“Misleading roquefort” 3 of 5 stars

2999 State Route 9L, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Staten Island, New York
“Misleading roquefort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband made dinner reservations for Valentine's day. He chose this location because he saw the 4 star review on Tripadvisor. We were about a half hour late for our reservation and when I called to advise them of this, they were very accommodating. The website menu did not reflect the menu that was given to us once we arrived. Another reason my husband was drawn to this menu was because they offered a variety of gluten free options, including gluten free desserts. We each ordered a salad and the New York Sirloin with roquefort and bacon. When the house salads arrived they contained goat cheese, not my favorite. When our steak arrived, not only was it cooked well done when I asked for medium, but the roquefort and bacon was goat cheese and prosciutto. I told the waitress that it was goat cheese and she corrected me by saying that it's the same thing as roquefort, really??? I explained to her that it was not. She apologized and asked if i wanted something else but I declined. When i asked for a dessert menu I was told that some things were seasonal and was given four options, none of them being gluten free, which was the main reason we decided on this restaurant. My husband asked for the check and was charged for the dinner that I didn't even eat. Typically, restaurants try to right a wrong by offering a drink or giving the option to remove the item from the check. Neither of those options were presented which left a bad taste (goat cheese) in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Christina,
Thank you for taking some time to share your thoughts on your past weekends dining experience. Yes, we did have an amended menu due to the success of our Valentine's Day Celebration. We did though keep a number of gluten free options on the menu. The sirloin was served with a Ewe Blue Cheese and bacon (there is no prosciutto on property). Our apologies for not correcting the steak temp right there at that moment. We also did have a gluten free chocolate polenta cake for dessert. The server who misspoke will be properly coached and re-trained on how to deal issues as this and menu questions going forward.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My boyfriend took me here for an overnight stay for Valentines Day. There was a package deal with a room and dinner. My first impression was pretty good, they showed us to our room and were very friendly. Once in the room I realized it was a very basic place. It was very dated looking, like it hadn't ever seen a remodel or upgrade. The bed was comfy and the tv was big, that's about the extent of the good part. We went to dinner that was included in the package which was very lovely, food was excellent.

We came back and settled into the room. There was champagne thee and chocolate covered strawberries. Nice touch. I then ventured to the bathroom....where it all went downhill for me. In the showers there was random stray hairs that did not belong to me. I have long dark curly hair, and the stray hairs stuck to the shower wall were red. Gross. I kept fining them in the shower, also found a few on the sink. The soap holder above the sink was obviously not cleaned, there was soap residue all over it. Let me also mention the horrible exhaust fan. It was like something from a prisoner of war torture session. Leave someone in a room with that noise for a half hour and they'll go mad. It was awful. It had a horrible rattling sound, almost that of an automatic popcorn popping machine....but worse. I couldn't handle it.

Needless to say I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Nancy A,
Thanks for joining us this past weekend. Our Valentine's Weekend Celebration has become very popular over the past couple of years. Our staff always excels in customer service and I am glad you found your champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and house made truffles a nice touch. I am also glad you enjoyed your dinner and that you and your boyfriend thought the food was excellent. I will be taking time with our front desk / housekeeping staff to go over your room issues and have some counseling / re-training sessions. We are also in the process of changing out all the bathroom fans to better serve our guests.
Fort Ann, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The WAIT House is a small non-profit that has a fall event every year for fundraising. Dunham's Bay Resort provided us with a professional, courteous staff to accommodate 230 people for our 2013 event. The food was excellent! The event was a huge success because of the professionalism of management and all staff. We will not hesitate to book future events with them. The resort is well planned out for events and has a great location. I have planned many events in the past and the event at Dunham's Bay Resort was truly one of our finest moments. Thank you Matt, Lynn and all at Dunham's Bay Resort!
Duane Vaughn
Executive Director
WAIT House

Room Tip: We only used the resort for our event. No one stayed overnight.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
dunhamsbay, Matthew Taormino HGM, GM Dunham's Bay Resort at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Duane,
Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone about your event at Dunham's Bay Resort. We were happy hosting this very special evening for The WAIT house. Helping out a group like yours who gives so much to the community is just something we can't do enough of here at the resort. We look forward to making the 2014 event just as big of a success for all involved.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Dunham resorts for 4 days and I had a great time there. I had a very comfortable room and the staff was very attentive. Sunday brunch was really great and the also have a great bar. The jacuzzi was awesome and we even had pool side ping pong.

Stayed December 2013
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Tarelle J,
Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your vacation with us here at Dunham's Bay Resort. I am glad you made time for our fantastic Sunday Brunch and that you enjoyed the heated indoor pool and Jacuzzi. We look forward to you joining us again real soon.
Matthew Taormino HGM
Cranberry Lake, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband and I chose Dunham's Bay Resort for our 9-1-2013 wedding. We were sold upon hearing about the firepit and relaxed timeline for our event. We also loved the location--it was quiet and slightly off the beaten path, while being near enough to everything else Lake George has to offer. Lynn and the staff were exceptionally accommodating and supportive throughout the entire planning process. Lynn offered just the right amount of direction to keep our plans on track, while perfectly executing our vision of our day. She was always easy to contact by phone or email.
We were blown away by the quality of service during our wedding weekend, as were our guests. Lynn and the staff set everything up beautifully for us. After planning every detail, I felt my plans were left in good hands once we were in Lake George, and I could relax! Throughout our wedding day, anytime I needed something, I barely had to look around and Lynn was right there to help out. It sometimes seemed she knew what I was going to need before I did, whether it was fixing my dress or taking something off my hands for me. At the end of the night, as I was hobbling out to the firepit carrying my shoes, she even showed up in a golf cart to surprise us with a lift!
We are still hearing rave reviews about the food Chef AJ prepared for us! Not your typical wedding food! The entire experience of planning our menu was so much fun! Everything was totally customizable, and with fresh, local ingredients wherever possible. They really are willing to work to make your ideas happen. We especially appreciated that they even packaged up some to-go boxes of our favorites and had them waiting for us in our cabin.
We chose to have a Sunday wedding of a long weekend, which, in my opinion was ideal. The day after our event, I looked around and couldn't fathom packing everything up right away. We ended up staying an extra night--no problem on the Monday following Labor Day. We were placed in a cabin for our wedding weekend, which was very spacious and nicer than what their online photos would suggest.
We highly recommend considering Dunham's Bay Resort as a wedding venue. Lynn and her staff are very professional, and worked so effectively with all of our other vendors. They made us feel important throughout the entire planning process, adding personal touches at every turn. They allowed us to feel confident in our wedding plans. Lynn and her staff are also very down-to-earth and were open and willing to work with us to stay within our budget. We found Dunham's Bay Resort to be a fantastic value when you figure in everything that is included! We cannot recommend them enough!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Jessica L,
Thanks so much for the kind words. As always our resort shines on wedding days. Lynn and Chef AJ are phenomenal at what they do. The best in the industry. Hope your able to visit us again soon.
Matthew Taomrino HGM
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed at Dunhams Bay 11/2-11/4, The room had a feel of something that you would rent by the hour not $110/day. There was no heat control in the room and and old air conditioning unit in the window allowed a flood of cold air into the room. The tub wouldn't drain properly the hot water knob on the bathroom sink was hard to get to turn on.

The good, the staff was very friendly and we had the pool and hot tub all to ourselves. All in all would probably stay at a chain hotel the next trip to Lake George.

At best this was a $50 a night or less hotel especially in the off season.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Garry R,
Sorry to hear that your stay was less than you expected. Glad you made use the indoor pool/hot tub. The issues you mentioned will be something my managers and I will meet about & correct as soon as possible. Thank's again for your visit and hope you return to visit Lake George soon.
Saint Johnsville, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My son and daughter-in-law were married at Dunham's Bay on 10/19/13. It all started with a wonderful stay with great service. We enjoyed the hot tub and pool and took many walks throughout the resort. It was an amazing wedding and great food. Everyone was served with a smile. Lynn was there for Michael and Genna from the time they first booked at Dunham's Bay right through their wedding. I highly recommend Dunham's Bay for any event or just a stay..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
dunhamsbay, General Manager at Dunham's Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Lori D,
Thanks for the kind words about Michael and Genna's recent wedding. We are so glad you and your guest made use of all Dunham's Bay Resort had to offer in addition to the very special event you attended. We hope you get a chance to return soon.
Dunham's Bay Resort

Been to Dunham's Bay Resort? Share your experiences!