“Way Above Average!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 88 hotels in Lake George
Peterborough, New Hampshire, United States
“Way Above Average!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I travel through the Albany/ Eastern New York State area frequantly on business. This is my "Go To" place. Beautiful facility. Outstanding service. Love to sit uotside in the eveinng by the fire pit, enjoying a glass of wine and the beautiful views of the lake. Way above average Holiday Inn!!

Room Tip: Lake view suites on the third floor are amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your nice note. I am glad that we are your "go to" place. We love our firepit too. It is a great feature. We hope to see you again.

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Erwinna, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stay in Holiday Inns often, and this is hands down my favorite one so far! I drive from approx. Montreal to Philadelphia, and I always stop for the night on my way home. I usually stop at the Coxsackie exit because I love Red's Restaurant, just a couple miles down from the Coxsackie Holiday Inn. Well, last month, I just couldn't make it that far. I was exhausted and with it getting darker earlier, I stopped at Lake George.

I really wish I wrote this review sooner because I can't remember the name of the girl that checked me in. She was really pleasant. I wasn't sure about going to the hotel restaurant, and I asked her about other locations, like the BBQ place. She indicated that she worked there, too, but most places in town close by 9ish and I was better off staying there. And, she said they have a nice restaurant. They do, in fact, have a nice restaurant, and the room was awesome! It was the most value for the money I've spent at a hotel this year.

I am a Consumer Experience Coach with a background in teaching, bartending, and training. Bob, the bartender, is a customer service rock star! He made me feel at home when I got there. He learned my name right away and used it often. And, he introduced me to the local crowd. I felt comfortable chatting with Annie, a local lottery aficionado/store owner. Then, I was introduced to Bill, another business traveler. What a pleasant experience.

Only one down side, and I'll take some credit for it because I can be a bit of a pain, was when I ordered. I noticed there was chicken Oscar for $18 and a ribeye steak for like $20 something ($21?). I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to get the steak with the Oscar topping (asparagus, bernaisse, and crab meat), and I told Bob I was fine paying extra. Bob was very sweet about not making me feel like a pain, and came back to tell me that the chef would do it, but he wanted $12 extra. I ended up ordering the meal anyhow because that's really what I wanted, and I would have been ok with it if it was a $12 Oscar topping. It was not. The chef had a slightly inflated idea of what his Oscar is worth. The Bernaisse was very, very thick, not creamy and fresh. The asparagus was slightly overcooked. And, the crab meat was more like a can of claw meat than lump crab meat. He gave me a ton of it, but I would’ve taken a couple pieces of jumbo lump over that immense, clumpy bernaisse mess that ended up on my steak. Also, it looked like the mashed potatos were sitting on the plate from the time I ordered it 20 minutes earlier… they were luke warm to cold – very tastey, but buttery, so I could imagine they were wonderful when they were hot, but not so great cold. The carrots were not over-cooked, but were not very hot either. The carrots had a sweet glaze of some sort that was yummy. The steak was cooked at a perfect mid-rare.

Regardless of this minor issue with the food, this is the best Holiday Inn I’ve stayed in! I’ll definitely be back.

Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. I appreciate the time that you took, and your constructive comments. We are glad that you gave us an opportunity, and we look forward to hosting you again. Our staff is very warm and genuine, and I am glad that you felt that way.
See you again.

Michael /GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel twice for skiing at Gore Mountain. While it is about 30 minutes from the mountain it is worth the drive. Since its off season the price is very reasonable. The hotel is in great shape and the staff is amazing. I have stayed in luxury hotels all over the country (JW Marriotts, W's, Ritz, etc.) and would be hard pressed to find a friendlier, more accommodating staff at any of these higher end brands. Hats off to Michael (general manager), Karen (food and beverage manager) and Wendy (the best waitress ever!).

• Stayed December 2012
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice note. We are glad to finally have some snow at Gore and at West Mountains. Thank you for your mention of our food team. They work hard, and are a very freindly group. We look forward to your return, the snow should be around for awhile.

NYC/NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is not your average Holiday Inn! As a travel agent, I am very familiar with the usual functional Holiday Inns but this is a lot more upgraded & really very good. The hotel offers lots of extras like a supervised Kids Club & nightly kids activities too (Kelsey is awesome!), several fireplaces give it a great winter resort feel and there's even an outdoor firepit, the pool is big & I loved the outdoor jacuzzi & indoor sauna. Fitness Center is small but has the key pieces of equipment. The breakfast & dinner buffets had a great selection although desserts were not so good but quality of the food was really very good. Rooms were kept in great condition. We stayed in a 3rd floor suite which was newly renovated & the hotel's General Manager told us they do regular updating each year to keep it in great condition. Bathrooms were nice & big, we had a King 1 brm Suite that was really spacious & the kids had their own sofabed/living room with a kitchenette that included a refrigerator, microwave & sink. We loved the Keurig coffee maker & enjoyed the great quality tea & coffee. We also had two large screen tvs & my daughter was excited about the upgraded toiletries!

We had one issue with our room that could happen anywhere which meant we had to change rooms in the middle of the night & that wasn't such a problem, however, the front desk did not adequately communicate with housekeeping that we had moved in the middle of the night & they went in & cleaned our old room before we had a chance to do a final check. End result was that some of our kids toys went missing & an item of clothing that didn't make it to the new room. I was annoyed because the front desk was adequately notified by us & security not to have housekeeping go in until we had moved/checked everything out of there & they told us that they would make sure we had time to clear all our belongings. No one really seemed to care that my son's favorite toy went missing & the front desk manager, Jill, handled the situation VERY BADLY by trying to indicate that it was my fault for not communicating enough with them! Her accusative tone was really rude as though we had done something wrong!!! She made no attempt to reimburse us for the lost items or discount our room for our 'trouble' which I thought was TERRIBLE! Jessica (whom I had spoken to that morning) was present during Jill's confrontation with me (insult) and didn't bother to speak up until later & said 'yeah, sorry about the miscommunication' and that was it. No follow up to us about the lost items despite us calling them & checking directly with multiple housekeeping staff. So I think their handling of a problem was awful. However, despite this, the hotel is excellent if you are looking for a place to enjoy Lake George which is really very beautiful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor suite highly recommended & the higher room numbers have less foot traffic going past.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was very sorry to hear about your experience with the room move, and have spoken to the staff here who were involved with that move. As a Travel Agent, we appreciate your perspective, and your experience. Thank you for your comments, and I am glad to hear that despite the one issue, you really enjoyed our Resort. We hope that you will visit us again.

Diamond Point, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

As a year-round resident of Lake George, New York I normally wouldn't think of staying at a Lake George Resort. As a regular customer of TR's Restaurant and Lounge I am aware of the quality at the Holiday Inn Resort Lake George Turf. On 16 December 2012 circumstances dictated I would get a room at the Holiday Inn. Jessica at the front desk did a great job getting me situated in a room. My room was outstanding with all the amenities one could want. I totally enjoyed my overnight stay. General Manager Michael Spilman does a fantastic job. The entire staff is first class as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your very nice note. We were glad to have the opportunity to host you for an overnight stay. We appreciate your patronage and your support.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Nice and very comfy hotel, just be aware that some services are not provided when not in high season. Like outdoor SPA not used Monday to Friday, Kid's play room closed because not enough personnel when not on high season. At least that is what we were told when we wanted to use the kid's play room to spend time with my kids who are 2 and 4 and actually is one of the reasons when we had chosen this hotel.
Breakfast at the restaurant could be better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your note, and for staying with us this month. It is a quieter atmosphere during the non summer season, and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with that. Our hot tub is available during the week, but we open it upon request. The same situation applies to our children's activity room. I am very sorry that we did not communicate that to you and your family.

Please feel free to contact me directly, if you would like to join us again.

Thank you.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent a night in this hotel as it was on my route during a trip. Smooth easy check in and courteous happy staff. the room was well equipped with a fridge, microwave and HDTV (With an actual HD signal!) and memory foam mattress. The bathroom sink had spots on the front of it from an "encounter" of some sort (if you catch my drift) and the floors in the bathroom could have been cleaner. there was dust in all of the standard hard to reach/infrequently used places and power outlets are not easily accessible if you are a business traveler with many gadgets.

it seems as the town is a seasonal attraction and even the local McDonald's was closed.

Would and probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us. I will review this with our housekeeping team.
It definately slows down here in the winter. But we are here all year round, and do enjoy company during the off season.

Michael/GM

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Lake George? Share your experiences!