“Great Location but....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Wantagh, New York
“Great Location but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I would give 2.5 stars. Our family checked in August 18. The hotel location was excellent. The room was outdated but clean. Our beds were terrible. The beach was small but also clean. If you book a room here, be sure to reserve one on the 2nd floor. We were on the ground floor and the rooms above us sounded like there were a herd of elephants above us. You can hear the water from other rooms when people turn on the shower. These are 2 things I have never experienced at another hotel before. And about the shower, the water would go hot or cold when another room would use theirs. I would not recommend eating at the Morgan, go somewhere else. The patio was spacious and clean. Overall, we felt the property was clean. There were propane grills available for guest use. The staff we encountered were courteous. Our housekeeper was efficient and nice. We rented a canoe from the hotel for 20$ for one hour. Website says no pets allowed yet we noticed 3 different families with dogs on the property. Next time we will stay further from town so we can find something of better quality.

Room Tip: Reserve a 2nd floor room, on the ground floor the room above you sounds like a herd of elephants.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
long island ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I have stayed here several times now --- it's sort of halfway between us on Long Island and my son in Plattsburgh --- we have nothing but wonderful memories and thanks for the warm, friendly, helpful staff. This week we're going for broke: our first stay in the most expensive suite - separate King size master bedroom and bath, full beautiful kitchen, dining room and living room with pull-out couch. We reserved another 2 rooms with double queens for other family members and friends.

Last summer we had 3 dbl queen rooms adjacent to each other, each with microwave and minifridge, plenty of room for extra cots and luggage, and we had the time of our lives. The last day of our trip last summer, I couldnt bear to go home; we booked a different room for an additional 2 nights and four of us stayed on :)

The pool area is immaculate, the patio area surrounding it has clean, well-maintained tables and chairs with huge umbrellas, gas barbeques for guests' use, and nightly extras (like burger night!) Just beyond the pool area is the wood gazebo at the edge of their white-sand beach looking right out on the Lake), complete with wooden picnic tables, garbage pail, hanging flowers and gas barbeque, for a more private feeling for mealtime. (We prefer eating in there!)

There are shuffle board games to be played, discounts to local attractions (like 6 Flags) in the Main Office, paddle boats, canoes and kayaks, oodles of white lounge chairs on the beachfront, a small play area for the wee ones, and of course, what I consider to be the best lake-swimming in the Village area. We aren't boaters, but you'll see lots of others staying at Marine Village who are, and their boats are moored right there at the pier beside the beach. There's the snack bar next to the pool area, the breakfast restaurant on site (we haven't availed ourselves of that, so I can't vouch for it) and everything is clean clean clean.

When we had a problem with our reservation one time, and with a parking pass another time, our complaint was met with friendliness and eagerness to please.

What's not to love... the gorgeous views of the lake and mountains, the Village shore with Fort William Henry watching over it, the fun activities, clean grounds and accomodations, friendly staff...??? Marine Village Resort = Most Valuable Resort!

We LOVE Marine Village - me and my hubbie, my 3 grown children, nephews and friends (all 20-somethings), my Mom and Dad (67), my brothers (45 and 42)... We absolutely cannot wait to get up there this Saturday!!!!!

Thank you Marine Village!

Room Tip: Check out their map of the grounds on their main website!!! It shows very clearly the way its all l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We checked in August 14th. When we opened the door the room smelt terrible! I mean terrible! The moldy, musty smell was so overwhelming even my kids were complaining about it. We were in a rush to meet friends so I called the office when we returned back around 8:30pm. (I even purchased a candle to light when we got back to mask the smell) I explained to the front desk the room smelled bad and the carpeting was actually wet! I asked to move to another room. The woman said they haven't received any complaints for smells. OK...sooo?? does that mean my room doesn't smell???? She said she would have a dehumidifer sent to the room in the morning and that she would give us a $25 breakfast credit. And told me no other rooms would be available to switch to.
Housekeeping arrives first, even she couldn't believe the smell. She starts to clean the air conditioning vent right in front of us. Then maintenance shows up with the dehumidifer. He says this happens all the time and yes it smells. I asked if they could both alert the office of this so I don't sound crazy. Housekeeping proceeds to tell me there are two vacant rooms down the way. Is that so?!!
Now we have a dehumidifer that sounds like a jumbo jet landing. Impossible to sleep! It didn't take the smell out of the room but atleast the carpet wasn't wet any longer. I guess that's one plus.
Next we go to use our $25 breakfast credit. Our bill was $11. But apparently that meant there goes my whole $25 credit. I said I still have some money left, the waiter proceeded to shake his head and say no they take it. So not really a $25 credit.
Kayaks are non existant and no idea where the so called snack bar was. The beach is so small you are on top of people. Very uncomfortable.
I guess if you want to stay right in the the heart of the action with motel type accomodations this is the place for you. I would have preferred something off the beaten path. But to each his own.
During checkout I figured I would voice some of my concerns when asked How was everything, how was your stay? But all i got was, do you have your room key? thank you.
i wasn't going to let it lay there, so I told all my complaints her reaction was, "Oh sorry about that".
Needless to say giving this motel 3 stars is generous. I would never return here.
Dont let the pictures fool you.

Waldoboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Traveled with 5 adults and toddler. Very clean rooms and helpful staff, this place is spotless. Great large patio deck, super clean pool and a sandy beach with docks. Watched fireworks from beach, walking distance to village just up the hill. Only down side is their breakfast restaurant, it is HORRIBLE. Rubber eggs, slimy scrambled eggs, burnt bacon. Avoid the on site breakfast place..too many great options like the Georgian next store or bank cafe. We will return next year.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I only gave the resort a 3 because the pictures on the internet are dated and deceiving. The room was great (2 queen) it was very clean and the housekeeping staff were outstanding. Having the restaurant for breakfast was very convenient as well and the food was okay (just okay). Our room as listed as a pool view. I took that as having a view of the pool which was not the case, but it didn't really matter much (unless I paid extra for that). The pool and the beach are MUCH SMALLER than what appears on line. The kayaks that were mentioned and showed on line were no where to be seen, and when we asked about it they were none to eager to rent them. The pool is in much need of attention. The grime on the tile on the pools inside edge could be scraped off with your fingernail and there were several missing tile. The beach needed attention as well however I understand that there was a recent bad storm which could have attributed to its appearance. It is a shame that people can't pick up after themselves and feel free to throw garbage on the ground but the numerous hotel staff should pick that up. Great family resort and there were many families. I read other comments about noise but did not experience that. You cannot beat the location it is close to everything!

Philadelphia Suburb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I made our reservations back in March after reviewing all the other comments from here and many other motels in the area. I called directly and spoke with Cathy and she assigned us a room with 2 king beds and a rollaway for me and my 4 kids. The price was better calling directly and I recommend everyone make a reservation this way. It establishes immediate contact and you can ask questions to make sure you're getting what you want. We stayed 7 nights from July 15-22
Anyway, I will say that I have never been to a place that I had zero complaints unless I paid to stay at a 5 star resort. The room was clean and cared for, mattresses and pillows the best. I don't know how anyone can complain about a ard mattress here but...
The grounds were constantly tended to by staff and the setting was to die for. Everyone I came in contact with at Marine Village obviously were proud of where they worked because they did their jobs so well.
As for towels hanging from railings and beer coolers on the beach... Towels hanging to get them dry. This is done for practical reasons and not because the guests want to be dirt balls. Adults bringing coolers of adult beverages to the beach?? So...not one person I saw got out of hand or made the atmosphere unpleasant...everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. The ability to rent kayaks,paddle boats was so convenient ad readily available. The pool area with the adjacent patio with multiple grills for guests use, wonderful!! The food store was just around the corner to bring in fixing for dinner. I saw many families taking advantage of this feature and it couldn't have been a better experience for them with the uninterrupted views of the lake, just spectacular! There were plenty of beach chaises for everyone also.
I just can't say enough about this place, it was tough to leave it because it became like home for all of us. Thank you Marine Village and forgive any omissions there are so many more comments I could make

Room Tip: Call and make a reservation with them directly. Stay away from the area behind the poolside wing. Th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

This place had so many issues that it will keep me telling the story for years to come. We booked the 2 bedroom for approx. 370 a night. It promises 2 bedrooms, turned out to be a 1 bedroom, the second was actually the common area they eliminated and added 2 more beds. It also had a kitchen, which was a microwave placed on top of a mini fridge across from the bed and a table stuck in the corner. Bathroom had 2 doors and neither had a lock. Which made it challenging to do anything in there with 3 kids who at any moment could burst in 1 of the 2 doors you weren't keeping a close eye on. The view was of a parking lot, which had a great sunset view over the maintenance garage. The front door had been broken into so many times it looked like they just gave up fixing it. I slept with one eye open all night because i felt unsafe, especially with the caliber of clientel staying here. There was actually a beer pong game in the parking lot that went on most of the afternoon. The beach area was small and I spent a mojority of my time picking up broken glass, garbage and bottle caps from the guys that had set up thier ez up tent and tailgated the day before. The remaining beach had eroded back into the lake. The onsite resturant food tasted like a saltlick and inedible. Kids eat free though, but making them eat it might be considered abuse. There are dogs everywhere, I kept looking around for an onsite kennel. Turns out people must like to have fido staying in thier rooms. This might explain the smell and questionable stains on the bed linens. I know the guy in the room behind me had a dog that liked to run and jump on the bed. I listened to it most of the morning.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Marine Village Resort? Share your experiences!