“Dissappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside On The Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
Surfside On The Lake
Ranked #39 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
ny
“Dissappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Recently stayed here and was very dissapointed. I hope that this review will save someone else from having to experience this on what should be a relaxing family vacation.
Upon arrival the room was FILTHY. The kitchenette chairs had sand all over them, the carpets were flat and appeared saturated with filth, the room (and the hallway leading to it) were stiffling hot, the fridge was off (need to turn it on w a switch and wait for it to get cold), 2 of the 4 lights in the room worked, the kitchen had no hot water, one of the two burners on the stove worked. But the most disgusting of all was the crib. The base was waterstained and dry rotted, the mattress was ripped and looked like it had been splashed with diarrhea. I would have thought that perhaps they overlooked cleaning between guests but the bathroom had the "sanitized for your protection" bands over the toilet and bathroom cups. The bathroom was beautiful.

To be fair, upon notification, the staff did replace the crib, explain the fridge, send someone to "clean" and repair the hot water & burners, but the lights were not repaired and the oven burners stopped working again almost immediatly.

They did offer us another room but explained it was identical to what we had so it was not a solution.

By contract you must pay even if you end your stay early but when I asked if they would waive that they agreed and gave is time to think about it. We decided to leave. I asked if they could do anything w the price with all that we had experienced but they advised that letting us leave early was all they could do. We only had to pay for the time we had stayed. I asked if they could pro rate the day that we had stayed until evening and not spent the night, but they could not.

As a side note, the grounds are very nice. But a lot of steps which i did ask about when booking via phone and was told that there is a way without steps, which there is, but it is around the side were all the tools and extra AC units etc are stored, also, the steps are unaovidable when getting on and off the beach and from the beach to the pool. dofficult w kids in tow.

Location is close to lake george village.

Room Tip: Inquire as to what rooms have been updated and avoid 2nd floor. Be clear as to what above the restau...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tenafly, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a Motel and as such it was OK.
It has a nice pool and a small piece of beach. However almost no sunshades.

The location is great: a walking distance from the town's main street, Shepard Park (live music on Friday's night), grocery stores, ice cream and great restaurants.

Advantages: Great location, nice pool and a small piece of beach.

Disadvantages: Expensive (for a motel), The parking was awful, rooms were not clean enough, the pool was over crowded.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are opened directly to the crowded parking lots. The rooms on the seco...
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently stayed here for a family reunion -- 16 of us in all. We had 5 rooms among us; three superior lakefront suites, one junior lakeview suite and one master suite. The superior lakefront suites were updated, clean, and comfortable (although we had trouble with one bedroom's a/c unit). The latter two were dated and the deck needed some structural attention, but clean.
We had a 'package' which included the breakfast buffet, vouchers for dinners at local restaurants (most within walking distance). The Surfside package menu at these restaurants was limited to about 5 entrees each, but a nice variety and all restaurants were good. The breakfast buffet was extensive, but we had one vegan, one vegetarian, and one recent heart patient in our group, so I wouldn't say the options were 'healthy'. Plenty of fruit and eggs, etc but none of it was organic. We went in knowing this, so this was not a disappointment, just something we had to take into account.
The package also included both vouchers and discount coupons for more activities than we could pack into our four day stay. This was a huge bonus! We rented kayaks, went putt-putt golfing, had a one-hour cruise on the steamboat around Lake George, went to Six Flags at a huge discount, and more. Most activities were within walking distance. Being at the north end of the village was perfect -- close enough to walk to restaurants and activities, but not embedded in the village.
We didn't spent a lot of time at the pool; it was really crowded and teaming with screaming kids. I would not say this is a romantic get-away for couples...
The staff were super friendly and helpful across the board.
The only downside for me is that there is no fitness center. My husband went to a local gym, which was good enough for him. Again, we knew this going in. So we had to plan accordingly. Overall, we'd stay there again with our family.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We have found our place to stay anytime we go to Lake George. This is the best place we have ever stayed at here and trust me, we have stayed in alot of them. The location is a hop, skip, and a jump from the center of town and has its own private beach. There is plenty to do at the motel alone without even venturing into town. The rates are worth what you get. You definitely get your money's worth and then some. The only complaint we have is The rooms could be a tad bit cleaner but they were not bad by any means. I am just very picky and want to be sincere. We can't wait to go back:)

• Stayed July 2013
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I were part of a bus group that were on a trip to Lake George. We arrived at our Hotel around 4 pm on a Monday and were met with a rep from the Hotel. She was very nice and welcomed us to the Hotel. We didn't have to take our luggage to the room because the hotel staff did this for us which was nice. We checked out our room and were pleased with how big and clean it was. We then took a walk around the property to check it out.We were immediately amazed by the view off their new 3000 sq ft deck, it was huge and because the weather was not great that day was closed upon our arrival but that did not stop us from enjoying the beautiful view..We were staying for 3 nights so we were excited about checking out all the amenities. We were treated to an awesome dinner at the Hamilton restaurant on site. The food was awesome as we were treated to a full buffet for breakfast and at night a full dinner. The staff was so great and attended to our wants and needs without hesitation. The staff should be commended for a job well done! The grounds of the property were clean and the pool was sparkling. We only saw one pool but I believe they actually have two.The Hotel was within a 10 minute walk to the the village of Lake George so we went there on our 2nd night.We were amazed at the cleanliness of the village and we were so surprised at all the restaurants and little shops. Of course i couldn't resist going into the stores! The rooms at this hotel are good size and had plenty of room for our needs. The bathroom could have been a little bigger but that was ok! We had a problem with our air conditioner as I had to get up during the night to see if it was working right but it really was not a big concern because the nights were cool. If we were to complain about one thing it would be the hair dryer, as the one that is supplied was not powerful enough and it took me quite a while to dry my short hair. The beds were very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows too! I didn't like the fact that they had bedspreads because I wonder how often they get cleaned but I overlooked that because I was happy with the room. I would highly recommend staying here as our visit was a memorable one. I wish I had the chance to check out their new suites because if we visit again we would most likely want to try them out!

Room Tip: We did not have a lake view room but I highly recommend that you choose one because the views are br...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My first impression was actually quite good. At check-in, the staff was very friendly and explained the package we had taken very well. They let us check in early, which was nice because we were tired from the drive and our 8 month-old was starting to fuss a bit.

Upon reaching our room, I felt a bit let down. It was tiny and the fridge that we had hoped to toss some groceries in turned out to be an itty-bitty mini-fridge that could hold maybe 6 items. That wasn't good, as we had some frozen baby food with us, so we had to keep that in the ice bucket, covered in ice (although the fridge did a have a tiny "freezer" about the size of two coke cans.

My wife noticed Cheerios on the floor and wondered out loud if the room had been cleaned. I mentioned this to the front desk and someone was sent right away to vacuum, followed by at least two people following up on it to make sure things were OK. We were even offered another room, but decided to stay put.

The room's bathroom was tiny-- the sink didn't fit in it and so was located just outside the door as part of the "bedroom". This was odd, but overall it was OK. We weren't in Lake George for the hotel room, after all. While I felt the room didn't match what I expected based on their website, it was passable.

The hotel is in a pretty good location, close to the action. It also has a "beach", but it is quite tiny. No real room for kids to run around and play, but it does give access to the water and paddle boats and kayaks are available to rent. The pool actually suited us much better.

The absolute best part, however, was the buffet. We weren't really expecting much at all, but there was a good selection and everything that we tried was quite good. Even when we had used up our breakfast vouchers, we went back again for our final day. The staff there was very good, as well.

Overall, i am not sure that I would stay there again, but it had more positives than negatives.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

ON June 24th thru June 29th 2013 My family and I stayed at the Surfside .We opted for the early summer getaway package It fitted all our needs to a tee. The pool side rooms were large clean and spacious. The food at the breakfast buffet was great.All the staff at the Surfside were polite and attentive. The package tours were awesome and the variety of dinner restaurants were delightful. We had a wonderful time and we highly recommend the Surfside in the future.
The Ulrich's. Pa

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Surfside On The Lake? Share your experiences!