“Dirty place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lake George Escape Campground

and 1 more site!
You added Lake George Escape Campground to your Saves list
Lake George Escape Campground
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   East Schroon River Road, Lake George, NY 12845   |
“Dirty place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

We came here two years ago and it was a nice place. This year we were very disappointed. The place overall is filthy. There is garbage all over the place. On our walk through the grounds, we saw everything from underwear and toothbrushes laying on the ground for days. The place is far from a nice resort to visit. The sites are overgrown with weeds and the fire pits were not cleaned out and filled with garbage upon arrival. I can honestly say stay away from this place as I will never visit again.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

we were 16 adults and one kid and rented 4 tent sites for the weekend. the tent sites around us were pretty empty too but friday night we got warned TWICE that we were too loud as some of us were walking to the restrooms. saturday night it was the same and angered us as they kept coming back whereas we were not drunk, not blasting a boom box or going into other people's camp grounds. we were merely sitting around the fire and talking.

the restrooms never had toilet papers and was dirty with bugs inside. The people over here were not that well behaved either rather we all felt they were being pretty racist as we heard other campers being loud and not not asked to quiet down.

Not going back, completely ruined out vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I got to this "RESORT" as it is called. The prices for a Full hookup are $79 dollars on the weekend and $59 on Weekdays. These site are considered PREMIUM sites but most Campgrounds (CG) would be charging $35 a night. The map shows a river all around the CG but trust me it isn't there. The grounds themselves are unkept, high grass, dusty dusty roads, and absolutely no grass on your "premium" site. I would stay away from this dump.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'll admit I was a little leery after reading some of these reviews, but the campground had all of the amenities my family likes, so we gave it a shot! We have 3 tweens and we arrived to have a site right near some of the bath houses (804). I did read about staying away from the Woodland Grill and thought we would be, but it was fine-turn on the A/C in the pop up and you don't hear the music from the DJ (who does play every eve except Sundays).

The atmosphere is a 'resort' style. If you want peace and quiet-there are plenty of areas to camp to get that. If you want to be near the pools, activities, etc, you will have the music noise. It is what it is. That being said-we had fun here!

Activities-the boys just embraced playing dodgeball on a daily basis and I couldn't believe there were over 50 people (kids/adults) playing! The pool is out in the sun-no umbrellas, but the scenery around it is breathtaking. We did go tubing one day and that was relaxing. Some of the other activities were a little young for my crew, but they went fishing or did other stuff. We did enjoy the wagon ride with the music-fun!

As for the cleanliness of the showers... I felt the staff was cleaning the showers/bathrooms where we were quite a bit during the day. I think if one person uses the shower, then the floors will get dirty. It is what it is-you're camping. The showers by 804 were pretty nice-no mold that we saw. Also, the laundry facilities were great-lots of washers/dryers as well as some folding areas and a sink.

The campsites were huge! We had a good amt of shade, but now have to deal with sap clean-up on the camper and vehicle.

All in all-we had a great trip-most of the workers there were nice. They set up our excursions (Ft. William Henry and Minnie Ha-Ha) at a cheaper price. I know they seem to be particular about certain things (like their website had a coupon for tubing that says 2011 and I wasn't allowed to use it-but I tried). Our kids are asking when we're going to come back! I think the boys want more dodgeball!

Room Tip: Quieter sites are by the river. Noisier/activity area spots are near the pool and from the entrance...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Long Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We spent our last week at Lake George Escape last summer. We had been going to Lake George RV park for years. We bought a canoe and wanted to try LG Escape for the river. We spent many awesome vacations here. The place was family owned and operated when we started going. I loved the cafe' and the dj on the weekend. It was a great family place. For $20 we could get a speghetti dinner for 4 with salad. It was a terriffic family friendly place. A few years back the campground was sold a big corporation. Now it is all about the dollar. The amount of tenters is ridiculous. They let kids destroy the beach by digging giant holes in it. The laundry facilities were closed half the time. And they nickel and dime you at every turn. Sadly we will not be going back. This year it is back to Lake George RV Park. Still family owned. Will be reviewing them in a few weeks.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
marlboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This was our families first trip to lake George and you never know how a campground is going to be. Well let me tell you , the people are wonderful I have three kids 19, 10, and 8. Activities are always on time and someone is always there to help the kids. They provided stuff for a large s'mores cookout. Also, gave the kids great prizes for winning a activities. The office staff was very nice, bought tickets for a boat ride in town. Free papers in the office daily. As for the DJ music never was it that loud. We will go back again. Stayed in a travel trailer.

• Stayed June 2012
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just spent 5 days at Lake George Escape. This was our first trip camping in Lake George so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have been to camping grounds in Quebec, Ontario, PEI and Florida and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The rental itself was dated, we had reserved a log cabin but for whatever reason they ended up giving us a trailer. I asked to change but they didn't have anything available to suit our family. At first we were disappointed in our location but once I got a feel for the camp, I was happy where we were located, far from the noise and crowds (very crowded near the pool, park and grill) but close enough to walk to the general store (about 10 minutes). Because of the location there were few campers nearby. My kids could ride their bikes without my having to worry about them bothering other campers and no worries for their safety. The rental could use some updating, window were filthy and the awning was non-existent but the place was clean and not a bug to be seen. Bunk beds were not twin but rather single and the top bunks are unsafe because there aren't any guardrails.
Activities are plenty and there are a lot of games for the kids. No shade at the pool and the "heated" pool was cold. The beach is small but good enough for little kids who want to dig in the sand, but it is a distance and we had to take the car (too far from our site for the kids to bike to).
This is supposed to be a kid friendly camp ground but I was very angry and disappointed when at the park with my son (about 15 minutes walk from our site) and he needed a drink. I didn't bring my wallet with me so we went to the grill right next door to ask for a glass of water (no water fountains anywhere) and they refused to give him a drink. They wanted to sell us a bottle of water. I explained that I didn't have my wallet and that it was a far walk but still she refused and very rudely. Not impressed.
Overall the stay was okay but I am not sure we would go back. Maybe, but only if there was a special or something...

Room Tip: On the map of the grounds, the area to the left is the quietest but furthest from activities. Bring...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lake George Escape Campground? Share your experiences!