“We enjoyed lake george.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Village Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
Alpine Village Resort
You added Alpine Village Resort to your Saves list
Route 9N, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Ranked #56 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
New York City, New York
“We enjoyed lake george.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

First time at Alpine Village, after reading the prior reviews wanted to experience it for myself along with family members. We enjoyed Lake George very much, the property is large and has a lot of potential. All the cabins my family and I stayed at neither of them had a living room. Everyone had to hang out on someone's bed. The cleaning situation could have been better, so we were prepared with wipes and air fresheners. Ernie seems like he tries his best to make everyone happy. The rooms carpet seem as if it had not been vacuumed ever. I found empty bottles and debris under one of my kids bed. Which means they never vacuumed before we got there.. It is a very rustic place and although I will never stay there again, overall we had a great time and made the best of it. The pool needed repair and the mosquitos in the area needed immediate attention. The water pressure in the shower was so bad I almost got burned with the hot water not being balanced. We were there for Hurricane Irene, the main lodge had a generator but none of the cabins had electricity for 18 hours. They say no pets allowed but they have their own dog running around the property. The only good thing about this place is their main lodge breakfast it was awesome and reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
MANCHESTER, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I'll start on a positive note. The grounds and scenery are fantastic, but that is about where it stops.

We were fortunate to have caught Ernie (the owner) in the office when we arrived to check-in, otherwise we would have waited quite some time to be attended to. The "ring bell for service" sign didn't seem to be too effective the remainder of our stay. We were asked to pay in full upon arrival. I have never encountered that at a hotel and have traveled to many, many places all across the country and in other countries. We were allowed to use a credit card to pay (however it was only half our bill, the other half had been sent via check prior to our arrival to "secure our reservation"). And we were informed about how they get charged a $0.25 fee for every credit transaction, almost as if we were being scolded for asking use a debit card.

We received a standard key to enter the room (no swipe, no problem there), however without the help of the guest staying in the room next to us, we would never have been able to lock our cabin door.

The rooms (or at least ours) needed a serious facelift. Which I found ironic considering when we checked in, the owner told us that it was "one of the nicest rooms". The carpets were dirty looking and consistently damp. I refused to walk around the room without flip flops or slippers. The bedding was old in style (but that is to be expected for the log-cabin atmosphere). The sheets were clean, but the mattress was hard, creeky and the pillows were flat as could be. There is no actual closet, just a shelf with a hanging pole. The window treatments were stained in spots and yellowed (I imagine at one point they were off-white). The windows themselves were in desperate need of cleaning... there was actually a quite large, dead spider encrusted on the window. The towels in the bathroom were thin and occassionally stained, I ended up using an extra beach towel I had brought with me. The shower curtain needed to be washed and stuck to you when you showered (so gross)-- I couldn't wait to shower when I got home!!

The room rates were inexpensive for the area, now I understand why. I think if they replaced the carpets, window treatments and shower curtains and got a better cleaning staff; they could double their rates and be full year round. The concept of the "log cabin" style is perfect for the area and the location and scenery are wonderful, but more attention must be paid to the interior of the rooms!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Southwick, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Check in at three...NO. The elderly woman owner kept putting us off saying it was being cleaned. Forty-five minutes after the check-in time I inquired again..this time with the cleaning ladies. They said it was ready. Went to get a key from office and again had the not-so-nice owner say she did not have a key..but finally found one. There were ants and sesame seeds/crumbs on the table in kitchen. Carpenter ants in bathroom as well. After a couple nights I SAW a mouse run across the room under the bed I was sleeping in. The next night a smaller baby mouse actually jumped out of my luggage bag. Mouse droppings were on my clothes and all over the kitchen upon waking up. I brought a shirt covered in mouse droppings into the office and asked if there were any mouse free rooms. I was yelled at and told by the woman "this is the Adirondacks and they are all over my house when I return from Florida". I also mentioned ants. She she, "what do you want Earnie to do, spray?" I said spray what, and was yelled at again. I said I have children and don't want toxins on top of everything else. I was actually blamed for "bringing food into the place" . Go figure, it has a kitchen. Next day, I noticed 3 rotten oranges left behind from previous people on top of a cabinet. Everyone I spoke to agreed that their place was dirty too.

Since we brought our boat, we were thankfully out on the lake all day and not so much in the room..At times, sitting on the deck of our building, we could smell sewage! They really need to get people in there to update and make this a more pleasant stay.

Towels actually ripped they were so paper thin. It does have potential for being a great resort since the location is excellent. Earnie was quite helpful, as he fixed a running faucet in the kitchen and a leaking pipe. Stay away if you want clean rooms that are rodent free!

Hampton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We just got back from staying at Lake George for several days. We stayed at the Alpine Lodge. This was our second year in a row staying at the same place and the same room! We stayed in the lodge. Here are some details:

The room: We had a room upstairs in the lodge. It has two adjoining rooms and two separate baths. The rooms were spacious enough. One room had a double bed. The other room had two singles. We also had two closets, two TVs, and a refrigerator. The room has window air conditioners. The room was clean enough for a rustic log cabin. Met my expecations fine. The beds were slightly uncomfortable due to the cheap grade matresses. The pillows were also flimsy - bring your own! The windows did not offer much of a view. The bathrooms were small and cramped. The master bath door does not close shut, which was a problem last year too. There is no lock on that door.

The lodge - Very nice, roomy, old lodge! Stuffed animals are all over the walls. Nice, huge fireplace in the middle of the room. Nice, cozy sofas and arm chairs inside to relax in while waiting for the wife. Big, wooden tables to sit at to do crafts, write letters, etc. The nicest part of the indoors!

Views - My favorite spot for a great view is sitting on the front porch in one of the Airondack chairs. I put my feet up on the huge log rail and just relax! A close second is at the hotel's small, private beach. Perfect view for Thursday's fireworks show!

Beach - A nice, small beach. Great place for the children to play in the sand for hours on end. Completely safe. Great access to the lake. Hotel allows use of their row boats, canoe, and kyak (deposit required). Swimming in the lake is utopia! Beautiful! And, safer than other beaches.

Pool - A great pool for the kiddies to splash around in. Water is only 4 feet deep, but that is fine. Solar heated. Nice fenced in pool area to mingle with other guests and rest on the lounge chairs.

Hotel staff - This is a family owned and run hotel. Ernie and Lillian run the hotel with their son. They are all generally nice people, but seem to be overly concerned about money. Whenever I spoke to them about something, money always came up: "Can I sign out the row boat?" "There is a $20 deposit required." "Do you serve breakfast here?" "We sure do! One of the best values in Lake George. Cheaper than most of the other places." "If I rent a boat, can I dock it here?" "There is a $25 fee per night" Ernie always seems to be willing to get into a conversation. Lillian seems to be more stricktly business. Also, my wife and I discussed making plans to come back in the fall. She asked Ernie about the rates for a certain week in Oct. and he quoted $59/night. The next day, I asked Lillian and she quoted me $79 for the same room! (We quickly changed our minds about coming in the autumn). I think they should post a rate schedule and stick to it.... The waitresses are very nice and so are the cleaning people and the owner's son, Kevin.

Amenities - The hotel met my expectations here! Lots of fun things to do - ping pong, pool tables, volleyball, bad minton, boating, basketball, video games. They do have wireless internet. They have a laundry room in the basement. They charge $0.25 for a bucket of ice. There is a large enough parking lot, but sometimes you have to hunt down a spot.

Cleanliness - It is certainly clean enough. There were not any bugs or layers of dust on anything. Everything looked neat and tidy. No smell or odors. The grounds are always impeccable!

washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We just returned last night from a long weekend at the Alpine Village (8/13-8/15) and are planning to return next year!

I read the reviews on here before we left for our trip and some of the negative ones really had me nervous. When I got there and experienced it for myself i knew that i wanted to write a review and describe our visit once i got home.

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I decided last minute to go to Lake George during the busiest time of the year. Alpine Village is sold out from May through mid October. We called them based on a recommendation we received. They had a cancellation that was just received so we were able to snatch up that cabin.

Lillian was the person my husband dealt with to make the reservation and she was quite pleasant. Despite some negative comments here, she was very nice to us the entire weekend.

Our room was sufficient. It had a queen bed, chair, desk, decent size mini fridge, dresser and fireplace. A window AC unit and bathroom with shower/tub, sink and toilet.
The rug was stained, but the room overall was what i expected for a lakeside cabin. It was confortable and provided what we needed. Btw, i didn't see any bugs, rodents or anything else that wasn't supposed to be in our room!

We had a covered porch that was shared with the family in the attached cabin. We had plenty of room to sit there and have wine and enjoy the scenery.

Alpine VIllage is ideally located. It is about a mile to downtown LG and right on the beach! we had our own sandy beach with very comfortable resort like beach chaise lounges. We had access to a dock, several row boats, canoes and kayaks were at our disposal. My daughter fished off the dock and row boat and caught her first fish. She was thrilled!

There is a nice swimming pool with tables and chairs surrounding it as well as a covered picnic area and several grills for cooking out. There was also a swing set.

The main Great Room offered a wonderful breakfast for the best price anywhere with a full view of the lake. There were plenty of chairs on the main building deck where we could take cover from the sun or rain and still enjoy the beautiful scenery and spend time with the other families. There was a ping pong table and it was in constant use.

The grounds were impeccably maintained and made a very good first impression. There was not a single piece of trash anywhere on the property! The owners work hard all day and obviously take great pride in their property.

The only thing that i didn't like was that they could use more games, maybe horseshoes and another ping pong table - the one they had seemed to be monopolized by one family the entire weekend. I also wish that there was a small store in the great room, just big enough to sell some snacks/sweets maybe a bottle of wine. But there was a general store right up the road and like i said the village was only a mile away.

If you are looking for more amenities or more hotel like accomodations, this may not be the best option for you. But our weekend there was reminiscent of old time family vacations in the mountains. Very relaxing, fresh air, long days outside and plenty of kids for playmates.

We plan to go back next August, this time for a few more days!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the hill or closer to the lake, not behind the parking lot. main house blocked vie...
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We just got back from a week at Alpine Village Resort, and won't be returning next year. The accommodations were ok ... I wish I had know that a two bedroom unit with a kitchen wouldn't have a tv room. It weird to walk in the room directly into a bedroom, and have the kitchen attached to it, with no door or separation. If we wanted to watch tv with our family, we had no choice but to all lay in bed.

Our room was pretty clean, but the AC is only in one bedroom (our kids room) and is a wall AC, so we sweated in our room while the kids froze in theirs.

Our big problem was actually the other guests. We were in building H which contains 4 units (2 upstairs, 2 down). You all share the front porch, and enter through the same door. We were unfortunately there while 2 rooms were being used by one huge family that took over the front porch, and stayed outside drinking, yelling, cursing and fighting until 3am. We complained to the owners, but I don't know if they did anything about it, because it didn't make a bit of difference. My husband and I were woken up an average of 3 times a night. And having 2 young kids didn't make this a fun vacation. I thought it would be a family friendly place, but drunk belligerent guests does not scream "family vacation" to me.

The beach area was small ... and always packed. We ended up going to the public beach. The towels were terrible, and the showers were the worst I've ever used. No water pressure. Also, as someone else said, the rooms were smoke free, but I smelled smoke a lot.

Also, parking was terrible. Sometimes there were just no spots left.

I think our experience was tarnished by the other guests, but I wouldn't stay here again because of that. And I wouldn't recommend it. I also don't understand how someone can take cash only, and have no money on hand to give change. I gave the owner $850 when my balance was 825$ and she couldn't figure out how much change to give me. She actually said "Ok, so I don't owe you any change, right?" I'm thinking that they could use someone slightly more business savvy in the office.

Wharton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a very nice time. The cabin was small, but we knew that going in. It was rustic but by no means was it dirty. Just be sure you confirm your reservation and have them send you confirmation by mail. Their reservation system is antiquated and you can get lost in the shuffle very easily. I think most of the resorts here are the same, though. We luckily had no problems and the view, lake and pool were fantastic. The breakfast was the most affordable and best meals we had while we were at the Lake! It was a very relaxing week :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Alpine Village Resort? Share your experiences!