“Cozy retreat in the heart of the Adirondacks” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 restaurants in Lake Clear
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Long Island City, New York
“Cozy retreat in the heart of the Adirondacks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Although we were just passing through, my girlfriend and I decided to stop by Hohmeyer's Lake Clear Lodge for dinner. I had heard of the place before, and since we had time (in previous experiences at similar establishments, I know that service in them can be slower than an average sit down restaurant), we decided to stop in.

We first were ushered by one of the owners of the lodge to the downstairs area of the lodge: a cozy room with a bar, fireplace, and comfortable seating. The owner allowed us to look in their "Rathskellar," where we saw various beers and wines from all of the world. After taking a few minutes to look at the large selection, I resorted to going with a white wine recommended by the owner. After my girlfriend got her drink, we sat by the fire to warm up and hear the nights dinner specials. Since we were both hungry and indecisive, we decided to order their New Years platter, which consisted of roast pork, sauerbraten, and chicken schnitzel. Being not too familiar with German cuisine, I did what I normally do and trusted the owner of the lodge.

Eventually, my girlfriend and I made our way upstairs and found a table in our own corner of the dining room. The decor in the dining room was true to the Adirondack style, down to the hand made wooden napkin ring holders.

It wasn't long before our waitress brought out some bread to start our meal along with a homemade celery soup, which was just enough to warm us up for dinner. When the main course came out, we started right away. I found everything on the plate to be quite good, and liked the touch of roasted vegetables on the side.

Once everything was finished, we got the chance to give our compliments to the chef and she wished us well on our travels. The hospitality of the family that operated the lodge was warm and inviting, and I would recommend this stop to anyone passing through the area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Orlando, Florida
““Thoroughly Enjoyable””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay, on the quiet place in the Adieondacks. We got bikes and rode into the quiet paths they have, it was nice to get away from that everyday hustle and bustle of the city. The views were beautiful. We were here in june and could view the sunset over the water from the lawn was amazing . Enjoyed the our meals on through out the week and my husband can't wait to go back!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nyc
“The good and the bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Cosy atmosphere great. Overpriced, inedible food with secret up charges. Warm vibe turns sour when the food arrives.

Visited December 2012
Syracuse, New York
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Dinner was horrible and way over priced. A little planning by the owners could go a long way especially when they are not in a high traffic area like LP or SL but 10-20 miles out.

Visited June 2012
Saranac Lake, New York
“Truly a gem in the Adirondacks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Family owned and operated. Way off the beaten path in beautiful Lake Clear. The wine and beer cellar is just amazing (a must see)! The owner presents that night's menu verbally. You and your dinner guests relax downstairs on comfy couches and chairs until your meal is almost ready. You are then lead upstairs to your table. Everything on their menu is locally grown and raised! And I mean everything. Delicious freshly prepared meals by the lady of the lodge (Chef Kathy). A must do if in the Saranac Lake or Lake Placid or Tupper Lake area.