“Gone downhill since bought by Encore” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lake George Escape Campground

Save Saved
You added Lake George Escape Campground to your Saves list
Lake George Escape Campground
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   East Schroon River Road, Lake George, NY 12845   |
“Gone downhill since bought by Encore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

I'm at Lake George Escape as I write this review. I've been coming here for nearly 20 years. This was an outstanding place when owned by Don and Kathy. Now that it has been purchased by Encore nothing has been maintained. It is all about money and nothing else. It seems that Encore does not want to spend money to maintain this campground, this place is getting run down, everything is getting old and worn out, nothing is being fixed or replaced. Don and Kathy would have never let LGE get in this condition...... Too bad it used to be a great place

• Stayed July 2011

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

First time at the Lake George Escape Campground because our usual place was completely booked : (. This was our annual family vacation.

Ok, here's the good stuff: Big campground with great scheduled activities daily for the entire family. Must do the Kayaking and tubes down the Schroon River but take your bug spray everywhere you go. Very friendly staff. Speedy check in. Our site was very spacious (624), although had some dog feces upon arrival. Great ammenities and wonderful campstore!!!

Things you should know: Ponds are more like swamps. Entire campground was infested with mosquitos. Had an alergic reaction as so did my daughter. I was hoping that the reviews about the mosquitos were an exageration but it wasn't. Wi-fi is advertised available around the lodge and the restaurant. It was extremely slow making almost impossible to connect to any website. Showers not clean. No lifeguard at the pool, which i was ok with that, but dogs were thrown in the pool, beer cans lined up along side of pool. Shouldn't there be a policy for this? Staff were there but nothing was done about it. I was there with my family and left when saw that nothing was done. Now that I had a problem with.

Needless to say, the bad outweighed the good and so we decided to shorten our vacation and will not be returning : (

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Bottom Line: excellent service, good facilities, adequately clean -- we'd go again!

We rented a 28 foot cabin. It was small but very efficient. Small is expected and acceptable because most of the time we are outside when we are "camping." We found a couple minor issues with the cabin that maintenance promptly fixed.

It was quiet when we were there because there were few people. The entire staff was very busy gearing up for the big opening weekend of the season in a few days so office/store hours were minimal, and many of their nice amenities were not operating yet. None the less, the staff worked to be sure our needs were met. One gave us excellent tips on good hiking in the area which took us to some wonderful, off the beaten path trails.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Kissimmee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I was hoping for a great vacation and this one was the worst. Most of the staff was nice but this place is way over rated. The General Manager has no clue on how to run a Camping Resort. Most of the Oncore Camp Grounds I've been to in the last few years have been terrible I thought I would try one more time, never again!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Having been to a ton of different campgrounds since I was a child, I've seen my fair share of yucky dirty campgrounds. Lake George Escape is nothing but EXCELLENT. The showers and bathrooms are constantly being cleaned throughout the day. The amenities are fantastic and the list of activities goes on and on. Until the minute you leave, don't expect to see your children...there's just way to much for them to do. And don't think the adults ever get bored. There's a grill cafe right on the property stocked with a full bar! You can't really ask for much better. This place has quality written all over it. Just one thing to pay attention to: besides the showers located by the main lodge, all the others seem to run out of hot water. I suggest making the extra trek to the lodge if you want a hot shower in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
West Milford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Yes, this is a "Lake George Resort" I was unimpressed on several levels. Firstly, I drove for 3 1/2 hours to check in & they lost my reservation. I reserved and paid a month in advance of my stay. They wanted me to pay again & then when I proved that I paid they would reimburse me. I asked for a computer & pulled my bank statement & proved my payment. It took over 45 minutes to check in. Although they did accomodate us it felt begrudgingly. The sites were not level & for $65 not that fabulous. Yes, there are activities. the pool is small but nice. the bar area, DJ, etc was great. I was very disappointed to see that in the tent areas there are NOT bath houses - but port-o-potties and dirty, disgusting ones at that. The toilets & bath houses are toward the front. this is not typical in my experience. All in all, we had fun. My trip was skewed from the beginning - but again, I was unimpressed. I've had much better sites with the same activity level for $65 a night & real bath houses...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

This was our first trip to the Adirondacks and we couldn't have picked a better place to camp! The location is wonderful and the activities made us want to come back to the campground earlier in the day. You can stay at this campground all week and never be bored. Tubing and kayaking access from the campground is awesome! You won't want to miss the fun wagon rides or Bingo nights! Every evening, our kids would head for the dance after riding their bikes for hours around the flat roads of the campground. The adults would sit at the bar and have a few drinks while we listened to the DJ. I also enjoyed picking up my free local newspaper at the store every morning. We had no problems with hot shower water like some people mentioned in previous reviews. Although this was a top rated campground for us, there is always room for improvement. I would suggest a laundry facility on the north side (30 amp) of the campground. Both laundry facilites are presently located in the same area. I would also like to see some updates to the pool. They need a spray structure or slide for the younger kids as well as a hot tub for the adults. If these changes were made, I would .give this campground a perfect 10.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lake George Escape Campground? Share your experiences!