“In need of a major upgrading” 3 of 5 stars

King Hendrick Motel & Cottages
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1602 State Route 9, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Ranked #65 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Croghan, New York
“In need of a major upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have to say the owners are very friendly. There are homemade muffins, scones, etc. available for breakfast in the morning. These are the qualities that prevent me from rating this as poor.

We stayed in the double cabin as we were traveling with another family. Both cabins had a bad smell to them. The bathrooms are in dire need up an upgrade. While the toilet looked new, the walls were the green & gold paneling from the 70's. The bathtub was also the classic green from the 70's and the calk around the tub was all cracked, pulling away from the tub and the wall. The air conditioner, while in working order, looks to be one of the first made.

I do understand that these were "cabins" and not a hotel room; however, the money we spent there in one weekend would pay for a few renovations.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I wound up spending Saturday Night at the King Hendricks, and must say I was quite surprised. The cabin while old was clean, the carpeting on the floors are new. It was quiet and peaceful. Upon checking in I was advised there would be a continental breakfast in the morning, I woke up figured I would grab coffee as not thrilled about donuts and to my surprise was continental breakfast. Fresh baked muffins, the scent of the baking was still in the air, a banana cake, but then came out scones.they were moist tender morsels with a citrus glaze. They encouraged guests to fill their travel mugs, coffee was hot and plentiful, there were a variety of teas. I know. I am raving about the food but it is because I am. Chef in the city and these baked good are made by a chef or someone who should be one. Thank you , I will make a reservation next time to guarantee a room

Room Tip: Great location between village of Lake George, shopping and Great Escape
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am writing this and I normally do not write reviews but felt the need. It seems many have written nasty reviews about this hotel and I just spent an entire weekend. First we were greeted like old friends, not guests , even the beagle named Guinness greeted us with a tail wag and my boys adored him. We stayed in the suites, they are beautiful, were spotlessly clean,housekeeping was wonderful and attentive. The pool is not heated but was so refreshing during the heat wave. I feel the couple that runs this really cares how the guest are treated.the one thing I must say that was most impressive was the breakfast, it should be served in high end restaurants, there was fresh plum coffee cake, a bread with sausage eggs and cheese in side, then this morning there were since and muffins with cream cheese in them as well s banana blueberry cake. I will be curious to see if a good review is posted. Thank you King Hendricks, we will see you next year.

Room Tip: The suites are great with children as they sleep 6
Reliance, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The website photos are really not what you will be staying in. We had a cabin and it was a tiny shack that smelled moldy and dirty. The carpets were super gross and it seemed like every thing we touched would fall apart on us. We booked a double cabin but all we had was a tiny room with 2 beds in it. The bathroom was very gross. The toilet was clean but the shower was horrible and looked liked it had never been cleaned. Our daughters never had any hot water when they showered. The owners were kind and very nice but for what we paid we could have done so much better. The pool is not heated. In fact it will go down as the coldest pool i have ever been in. There is also no up keep to it. There were tons of bugs in it.
The beds are very uncomfortable and very small. The door to the cabin Allso did not shut well. I locked but you could see it was warped and did not make me feel safe at all. The location is very good . On weekends the owner does make a lot of food which was good but there is nothing during the week. Not even a pot of coffee.
I did not find it cheap and I wish I had done my homework before going . I would go back to lake George but definitely not t the king Hendricks.

Room Tip: Go to another place.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This "motel" is gross. The cabins are dirty, there is mold in the showers, and there are cockroaches. My sister and I were there ten minutes and we felt dirty just being in the room, the staff apparently don't know how to clean and are very rude!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night and it was awful. The grounds are unkempt, the rooms are ok to look at but they are actually very dirty and unclean The bedding and towels were very dirty. Some towels even had blood stains on them. There was a leak in the bathroom which made the bathroom smell. The provided us with a barbecue grill which was rusted and dirty and totally unusable. Lastly their air conditioning is central with no control in individual rooms. So one cannot adjust the temperature as per their convenience. So you have to adjust with the set temperature whether you are too hot or cold. The place has a run down neglected feel. Besides, its isolated and away from the lake and costs almost the same to stay in one of the places much closer to the lake. The only good thing was that there were fresh baked homemade scones and muffins for breakfast but other than that there was nothing not even toast. I really would never stay here again and honestly recommend others not to.

Room Tip: the cottages are better located than the suites. By this i mean thats the better amongst the worst
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a night during the labot day weekend. The cabins are cute but the rooms needs serous overhauls, trhey were not maintained or cleaned properly. It is ok for the price. The best part about the motel was the staff, the owner was agood cook and served homemade breakfast of scones, sweet rolls, banana bread etc which was a delightful and unexpected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to King Hendrick Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!