“Definite Breakfast Must” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Definite Breakfast Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We were seated right away and greeted by a friendly waitress that took our orders immediately and before we knew it our food arrived. Everything was perfect and tasted great. we have 5 members to our family and all of us raved about our experience. the menu is packed; there is something for everybody. I highly recommend this restaurant for breakfast goers!!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good Food; Odd Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Food here for breakfast was very good- very odd service though. If you order from your waitress (who comes right over and takes your drink order), you pay full price. Or- you can take your menu and order at a counter and receive a 15% discount (and supposedly save on tip). We ordered at the counter, our same waitress brought out our food and came back around and refilled our coffee and such, and then brought us our check. Seemed rather odd- the only thing different was giving our order to the counter rather than the waitress and we got a discount. We still tipped our normal amount, since the waitress did everything she normally would except take our order- it was just somewhat confusing why they would do this- and many of the other customers there were confused as well.

Visited August 2014
Pancakeboss, Owner at Lake George Pancake House, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Brian, or Mr. Brian (sorry, not too sure first or last) Thank you for taking the time to review constructively. (breath of fresh air.) Now I'm going to explain this and if I do a good job I expect you'll push us another star. What confuses people apparently is the 15% discount if, like you said, all you have to do is step up and order on your own. Please allow me to operate the business so that you can prosper. Don't spend your time attempting to read my mind, there's really nothing left of it and that's why you're coming up empty. You save, end of story. You want to know why you are getting the discount? Second best answer: Because you saved us time. And time is money in a high volume business. It's the same as when a person selects a buffet while the rest of his party selects the waiter. Only with us, you can select from the entire menu and receive a 15% discount. People don't mind stepping up, and they love the discount, they just seem stuck on why we would do this. Best answer: Why? Because we like you. (by the way if you tipped the waiter you disregarded the sign and the menu that states no tipping if you step up and order on your own) Face it, you're just a nice guy.
“Breakfast and a Bit More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We went twice, first time with seven. All chose to self order. The 15% savings is a plus and they bring food to the table anyway, so, like why not. I'll place my own order. The place is clean. My husband swears the men's room is new, so that's pretty clean. Now here's the thing and I hope this helps after reading the others reviews, which I read in the car and finished reading at the table. They serve the usual breakfast fare at what I would describe as reasonable resort prices, ranging from $7.50 to $12.50. Kid's meals are less and their drinks free. This is where you can get tempted. Our kids still ate adult meals at &10 a pop! It's just hard to resist spending more in this place. Here I'm trying to pin point the review gripes on tripadvisor as being the fault of the restaurant or just people who don't like who they wake up next to. The turning point it's the menu. This place moves ahead of the rest with its more advanced dishes. I had peanut butter French toast, warm melted spread, fresh grilled and cold bananas, and fresh strawberries. It's all real staff and it's all tasty. The steak served with eggs and potato was eye popping, not your everyday breakfast sampling. The tone there is aggressively original. They've got heads all over the place staring at you. Even the broom handle by the fireplace had eyes peering at you. You get the feeling that as far as they're concerned if you don't understand what's good, you may as well go somewhere else. No really, the first sign you read when you walk through the door gives the names and nearby addresses to other breakfast houses. The first sign! My husband had a florentine crepe, spinach, onion, scrambled eggs inside and hollandaise sauce on top, with a huge side of polish kielbasa. He didn't look up from his plate once and ate every bite. The others in our party spanned the menu, the chocolate chop raspberry getting most attention. You could smell the cooked raspberries in the pancakes from across the table. And that's what happens you want to order more. So if attractive dishes make this a "tourist trap", than this is a tourist trap, or maybe it's just raining. They don't put a gun to your head, that just put a menu on front of you. You can order less or order something else that cost less, but you probably won't. Because they're going to get you! Back to still more signs: they have policies laid out everywhere; sort of like a FAQ wall dealing with everything from allergies to why they only take credit cards in ATM, to explaining to people that their American cheese is white because they prefer not to sell cheese with orange food coloring. Speaking of color; the plates are all different colors. The walls are all different colors. The art work is also quite pleasing and yes very colorful. To sum up, as far as having their own identity, this eatery is on its own; like it or not. Yes, we went back the next day. I just had to have those raspberry chocolate chip pancakes before we left. I knew they'd get me. And, what's funny I think is that they knew they'd get me.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pancakeboss, Owner at Lake George Pancake House, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Start with your sense of humor (I think), and thanks for coming back to have your Raspberry Pancakes. Last two seasons there was a loud sign hanging on the wall of wonder when you entered the pancake house. It told people not to order too much food. We actually warned people not to order too much right on the menu up until three weeks ago when we ran out of room on the menu and had to remove the warning. People think its nuts. There is a practical application. On our website, under the opinions, emails and weirdo section (about us tab) we ask people to order responsibly and to order one meal per person. It's just a suggestion. People looking to save should inform the waiter, step up to the breakfast bar and order, and 15% will be taken off the bill. It's a time and money saver for the house and so we kick back. (although people think that's nuts because they can't figure out why we give them the discount. I think people think too much. Not you of course.) As you pointed out, customers might stick to traditional items, what I refer to as IHOP type dishes. IHOP would never attempt to make our specialty dishes for more than ten minutes. and, certainly not with fresh ingredients. (By the time the commercial is over they've already discontinued the item.) It's too much pressure on the kitchen, too much cost to the restaurant, and the margin on these specialty items is not as profitable to the house, even though they cost the customer more. (The dilemma: They taste great and they're different and you're on vacation.) The simpler the breakfast, the more money the house makes. So why make them? People who order them have been coming for years. You mentioned the heads and the eyes on the broom (wow) and how they always seem to be watching. Interesting observation.
Stamford, Connecticut
“Good food and reasonable too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Great place to stop for breakfast as you heading out of town or any day while you're visiting Lake George. Service was excellent, coffee hot and refillable, and the food is good. Noted that the restaurant does and annual St. Jude Children's Research Hospital benefit - this year August 6, 2014. They also donate 100% of the proceeds raised from kid meal sales. Doesn't get much better than this.

Visited July 2014
Thank you for your kind words. These are frightened children suffering unyielding pain. They don’t know what’s happening. They stare into a ceiling not knowing why they have been chosen. These are young moms and dads confronted with absolute horror. They have already vowed to trade their own lives in exchange for the lives of their children. We all do, but most are never driven to that very instant; that which makes it so real. This autumn you might see St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital requesting donations on television. Watch the last few seconds, a dad removing an infant’s oxygen mask ever so quickly just so he might kiss the infant child. Just to kiss his baby. If everyday we took just one second to recognize how lucky we are as compared to these families, we might show more tolerance to what is so frivolous. If any one of us is so lucky not to have their problem, than we have no problem. It seems sometimes that society has forgotten what truly is a problem. Again, thank you for comprehending; it’s not about eggs over easy and raspberry pancakes.
Oakville, Canada
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

You can save 15% if you go up to counter to order yourself???or can be served....weird to have ask the server who comes to your table about this and have then walk away. Have say the worst coffee have ever had....had to make it a triple, triple to make it drinkable. Food came out erratically...I was half finished my apple cinnamon crepe before the half stack of pancakes can out for my son. Warning...They only take cash!!! What kind of place that offers anything over $5 these days only takes cash....not acceptable and an insult to the hospitality industry....so many alternatives...so little time!

Visited August 2014
Pancakeboss, Owner at Lake George Pancake House, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Ringer review: You loved another breakfast place in Lake George, but decided not to go back and come to the Pancake House? Oh, such a sad fake review. Nobodys trying to be somebodys through the power of the internet and a free breakfast elsewhere. I'll respond anyway- Madam, we can't read your mind, you need to tell us. Whether it be the Venetian in Vegas or the Doubletree in Melborne Florida, if a restaurant offers a choice of table service or a buffet or breakfast bar, that's how it works. A waiter asks, you inform. What's so strange? Other than you being a ringer for another empty restaurant, what's the beef? As for cash only. Use the ATM. We're among many Lake George restaurants who request patrons to use their cards at the ATM. By the way, you knew that when you walked in. You also knew about choosing table service or going self serve for the 15% savings. The signs are huge. And this "choice" is described on the entire center page of the menu. If you knew immediately about the ATM and the choice of service, why did you stay, why did you order if not to make something out of nothing so you could plug your friend's restaurant. By the way, a cook called us from that restaurant several years back to inform us that the owners put in a bad review on the pancake house. After 22 years, and everyone taking their best shot, haven't they learned that we're not going anywhere? (Classic ringer review - read other ringer reviews, jump on a negative theme and pile on.) As snide as I could write this response, restraining myself knowing trip advisor will protect its stock price by probably not allowing this response, I'll bet you come back next year anyway.