“Unexpectedly Great!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
NYC/NJ
“Unexpectedly Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is not your average Holiday Inn! As a travel agent, I am very familiar with the usual functional Holiday Inns but this is a lot more upgraded & really very good. The hotel offers lots of extras like a supervised Kids Club & nightly kids activities too (Kelsey is awesome!), several fireplaces give it a great winter resort feel and there's even an outdoor firepit, the pool is big & I loved the outdoor jacuzzi & indoor sauna. Fitness Center is small but has the key pieces of equipment. The breakfast & dinner buffets had a great selection although desserts were not so good but quality of the food was really very good. Rooms were kept in great condition. We stayed in a 3rd floor suite which was newly renovated & the hotel's General Manager told us they do regular updating each year to keep it in great condition. Bathrooms were nice & big, we had a King 1 brm Suite that was really spacious & the kids had their own sofabed/living room with a kitchenette that included a refrigerator, microwave & sink. We loved the Keurig coffee maker & enjoyed the great quality tea & coffee. We also had two large screen tvs & my daughter was excited about the upgraded toiletries!

We had one issue with our room that could happen anywhere which meant we had to change rooms in the middle of the night & that wasn't such a problem, however, the front desk did not adequately communicate with housekeeping that we had moved in the middle of the night & they went in & cleaned our old room before we had a chance to do a final check. End result was that some of our kids toys went missing & an item of clothing that didn't make it to the new room. I was annoyed because the front desk was adequately notified by us & security not to have housekeeping go in until we had moved/checked everything out of there & they told us that they would make sure we had time to clear all our belongings. No one really seemed to care that my son's favorite toy went missing & the front desk manager, Jill, handled the situation VERY BADLY by trying to indicate that it was my fault for not communicating enough with them! Her accusative tone was really rude as though we had done something wrong!!! She made no attempt to reimburse us for the lost items or discount our room for our 'trouble' which I thought was TERRIBLE! Jessica (whom I had spoken to that morning) was present during Jill's confrontation with me (insult) and didn't bother to speak up until later & said 'yeah, sorry about the miscommunication' and that was it. No follow up to us about the lost items despite us calling them & checking directly with multiple housekeeping staff. So I think their handling of a problem was awful. However, despite this, the hotel is excellent if you are looking for a place to enjoy Lake George which is really very beautiful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor suite highly recommended & the higher room numbers have less foot traffic going past.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was very sorry to hear about your experience with the room move, and have spoken to the staff here who were involved with that move. As a Travel Agent, we appreciate your perspective, and your experience. Thank you for your comments, and I am glad to hear that despite the one issue, you really enjoyed our Resort. We hope that you will visit us again.

Michael S./GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Diamond Point, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

As a year-round resident of Lake George, New York I normally wouldn't think of staying at a Lake George Resort. As a regular customer of TR's Restaurant and Lounge I am aware of the quality at the Holiday Inn Resort Lake George Turf. On 16 December 2012 circumstances dictated I would get a room at the Holiday Inn. Jessica at the front desk did a great job getting me situated in a room. My room was outstanding with all the amenities one could want. I totally enjoyed my overnight stay. General Manager Michael Spilman does a fantastic job. The entire staff is first class as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your very nice note. We were glad to have the opportunity to host you for an overnight stay. We appreciate your patronage and your support.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Nice and very comfy hotel, just be aware that some services are not provided when not in high season. Like outdoor SPA not used Monday to Friday, Kid's play room closed because not enough personnel when not on high season. At least that is what we were told when we wanted to use the kid's play room to spend time with my kids who are 2 and 4 and actually is one of the reasons when we had chosen this hotel.
Breakfast at the restaurant could be better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your note, and for staying with us this month. It is a quieter atmosphere during the non summer season, and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with that. Our hot tub is available during the week, but we open it upon request. The same situation applies to our children's activity room. I am very sorry that we did not communicate that to you and your family.

Please feel free to contact me directly, if you would like to join us again.

Thank you.

Michael S./GM
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent a night in this hotel as it was on my route during a trip. Smooth easy check in and courteous happy staff. the room was well equipped with a fridge, microwave and HDTV (With an actual HD signal!) and memory foam mattress. The bathroom sink had spots on the front of it from an "encounter" of some sort (if you catch my drift) and the floors in the bathroom could have been cleaner. there was dust in all of the standard hard to reach/infrequently used places and power outlets are not easily accessible if you are a business traveler with many gadgets.

it seems as the town is a seasonal attraction and even the local McDonald's was closed.

Would and probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us. I will review this with our housekeeping team.
It definately slows down here in the winter. But we are here all year round, and do enjoy company during the off season.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visit this Holiday Inn resort twice per year, every year - once in the summer and once in the winter. I've stayed at many places in the Lake George area and this place is my favorite. It is simply fantastic. First, it's much more robust than a traditional Holiday Inn - this is a true resort. Tons of amenities and a friendly, helpful staff. I've looked at other resorts in the area and this is the best.

During the winter we enjoy the indoor pool. hot tub, gameroom and loads of kids' activities. We spend the week between Christmas and New Years' here and we love watching the NYE fireworks over the lake from our room balcony. They usually offer face paitning, balloon-makers, etc. for the kids that week. In the summer the outdoor pool and grounds are beautiful.

The location is perfect - it's right on the strip and within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: We usually stay in a suite which easily fits a family of 5. If you're staying there for a few da...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the kind words. We ar getting ready for NYE weekend again, and will be once again catering to families. We have some new events to go along with Joey D. the balloon artist and John and his magic show for this year. We hope to see you again.

Kingston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Girls weekend - I thought I had reserved a 2 room suite - come to find out I had reserved a 2 bedroom suite - it was HUGE - seriously, bigger than some NYC apartments - I actually went back down to the front desk just to make sure that they had the right room - they did...2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, full kitchen (without a range) with breakfast bar, giant living room and very large balcony that ran from the living room to the bedroom - all this for only $204/night!!! I can't imagine what it runs for in full season but it was a heck of a deal. The staff were all very nice (especially when I locked myself out of the room within 5 minutes of being there); all the common areas were clean and comfortable; the pool area was very large, however, we didn't get to experience it. There was a teenaged birthday party going on - not conducive to relaxation for us old folks. Am not a big fan of the pillows but that's because I'm used to mine and should have brought it with me. But it was very quiet in the hotel. The shower was full strength and they have bath and body works products which I love.

Don't eat at the restaurant - see my tripadisor review. They do roll up the streets in LG after summer and before the winter sports season kicks in but the resort really had all we needed. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. That is a very nice suite, and I am glad that you enjoyed it. We are alive and well all year long, however things do slow down in the village between seasons.
I will look for your other review of our Dining Room. We hope to see you again.

Montreal, Quebec (CANADA)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When we first arrived we were given a DISGUSTING room on the ground floor. It was covered in shad flies all over the wall and ceiling. We called the front desk right away and the manager insisted there were no other rooms (and my husband is a platinum member). The manager told us he would call around to see if there was another hotel for us. We were on a family trip as my mom had passed away and we planned this trip as a tribute to my mom and my brothers and I came from three different cities.

After much arguing the manager found us another room and it was clean. Once we changed rooms our experience was very pleasant. The new room was very nice and the restaurant food is very good.

The location is good as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your note, and for staying with us. After a tough start, I am glad to hear that you had a good visit. We hope that you will consider coming back to Lake George next summer.

Michael/GM

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Lake George? Share your experiences!