“Nice rooms, great location, but customer service lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Warsaw, Indiana, United States
“Nice rooms, great location, but customer service lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I read all of the TripAdvisor reviews before booking this hotel, so I went in with the knowledge that this place is not known for it's customer service, but held out high hopes anyway. The rooms were large (though I do prefer the Comfort Suites that actually have a separate living room where you can close the door to this, which was more like one large open room) and clean, and had all of the things you'd expect in a standard hotel room. The wi-fi worked beautifully, there was a decent sized tv in the room, and the mini-frig was perfect for storing the food from our cooler. The shower was warm and the bathroom was very large, which was really nice when getting ready.

I will say that the staff at the checkout desk seemed professional and welcoming when we were checking in and out, but it was a different story at breakfast, as many have noted. The first 2 days we were there, the hotel was definitely not at capacity, so we were able to get in and eat with no trouble. When I made the lady working the breakfast aware of the fact that they were out of eggs, she seemed a bit snippy, but did take care of it promptly. However, the last day we were there, they refused to let us into the dining area when we came down and asked us to wait until they had a table available. We were in a hurry, and asked if we could simply get our breakfast and take it back with us to the room, and they still refused to let us in. We didn't have to wait long (it was only a couple of minutes), but it was crazily crowded in the dining area when we came in. It's a good thing we did decide to take a table, because half of the items on the buffet were out when we got in there. I let the lady who sat us know about this, and she asked me to "be patient". We grabbed what we could and sat down, and over the next 10 minutes, we saw various items we were waiting for re-stocked, and went up and grabbed them while we could. The breakfast spread (when fully stocked) included belgian waffles, eggs, sausage or bacon (varies daily), mini danish, mini muffins, mini donuts, bread, english muffins, 3 cereals, apples, milk, orange & apple juice, and coffee, for those that are interested.

One other item of note. Customer service is very important to me. While I would not say we encountered a tremendous problem ourselves, I did notice on Saturday night when we were coming in that there was a large group of what appeared to be multiple families trying to check in and encountering quite a bit of resistance from the front desk. I had read about the experiences other travelers had regarding the number of people in the room, and this appeared to be the problem for these people as well. What I overheard of the conversation included a gentleman asking "They sleep 5 people right?" and the front desk manager responding with "I just can't do it." as he leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed. I heard another gentleman offer to let one of the children in the group stay in their room instead, but the front desk manager didn't seem pleased with that option either. I can't provide any more details than that, as we were witnessing this while we waited for the elevator, and the doors opened after that, but I definitely felt that the front desk manager was being un-necessarily rude to these people... he was doing his best to work against them rather than with them, from what I saw. I just want to be sure I'm painting an accurate picture here, since this would concern me in terms of being able to recommend this hotel to anybody in the future. I'd be horrified if anybody I knew stayed here and encountered that kind of treatment. I guess the other reviews are right on the money here... make sure you reserve your room for the appropriate number of people if you don't want to run into serious problems.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

As always had a great time! Stayed 1 night for relaxation and a little shopping. Rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast had a little of everything. Pool was fun but the hot tub had a lot of chlorine in it. Staff was friendly and very helpful as usually. The only place I stay when I go to Lake George!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Moira, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a wonderful stay! My son, age 5, loved the slide and the water tree. My husband, WAY older than 5, enjoyed the hot tub, and the pool water was warm enough for all of us! Our son also loved the game room!

The room was large, clean, quiet and comfortable. We had a king suite with a sleeper sofa. The pillows were on the small side, but we had a lot of them. The king bed was quite comfortable, but the sofa bed wasn't anything to write home about.

The breakfast was pretty typical for a free spread: waffles, fruit, eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt, toast and pastries. It was good enough to meet our needs.

The location is great. The hotel is close to the interstate, outlet mall and Great Escape, but far enough out of the village to avoid the congestion and heavy traffic). We were also just a few minutes from a number of chain and local restaurants.

The owners, who worked the front desk the day we checked out, were friendly and professional, as was the breakfast staff and cleaning staff. But the two women working the front desk when we checked in went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. They were patient with and kind to our son, and they were quite social.

We'll definitely go back to this hotel next time we're in town.

• Stayed April 2013
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Took the family overnight to break up week long school break.Saw the pictures of the pool area which convinced me to choose this hotel and it did not disapoint.First let me say-I DID NOT SEE ANY OF THIS SPYING OR BEING HARRASSED SITUATION at all. My kids were literally in the pool for 2 days straight and never were told to keep quiet or calm down etc etc.The slide is great for kids-4-12.the pool is large and they have a hot tub.Breakfast was a little below par-but it did the job for free. Swamped between 9-9.30 free newspaper,larger than avg bathroom,towels handed out for the pool,working elevators,clean--whats not to like $89 AAA rate. Close to everything.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'm a pretty tolerant person, and I don't like to write negative reviews, but I have to say this hotel crosses the line in my opinion. There is absolutely no privacy. Which is a shame because the hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms are modern and clean, and the indoor pool with a small water slide and hot tub is nice. The problem is with the twin brothers that run the place. They watch everything you do on video camera. And I am not joking. If you're in the pool, they're watching you, and it's almost guaranteed someone will come and yell at your kids for running or splashing or talking too loud or going down the slide the wrong way, or whatever. (There's so many rules, they might as well make a no swimming rule) If you're in the breakfast area, they're watching you, and before you're even done they'll be rushing you out. (And by the way breakfast is mobbed and chaotic, and really not that good) If you're in the lobby, they're watching you. (There's a fine line between being friendly and being nosy) I have a travel guitar (admittedly, the case is a bit odd shaped) that I was bringing in from the car, and one of the brothers at the front desk stopped me and asked me what it was. (Really you need to see my luggage?) We once tried to go out the back door since our car was parked in the back of the hotel and we had a lot of bags to carry, and one of the brothers came running over and asked why we were going out that door. Cameras are everywhere. My wife asked for some extra pillows, and the person who delivered them (noticeably) stuck their head in the room and looked around as if to see how many people we had in there, and what we were up to. There's probably more, but these are the specific things I could think of. If you think I'm the only person who feels this way, check some of the other reviews. If you value your privacy on vacation, good luck. It's creepy. You have been warned.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tannersville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is amazing. The staff is friendly, rooms are very clean and the pool area is incredible. Close to outlets and minutes away from the village of Lake George. Took my family here for a weekend getaway and I couldn't get my daughter away from the pool. Before we left we were already planning our next trip this summer and I can guarantee it will start with a reservation to this hotel.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Perfect stay for a girls weekend with a 5 & 6 years olds and three adults. The service was great, fast and effective. The front desk staff was amazing, Michael, pointed me to my party already swimming in the pool. I called a day before the trip and asked to add the other parties names onto the reservation, they simply made the change with no questions.

I would suggest this hotel for anyone. The hotel is newer and the lobby was decorated nicely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Lake George? Share your experiences!