“Credit card double charged” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Forest Hill Motel & Cottages

Forest Hill Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
Forest Hill Motel & Cottages
You added Forest Hill Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
3109 Lake Shore Drive, PO Box 806, Lake George, NY 12845   |
Ranked #46 of 90 Hotels in Lake George
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Credit card double charged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding to save a few $. Rooms were basic but fine.

Here's the problem. My credit card was double charged. I've called twice to get it resolved - first time the person who answered said he would call me back. The next time, I got a voicemail. I disputed with my CC company and got a refund.

This kind of experience gives me less faith in the "mom & pop" type place. This would never happen at a chain.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seymour, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom cabin. If you're into retro, this is the place for you. There is no room service if you're staying in the cabins, so don't expect it. You also need to bring your own towels. The furnishing is old and tacky but the kitchen area and supplies (fridge, coffee maker, toaster, stove, sink) made up for it. We brought our own breakfast groceries and saved a lot of $$$ by not going out to breakfast. It was nice to have coffee on the front porch in the morning. However, the shower stall was nasty, crusty and rusty and once you close the shower curtain you are immersed in pitch-blackness, even with the bathroom light on. My kids were terrified to take a shower!! The mattress was in excellent shape (I ALWAYS check hotel matresses!!), but although the pillows and linens may be clean, they were old and stained. If you stay here, bring your own pillows/sheets/blankets!! Other than that, it's in a convenient, quiet location. The grounds are well kept and the pool was clean. Good place to stay for a family with kids looking for a low-budget weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows blankets and sheets!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brewster, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just arrived home from the Lake George Adirondack weekend I go for every year, although this year decided to try something along these lines. I did enjoy it but there were several downfalls.

When my boyfriend and I first arrived we were welcomed by an older woman who didn't speak very good english and told me my total was $264.28. I tried explaining to her several times that I did send a $200 deposit and was told by a gentlemen on the phone that if there was an issue recieving the deposit he would call me. She showed me on a list that there was no deposit for my name, and she couldn't do anything about it. I then proceeded to call my mother asking her to verify her account online (from which the check was sent) and she did have the account number for the Inn. She than called her son (I guess who had helped me on the phone prior to my stay) and he verified my deposit and did not mark it down. This was a simple mistake, however, I think anyone who runs a family-operated place, should have all means of communication to prevent things like this happening.

It's quiet at night which is nice, the property was well maintained, so it seems but it changed when I walked into cottage #1.

The smell right away was basement-like, and the airfreshners inside were growing mold. The rooms needed to be aired out. The first thing I do when I walk into a hotel/motel is peel back the sheets. There was several hairs in the bed all throughout and dust/linen as well. A complete downfall but as I always do, I use my own sheets blankets and pillow. The refrigerator /freezer kept nothing cold or frozen and there was mouse droppings all within the pots pans, and utensils provided in the cabinets for us to use...

When I first walked into the bathroom I nearly broke my leg slipping on a wet floor due to leaking pipes under the toielt which didn't flush well- it had a cooking pan underneath. And there were ants on the floor throughout the weekend.

I did like the size of the cottage, the location, and the friendliness, however I do believe there isn't any housekeeping, and if the effort was there, this place could have been such a better experience.

My own thoughts, were as soon as I checked out, they change the garbages, arrange everything the way it was, and put linens on the bed, and that's all. I go to Lake George every september, and throughout the weekend, a shock to me was the Forest Inn DID have vacancy.

I would use this as a last resort, and a last resort only. Look around before coming here, I could've had a warm bed, in a well maintained friendly hotel for the same exact price.

Room Tip: Visit them first
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Older property, landscaping was nice during the summer. Exterior was clean and well kept. The lower (newer) hotel portion with the office appears to be unused and for sale. The cabins were full the night we arrived, so our only choice was a room in the older motel on the left, with the painted wooden front porch.

The inside of the room was last updated in the 70s --- which is fine, except the carpet was grungy, there were bits of food in the dining chairs, and the floor was uneven and stumbled upon many times.

The worst part was the musty basement smell. I would assume they don't air these rooms out during the winter.

Linens clean, bathroom OK, microwave, heat/ac and fridge worked. Off the beaten path so not noisy at night. Easy to park right in front of your room. No restaurant on premises (any more).

If this is the only place in town with vacancy (as it was for us), go for it. Otherwise, keep driving.

Room Tip: Cabin if possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ogunquit, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

i stayed in the 2 bedroom cottage with my friend and her 2 children. The grounds and pool were clean. the owner's were VERY accomadating. We would definetly go back. Right on Trolley line and very conveinent

Room Tip: rustic and clean
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Forest Hill Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!