanneB,
Thank you very much for your review on the Sheraton Gambia Hotel resort & Spa.
Good to hear that you repeating visit was a good surprise, staff assistance and friendliness up to your expectations and that we were able to satisfy you culinary family needs accordantly.
Your kind comments were shared among the staff and especially Bakary, Alieu, Mustafa, Yaya and Amadou appreciated the personalized comments.
Once again, thank you very much for sharing with us.
All the best,
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel and location is beautiful; however, the entire place is falling apart! The maintenance culture is obviously poor/non-existing. The first room we were given was dirty and they had to come up to clean the floors and everywhere. We finally changed rooms, because the air conditioner was not working and the heat was unbearable. It took 2 days but they finally got around to changing the room. We checked out 5 rooms before we could finally settle for the one with the least problem! All the rooms had one major issue or the other. The room we settled for had a smaller bed than we paid for and a leaking roof, but by then, we couldnt be bothered...we had had enough! We just put a bucket and allowed the water to drip into it!!!!!
As for the service we recieved there, the worst ever!!!! I am an African and I am used to poor service....but this is the worst I have ever experienced in my entire life!!!! Asking for something as little as a teaspoon would take hours and repeated requests!!!! Check-in took over an hour!!!! The staff just seemed really clueless!
The food was good most times and the natives are really friendly.
I wouldnt return to Sheraton Gambia ever again!

Room Tip: Make sure you check that everything is in good condition before you accept whichever room you are gi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-Sheraton G, General Manager at Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Yetty B,

Thank you very much for your recent review on Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa.

Reading through your lines truly touches me and I feel so sorry that such was experienced during your recent visits.
There is not much to say and further excuses aren’t necessary, therefore I will be in touch with you on Monday to ensure that the entire team feels with you and that we will go the extra step to furthermore meet your satisfaction.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was our second visit to Gambia, which we fell in love with the first time round. We stayed in the Sheraton for the first time this year and were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful this hotel is. We had a ground floor room witch was in perfect location to the beach and the bar. We had the pool guy bring us some sun loungers so we could use the grassed area outside our room but still be right on the white sandy beach.
In Gambia it can become a little annoying when you are trying to relax on the beach and the locals come and talk to you, they don't try and sell to you they are just really friendly, however, at the Gambia the beach is private and you don't have this problem. The food here was the best I've ever had for an all inclusive holiday and the drinks are made extremely strong!

I would strongly recommend getting out and about around serrekunda. If you venture left on the Beach you will meet "Happy" who is a lovely guy, he has a beach shack called Happy's Bar. We went to see him afternoon and we ended up staying until the army hours of the morning, just drinking and dancing round a palm tree fire. The next day he took us along to the fishing village for a walk and a nose about. He's great to speak to about local history!

There is plenty of things to do in Gambia and I am pleased we managed to see most of it before it has been commercialised. Think Bulgaria 4/5years ago. I'm happy to see that there is some money being given to the happy smiley people of Gambia!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rochelle R,

Thank you very much for your comments on Sheraton Gambia Hotel resort & Spa.
I think you explanation and view on the Gambia provided, touched exactly what it is and it at the same time, it’s a pleasure that you did enjoyed your vacation to the fullest.
Good to read that we were able to meet your expectation as well, and I am sure the Happy People Bar team enjoys the advertising.
Nice to have smiling guests departing and we do hope the see you in the Gambia soonest again.

Have a good day.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I travelled here in febuary with my husband we stayed on an all inclusive basis,the hotel was very clean,food very good and location on the beach fantastic! We didnt venture out as we were there to just relax after a very busy christmas and new year! I think they could do with some sort of entertainment in the evening as not much to do apart from visit the bar,however after long days in the sunshine we found ourselves very tired and happy to retire to our air con rooms. Would be happy to return next year :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-Sheraton G, General Manager at Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear AnnieG2,

It very nice to see your motivating review for the Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa and the entire team say thank you for that!

We are also looking forward to welcome you in the Gambia with us soonest again and would appreciated further comment on the current property improvements, getting ready for the next high season.

We did look into the entertainment factor as well.

Thanks again for your comments.

Marc Wozniak / GM

Been to Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!