“Beware” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Tiki Resort

You added The Tiki Resort to your Saves list
The Tiki Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Canada Street, Lake George, NY 12845 (Formerly Howard Johnson )   |
Ranked #47 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Port Henry NY
“Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked a room for our honeymoon. We arrived very excited but were quickly burned when we were told we could not stay and were just about thrown to the curb because my new husband had misplaced his wallet the day before our wedding and could not produce a photo ID. I had mine but it was not good enough for the rude owner or desk clerk. We tried to explain the situation but instead of trying to understand our problem we were made to feel as if we were terrorists on a mission and told to leave. With no other reservation we were devestated. We search sixteen other places for a room and were able to find a overpriced, rundown place on the strip for a one night stay and had to return home the next day. To say the least this place is a dive and I would never advise anyone to use the place. With management like that how does HO JO's maintain thier reputation for great customer service...
By the way my new husband is 27yrs old and does not look underage. The whole things iwas a nightmare and when making reservations you may ask if you will need proof of age to enter the establishment.....

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — we were not allowed to stay
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

We've just spent a few days at the Howard Johnson's hotel at Lake George. I went on line to see what was available but, before I booked the room I called the hotel about the "mini-suite" we were interested in. The website said the room was on the first floor and I wanted to be sure it was not in a noisy location. I was assured it wasn't in a noisy location (it wasn't) but that it was a beautiful suite. Upon check-in we discovered the "mini-suite" was the same size as a standard room except that it had 2 tvs and a tiny refrigerator and tiny 4 burner stove stuck against the wall. Hardly the suite or kitchenette one would picture. Not even a microwave that one would certainly expect in a kitchenette. When we made our reservation we used the "Request" feature to ask that extra pillows be supplied for each of us. That was not honored. Further, the "first floor" the room was located on was more of a basement level of the building it was in (you have to walk up 1 flight of stairs to walk outside). Then you have to walk uphill (from the location in the hotel we were) to reach the in-ground outdoor pool (some rooms are in a building on the same level as the pool). Don't expect to use the outdoor pool unless you really enjoy cold water. It's not a heated pool. Even in the 80+ degree weather we enjoyed, there were about a dozen people sitting around the pool but only 2 small children could bear to get into the water and they didn't even last long. As for the indoor pool: It's more of a wading pool -- 4 feet at its deepest end. It's a very short length (3-4 strokes might get you from one end to the other). When I walked into where the indoor pool was located there was a strong smell of chlorine. I wouldn't want to be a guest in the room that abuts the indoor pool (room 325). The one benefit of the outdoor pool was it was a good area to stand at on Thursday night at 9:30 to watch fireworks that were launched from a barge on Lake George. A coffeemaker and coffee is provided in the rooms but, as with most hotel room coffee, it's terrible. The saving grace (or so I thought) was that there is a restaurant in the hotel. The coffee in the restaurant wasn't any better.Further, we weren't allowed to charge our bill to our room as the front desk had told me we would be allowed to do. On the plus side, the hotel is close to the downtown area and the lake. It is convenient in that you can park your car and walk downtown within 5 minutes. Location is this this hotel's saving grace. We've made many trips to Lake George and this was our first and probably our last stay here. We highly recommend the following: Fort William Henry; Holiday Inn; Best Western and Park Lane Motel.

• Liked — was a place to sleep
  • Disliked — not what i was led to expect
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

I've been at the HJ's Tiki Resort a few times and it is not as bad as people are stating. It is not a 4 star hotel, but it is clean and the staff is very nice. The furniture does need to be updated, but I found the bathroom & the linens to be in good shape and clean. While we were at the pool, their were several employees keeping the grounds up. Its a good value for the money, especially if you go off season or can get a coupon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — TV was too small
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

The only thing good about this hotel is the location. It was close enough to the 'sites' to make it easy to walk to the hotel when needed. The price wasn't too bad when I booked either. The main problem is the filth. Urine stains in the bathroom and crud on the box spring (I think it was a berry of some sort).

As others have said, the balcony isn't really a balcony. It's probably 3" long.

The lady at the front desk was nice and polite.

I wouldn't go back to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Filth
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hempstead, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

Myself and friends stayed here for a week in July and left it with mixed feelings.

Walking into the room we were amazed at its size. Such a cramped up room (in the "300" building) with hardly any room for someone to walk around. They did offer a small desk for two people, but if you are sitting there; it is not possible for the front door of the room to be opened without that person getting up. Also bear in mind that this is a room with 2 double beds, supposedly for families on vacation, but there are only 2 chairs. For everyone else, the only place you can really be is on the bed. Then came the bathroom; which was so small it makes other small bathrooms I've been in seem big. Basically, you can maybe make 1 step inside without bumping into something.

They did have wireless internet. But when I reported that it was not working, the front desk acted like I was speaking a foreign language and the maintenance person had to be convinced that there was a problem. Their way of settling this issue was giving me a 1-800 number to call. So I did, and after about 20 minutes on hold, the person at that number told me "there has been a problem with the internet at that facility today but it will be fixed by tomorrow." If I was told that initially, I would have been fine. But if they were having a problem, shouldn't the front desk and maintenance staff have been aware of this and not treat me like my concern was irrelevant? Shouldn't they have cared more that the internet wasn't working. That sums up their front desk. They don't give a damn. Later in the week as I picking up some brochures that same desk clerk couldn't even respond or smile when I said good morning. Reading her book was more important.

The hotel advertises a basketball area. What they fail to mention is that they let people park right by the hoop, rendering this area useless.

There are some positives though: the outdoor pool is very nice (but the indoor pool is very rundown). And it's location to the village in Lake George is great. You're not likely to spend much time in the room if you're here for a vacation, so if location is your top priority, then this hotel becomes a better option for you.

This is a frustrating hotel, because it could be a great place to stay if they had people who cared about it. I would consider giving this place another chance if they underwent major renovations. You have a lot of options in Lake George. Put this hotel towards the bottom of the list.

• Liked — Location to the village; outdoor pool.
  • Disliked — Cramped up room; no room to walk around. Terrible guest service.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Johnson City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Came to do a one day hike to Tongue Mountain.
Just wanted a clean quiet place before we hiked in the morning. Room was clean/nice. Only problem.........people next door watched t.v. with the sound on high.... The Complete Night !!
We could hear them talk, go to the bathroom, and talk. We were exhausted the next morning. DO NOT STAY in the rooms near the
indoor pool if you want to sleep at night. Or, hope for older people that go to bed early.

Stayed October 2007
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

This so called resort is GROSS! My room was filthy! This hotel should be closed down due to the filth and lack of maintenance . First of all, the jet tub in our room was full of black mold. I mean every inch of grout was loaded. There were what appeared to be urine stains and filth dripping down the front and back of the bathroom door. The linens had yellowish/brown stains all over them. There were seperations between the sheetrock so large that you could stick your fingers inside! The A/C unit was hanging half way off the wall, and did not work well. We found black hairs from the previous guests around the sink. And the worst was the dead bug that was smushed onto the wall that nobody bothered to clean up.

We were so grossed out we never touched the tub/shower, and only used the sheets on the bed. The blankets were gross. Our three kids under age 10 would not even use the bathroom. We had planned to stay for three nights but left after the first and went to the Wingate up the road. Do yourself a favor...stay at the Wingate just a 1/2 mile up the road. It is brand new, clean, spacious and around the same price with breakfast included! The shuttle picks up in their parking lot every twenty minutes and drops you anywhere in the village for $1.

If you would like photos of my room experience, please email me. I will gladly send them to you. After mailing the photos to the general manager, she agreed the room was sub standard and gross and refunded our night's stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Tiki Resort? Share your experiences!