“If you are looking for a no frills place to stay, this is it.” 3 of 5 stars

Gentleman Johnny's Motel
3057 Lake Shore Drive, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Ranked #54 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Northern New York
“If you are looking for a no frills place to stay, this is it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We wanted to get away for a few days without dropping a load of money. There was no way I was going to spend hundreds of dollars on a crappy hotel room just because it is in Lake George. After doing some investigating on Tripadvisor, I called Gentleman Johnny's to see if they had availability for that weekend. They did, the price was right, and the lady seemed very nice on the phone so I went ahead and booked it.
When we arrived and checked in, we were satisfied with the accommodations for the price that we were paying. We weren't expecting much for $70 per night and were really just looking for a clean, comfortable place to sleep at night. That's almost what we got. We happened to be staying in the area during their one heatwave of the year. The air conditioner in the room was so old and loud that each time the compressor kicked on, the lights dimmed tremendously and when we tried to sleep, it woke us all up every ten minutes. After two nights of getting absolutely no sleep, we were too exhausted to stay any longer so we left without extending our stay even though we had been prepared to stay an additional couple of days.
The room had a tv, but most of the channels came in fuzzy and it was very hard to hear over the a/c. They advertise wifi, but it is only available at the office area which is not very convenient
The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. There were no towels in the room so I had to go and ask for them. I was handed two towels (for three people), no hand towels, no bathmat, and no washcloths. We had to dry off in the tiny shower so we wouldn't get the floor soaking wet. From the condition of the floor, others haven't been as considerate. Really, not providing a bathmat is a false economy as it must cost much more to replace the floor so often. Also, no soap. This was more of an inconvenience than anything else as I would have brought my own if I had known. Instead, I had to go to the store just to buy soap for us to wash our hands.
The rooms were not very secure. The doors had a deadbolt, but it could only be used from the inside as no key was provided. The key for the room was for the door knob button type lock on the door. The area seemed pretty safe and they were definitely keeping an eye on the place so I felt okay leaving our valuables in the room, really.
The pool was old but maintained pretty well, as was the rest of the property. It was pretty quiet when we were there, and if the a/c was newer and quieter, they provided just a couple of amenities like bathmats and soap and we didn't feel like we had to beg for towels, we would probably stay there again.
Next time, I'll pay more for a little extra comfort. Our vacation was definitely marred by our lack of a good night's sleep due to the extremely loud a/c.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I have visited Lake George for over 20yrs and stayed at Hill of Happiness for 18yrs until the owners retired. I stayed at Gentleman Johnnys under the old management and found it pleasant and when the new owners took over and started renovating the rooms, I new my stay would leave a lasting empression. Nancy and her staff are friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and being a bit OCD with cleanliness, the bathroom was notably clean. The motel is surrounded by trees/woods, so it goes without saying that you will find some, not many, spiders, ants and those little critters, chipmunks. However in the two years that I have stayed at GJ I have never had spiders or ants in my room, but have seen the little outside critters. So it you have a phobia about spiders, ants and critters....then GJ is not for you. You will miss a wonderful experience. GJ is 1 mile from the Village and if you don't want to walk, then take the trolley, it passes by GJ. The kids would love that. Nancy see you in July 2009, my reservations are already made.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Philadelphia,Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

I made my reservations on line about 10 days ahead of time and paid by Master Card.Two days before we were supposed to leave I got food poisoning.If you ever had it you know you cant travel,so I called to cancel my reservations(In there online ad,there was no note about cancellation rules). I was told you have to cancel 15 days before your date,which meant when I made the reservations I was already 5 days late to cancel.I was told if I got a note from my Doctor they would refund my money.The note was Faxed to them and their reply was that they would only charge me for 1 day and I could use that money on a future date.This was a one time trip so I guess I got the old shaft.They will never be a good recommendation from me.Good luck speaking to the personal there as they speak very broken English.

Stayed July 2008
akarageozian, Owner at Gentleman Johnny's Motel, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
Our website clearly states our cancelation policy. We are not obligated to refund any money back. We were courteous enough to offer diffrent night to stay. We understand unexpected emergencies occur, that’s why we are willing to work with you but, our policy is clear on cancelations.
fort myers fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and myself along with my sister in law and her husband and 2 kids decided to go to Lake George this yr. A friend of my recommended Gentleman Johnnys . We called and booked 2 rooms we stayed in number 15 a queen size bed and my sister in law stayed in num 9 two double beds. The rooms were clean, simple and very comfortable. We had chairs outside the rooms and enjoyed the nights sitting out front. The pool was clean and taken care of (water was cold I'm from Florida). Everymorning we went for breakfast in the breakfast room which consisted of bagles coffee tea toast butter cream cheese , jelly and cheese. This was fine for all of us since this is what we eat every morning. Nancy the owner was great and very friendly. We had a great time and the next time we go will stay there again. Price was right and again very clean and comfortable. Lake George itself was very busy. The fireworks on Thurs and Sat during the summer was good, parking down town was not bad. Just make sure you have change. Make sure you take the ride up to Prospect Mountain. You get a great look at the lake and surrounding area and a little history as well.

• Liked — close to town but far enough away so you didnt have the hussle and bussle
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Norton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

We just returned home from our trip to Lake George, NY. I wanted to write the review while the info is fresh. We booked Gentleman Johnnys Motel due to the trip advisor recommendations and the price. For 75 dollars a night, you really cant go wrong. This was our first trip to the area so we had nothing to gage our decision with. We stayed in room 17, which is in a building with 1 other room next door. There are maybe 4 buildings with only 2 units in each, then there is a longer building more like a motel. I believe in those units there are 2 double beds. In ours....we had 1 queen...which we requested. We were glad to be in our little building. Much less activity going in and out. The continental breakfast was bagels, toast, cream cheese and coffee. Fine with us.(remember...the price was 75 dollars.)
The people behind the desk were helpful and the room was simple, but clean. I looked hard to find something bad about the bathroom and there was nothing. Very clean and thats what I needed to see. There is a trolley stop at the end of the
driveway. Trust me...take the trolley. We attempted to park in the down town area and recieved a 75 dollar ticket for apparently parking in a handicapped spot(unmarked.) Lake George apparantely hires walk a cops to write as many tickets as they can and believe me they do. After seeing all the hotels in the actual downtown area, I was glad to be staying slighly off the beaten path as it looked like way too much going on there.
I would not say you could walk downtown from this location.
It might be 1 mile...but not a really good walk. Take the trolley.
The only thing that we might have liked is if the hotel was on the lake side. This is on the other side of the road. Other than that, for the money, we were happy to have this little place to come back to. The pool, which I never usually go into but did, was clean.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — Wished it was on the lake side.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
ithaca, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

Excellent motel. Low price, clean and a short walk to downtown. My friend and I enjoyed our stay at this family-owned motel. The rooms were clean and the staff very helpful. I'd stay at Gentleman Johnny's again anytime.

• Liked — Clean rooms and helpful staff. wireless internet in the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sprinfield, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

I recently attended the Adirondack Balloon Festival and chose this location specifically for its low price; although it was 13 miles from the Festival. I was traveling alone and just needed 'a place to sleep'. I was very pleasently surprised to find the accomodations were in excellent condition. I found the motel to be older but very well maintained. It is certainly on a par or better than say, a red roof inn or a motel 6; basic but pleasant and more reasonably priced. I have spent over 30 years as a "road warrior" and have stayed in all sorts of places at all sorts of prices from the east coast to the west coast. Gentleman Johnny's is a rare find. A decent room at a good price with very pleasent owners.
I attend the Balloon Festival annually and now plan to stay here annually.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Gentleman Johnny's Motel? Share your experiences!