“Inexpensive photorealism” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Yonkers, New York
“Inexpensive photorealism”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

If you ever wanted to jump inside a Ed Ruscha or Ralph Goings composition, sit in the pool at the Motel Montreal on a warm summer day. Despite being a weathered 50+ year old motel, it's still sufficiently appointed, but oozes mid-century charm. Steps away from a public strip of Lake George (literally 15 yards wide, but lets you swim well into the lake, unlike other over-crowded, over-regulated parts of the lake).

Affordable, pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We prefer the bank of rooms closer to the lake.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brainardsville, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The motel was small but clean.Pool was very clean. Would stay there again.Beds could be more comfortable,but otherwise a nice place.The motel is also in walking distance to downtown Lake George, and close to the beach and other activities.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

For anyone who has stayed along the main road in Lake George, you know there are many places to stay. Most are family owned hotel/motels.

The Motel Montreal is just that. A family owned motel at the northern end of the main road.

We were warmly welcomed upon arrival and our checkin was flawless.

The room was very clean, but dated, which is actually what we expect at Lake George. Most motels are older.

The location was ideal for walking to all of the restaurants and shops but far north enough to not be in the thick of the traffic.

The pool was amazing and there were BBQ grill for cooking. Parking was also very convenient.

Room Tip: Room 40 was ideal for us but it gets afternoon sun so if you like to sit outside in the afternoon, s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I written reviews before about the hotel Montreal and of course my experience have always been a satisfying and positive experience. I like to share something that is very close to my heart about the extraordinary people who own that hotel, Rob and Alicia and her baby boys.
Last summer I spoke with Rob about coming up to Lake George with my terminally ill sister. She always wanted to see Lake George and we both knew that she had very little time left while her cancer was spreading. I took her and her 85-year-old girlfriend up on a holiday weekend to enjoy her dream of being in Lake George with her brother. Rob and his wife the owners were able to rearrange things at a holiday weekend and get a room for my sister and her lady friend and a room next-door for myself as well as rearranging things in case her children showed up at this difficult time .
I can't say enough about the treatment that Rob had bestowed upon us. He did everything from Tell us the time and place of the mass and the church she wanted to go to, directions to the healing springs that my sister and her friend wanted to see in Saratoga. He even went as far as calling a service to come and pick up my sister and her friend to drive them around Lake George so she wouldn't have to walk. I recall times when my sister was napping and talking to Rob so heavy hearted for comfort. The most touching part of this experience occurred when I secretly came in to pay the bill! My sister had a great sense of dignity and would NEVER let me pay!
Well after sharing some of his personal experiences with this sort of issue, he in informed me that my sisters room was on his wife and him! No charge! We debated it for a while until he told me that it was an honor to have been involved in such a memorable experience!
With that said I want to tell you about this property. Sure, it is not the Hilton & neither is the price! You get a nice room, great pool, free parking to avoid fines, it’s a short walk to town, and the owners are on the property and are always willing to accommodate you.
I cannot believe some of the negative reviews I have read! Rob is a fair and decent man. He is a very nice person to do business with and is patient and kind.
I would like to say in closing that the Hotel Montreal will always be in my heart and the memories of my stay with my sister who passed away two weeks after we came home are a treasure that will forever !
This is a place where you get MORE then you pay for! Just don’t forget the pastry!
Peter Vitale

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are the best!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ravena, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I went to Lake George for our 10th anniversary which is the first time in years we have left our house overnight without the children. Not having reservations anywhere we decided to wing it. after turning down several overpriced rooms we decided to go to the Motel Montreal wince my wife used to stay there with her family many years ago. Rob an his wife were incredibly nice more than accommodating and even made special arrangements for us when they found out it was our 10th anniversary. The motel is also nicely placed close enough to the main strip in LG so we could walk after enjoying a few beverages without needing to pay for a cab but also not right in the middle of everything so you have to deal with a mass of people outside your door.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeremy,

Thank you for making the Motel Montreal and Lake George part of your anniversary celebration. The personal side of the business (i.e. getting to know our guests) is the best part of owning the hotel. We hope that you had a great summer and we hope to see you in 2015!

All the best,

Rob Gregor and family
Jamaica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Decided on a little b'day getaway which falls a few days after July 4th. It's a tough time to book period between prices & almost everyone & their mothers are looking to do the same... Found this place through Trip Advisor while researching places to stay in Lake George. The location was great, the rooms affordable & they all came with fridge & micro. That's a big plus!
I originlly booked online through what I thought to be the motels own website. I didn't realize that I booked through a booking agency until my confirmation came thru. I ended up calling the motel directly & rebooked with the owner Rob. I would recommend doing this to save some money. Rob was very helpful right from the get go so I felt great about my choice of places to stay!
Then it got even better...
I originally requested a Queen bed in a quiet area (if possible)... something away from the action & noise. Rob told me he had a perfect room for me. Fast forward to about one week before my stay... Got a call from Rob asking if it would be ok if he moved me from the room to one of the 2 bedroom apts. He said it would be helpful to him because he had a past guest that called kinda last minute & was requesting the room he originally put me in. He said the only thing was that the rooms only had double beds not Queens. Other than that; full kitchen, dining room, living room & basically a brand new beautiful bathroom plus a partial view of the lake. Oh... and it was on the top floor... very out of the way... And I was doing him a favor! Gotta love it...
Anyway, the apartment was very sizeable & comfy! It could sleep 6-8 people. I was a party of 2! The only slight, very slight thing mildly on the downside is that the beds could probably use an upgrade. I think they may be a little on the old side. Kinda springy. But I still slept pretty good anyhow! Other than that, JACKPOT!
What I especially like a lot about this place is that it is a family business & you can really tell Rob is a hands on owner who will really go the extra mile to make his guests feel welcome! My impression was that if there was something you were in need of, just ask. That is a jackpot in itself... very rare to get that kind of feeling in a chain place where the staff is always changing.

• Stayed July 2014
Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am very glad that it all worked out and that you enjoyed your stay and time in Lake George. We take a lot of pride in the hotel and in the area and we are always happy to give insight into each. We hope that you had a great remainder of the summer and we hope to see you in 2015!

All the best,

Rob Gregor
Weston, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

What a nasty place. We booked online for 4th of July weekend not sure what to expect. We started planning late and our options were few. We learned our lesson. We arrived at night on July 3rd to find a room that had mud dragged through the room onto the carpeting (perhaps housekeeping did that?), hair on the sheets in both beds (did they even replace the sheets?), and a foul odor probalby from the carpet and the ancient mattresses/pillows. Within minutes I told my wife and kids let's go someowhere else. But, we could not get out of the room...not kidding...the door was STUCK. And there was NO PHONE in the room...how can we call the front desk? What if there is a fire? I'm a very athletic and mechanically-inclined guy and it took me a good 5-10 mintues to shimmy the door open so we could escape this rancid pit. Except for the bathroom, the whole room smelled mildewy and musty. The carpet and furniture were ancient. The front desk manager was very rude. I approached him and politely explained what we observed, and I asked if he could find us another room in better condition, otherwise we will not be staying. He very smugly and sarcstically said he can vacuum, replace the sheets and fix the door ("will take he half hour...no problem.."). I told him no thanks, the room had additional issues and I don't think the lock on the door can be acceptably fixed by turning a screwdrive for a half hour. Then he said he would have to charge us for the first night but could cancel the other two. I told him NO- he had to cancel all three. He aggressively and argumentativley told me he was charging us for the first night and that's how it works. I told him he has to cancel the charges on all three nights because the room is unfit and I know this because I am an attorney and in my work I am aware of how things like this work. He said that if I am an attorney then I must know he has a "right to cure"-- (must have been sued before....waht a shocker). I told him it is late at night and we don't have to wait for him to try to fix the room's problems...we are canceling. Then, I kid you not, he says "You know what...I changed my mind...I am going to charge your for all three nights...too bad." UNBELIEVABLE customer service. I told him thanks for the warning and that I willl contact my credit card company and block his charges. He smirked and said "You do that." Then as I left he said "Good luck" very sarcastically. The credit card company was on the phone within minutes and said they will block his charges. And a much nicer hotel was able to put us in a room that opened up. So our weekend was great. Stay away from Motel Montreal.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
You are one of the most rude and obnoxious people that I ever had the displeasure of meeting and my day improved drastically when you slithered off of my property. As for getting sued, not quite. I was magna cum laude, Cornell Law School, class of 2007 you wretched piece of filth.

Been to Motel Montreal? Share your experiences!