“Great for a weekend getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Lake Ave, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Great for a weekend getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I wanted a break from the hustle and bustle of NYC. Choosing Lake George and Motel Montreal fit our budget. Originally, I went through booking.com but had some questions so I called Motel Montreal and spoke to Rob, the owner. He actually gave me a better deal and a pool-side room with free parking outside my door. Our room was newly renovated and the bathroom was clean, free Wi-Fi, the entire staff was very helpful and Lydia who cleaned our room was awesome. The location is PERFECT! Just a 2 minute walk leads to a small beach and also just a 7 minute walk into town, everything is accessible and affordable!
Sabrina

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you will return. Also, thanks so much for bringing the gifts for Joseph and Maxwell. By the way, your mention of Lydia made her day! She noticed the review before I did and ran into the office to tell us. I hope that you had a great trip back to New York and we can't wait to see you again.

Rob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brewster, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is my second year staying at the Motel Montreal. I see they upgraded to flat screen TV's, good move. Rob was very helpful, and personally came around in the rain with the cleaning person when my room was not cleaned when I was out earlier. This was no big deal to me since I was alone, and did not call him to complain! Good to know house phones are available since my new smartphone was acting up, but did not need it. All and all, a great trip. Missed a boat trip because of the rain, but nobody can control the weather. Hope to be up next year!

Room Tip: Rob, the owner, and staff are very helpful, and make your stay enjoyable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dan,

Thank you for staying with us again and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We constantly strive to improve our hotel and deliver great service for traveling families on a budget. Also, thank you for taking notice of the flat screen television upgrade. The more people notice our efforts, the wiser that I feel the investment was. I appreciate your business and I can't wait to see you again.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here in July of 2013 while visiting the Lake George area. Motel Montreal had decent ratings on tripadvisor so we decided to book. Overall, our experience was okay. I haven't experienced anything else in Lake George so I can't really compare. I can say that out of the three relatively budget motels we stayed it during our family vacation that took us to Niagara Falls, Suburban Buffalo and Lake George this motel was the MOST expensive and the LEAST impressive. However we have to admit that the resort status of Lake George probably played a big role in the price point of the motel which was less than an average hotel room in most major cities but more than most motels would normally cost. Our first impression and last was that it was like staying in a rustic cottage in a motel and resort-filled version of cottage country.

Since I am having difficulty accurately putting the stay into words let just do a pros and cons list:

Pros:
- Relatively cheap compared to other accommodations in and around Lake George
- Pool and BBQ patio for use by the guests
- Location: very easy walk (less than 5 minutes) into the very center of the village.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Decent/functioning cableTV
- Free Parking
- Fridge in Room
- Good AC
- Looks smells like a rustic cottage

Cons:
- Relatively expensive compared to what is available in other touristy places for the same price (Niagara Falls, for instance)
- Small, rustic Rooms
- Small, rustic bathrooms (no tub, only upright shower - not great for kids)
- Looks, smells like a rustic cottage.
- Thin Walls
- Can see outside through gab in room door
- Noisy fridge
- Beds are in need of an upgrade
- Wi-fi signal very weak (needed to be on the balcony to operate my iphone with wi-fi)
- When people walked or moved on the balcony the vibrations could be felt through into the room.

All in all we were underwhelmed by our experience here but it did meet our basic needs.

Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad that you found value in the property and enjoyed our great location and amenities.

We go out of our way to serve our guests and I am sorry that you were "underwhelmed" but, generally, our price point, location and attention to guests are our defining/overwhelming factors. True, we are not a brand new hotel and the rooms are on the small side but we never claim otherwise. The rooms are clean and we offer a deep discount (generally $100 per night or more) to the brand new hotels. If the point of your vacation is to spend time in the room, then you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if the point of your vacation is to get out and see all that Lake George and the Adirondacks have to offer, then you will be very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms, our money saving amenities, our pool and our team. The choice is always up to the guest and we are very honest about the product that we provide.

Rob Gregor
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I agree with a lot of the reviewers that the owner, Rob goes way beyond of being helpful to make sure that our week-long stay was as comfortable as possible. We needed some roadside assistance on our second day in Lake George and had tried everything we could at our end. Toting with two young children, I called Rob up and he immediately hooked us up with some contacts and had saved our day (Thank you Rob for all the help!). The room we stayed (leveled pool-side) was perfect for our family as we only used it to sleep only. We definitely felt safe even when there were times at night (10pm or 11pm) when we walked back to the motel from the village. There was a small fridge for snacks and drinks, coffee maker, air conditioner, hair dryer, flat screen TV, and Wi-Fi (very strong connection). During the week when we traveled, the weather was not very cooperative and decided to stay in for half day.... it was nice. We hung out in the pool - it has definitely met all of our expectations. We did use the grills, but it's probably not a bad idea to save some money and take a break from eating out everyday. The village was about a 10-15 minutes. This place is for those seeking for a budget-friendly, clean and well-kept. We will definitely come back the next time we're in Lake George.

Room Tip: choose leveled pool-side rooms.
Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for writing a review. It was a pleasure hosting your family and it was no trouble at all with the car. I truly welcome the opportunity to help when I can. I feel very lucky (most days) to be the owner of this hotel and I am glad that your family made it a part of your vacation. I am glad that you reached home safely and we can't wait to see you again.

Mahopac, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We found Motel Montreal through Motels.com. My boyfriend called the motel directly to ask about rates. He spoke directly to the owner Rob and was given a better rate than we found online. He said the owner was very friendly. We arrived a couple of hours before check-in and were greeted by the owner Rob. He was able to accommodate us by allowing us to check in early. We had a poolside Queen room. The room was small but we didn't go there planning to spend much time in the room so it was perfect for us. The room was very clean which was important to us, the pool was also very clean. We found the hotel to be very peaceful, it is a very short walk to the lake and to the village. We were able to get great deals on the attractions in the area right at the front desk. Rob and his staff were very friendly and helpful. We are already looking into returning to Lake George and we wouldn't think to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the review. I am glad that you called and booked direct. It is a little known secret of the hotel industry that the online travel agents charge high commission to hotels and I can ALWAYS do better (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) than what you are quoted online. I try very hard to keep my rates reasonable and deliver value to our guests and booking directly through the hotel is one way that guests can help us in this endeavor. Thank you for staying with us and we can't wait to see you next time.

North Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family and I just returned from our vacation to Lake George, It was my husband, myself and our 2 children! We stayed for 5 days and it was great. We got there early on our first day and stopped by the motel hoping to unpack and settle in. The owner, Rob, made the room available earlier then the 3pm check in time for us, which we greatly appreciated! He is very friendly and helpful, the motel was very clean, and he or his staff always made sure we had what we needed.The pool area as well as the picnic/grill area was very well kept. We cooked out a few nights on the grill and really enjoyed it. My children had a great time in the pool. Rob also had discount tickets to area attractions which was Fantastic. We saved a good amount of money buying tickets through him. ( We bought rodeo tickets and tickets to Water Slide World) The room also had a fridge and a microwave which was perfect, especially for snacks! We will definitely be back in the future!

Rob G, Owner at Motel Montreal, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure hosting you and your family and I am very glad/proud that we could save you some money on the tickets. We ran out of the $35 Great Escape tickets shortly after your departure and I wish that we could get more. I hope that you have a great rest of the summer and we hope to see you soon.

Rob Gregor
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights and found the Montreal Motel in Lake George great for the price, close to attractions, and clean rooms. We took advantage of the pool on our stay since the weather was really hot. Down the road was a small beach which we enjoyed as well. All in all a great little place , will def. return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Diana,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and our pool. We put a lot of work into the pool area over the winter and the guest response is tremendous. The mini-beach that we added is getting so much use that we might put more sand in next year. Thanks for the review and we hope to see you soon.

Rob

Been to Motel Montreal? Share your experiences!