“Restaurant needs management help!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Restaurant needs management help!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Coming back to upstate New York remembered this restaurant has was off Interstate 87 at Kingston and would be a convenient stop for dinner. Called from the road and they said they didn't have any table but could sit at the bar. Young lady who answered the phone was very unprofessional and sounded like a kid on her first job. She said we could be served at the bar as there were no table available. Asked to take my name if a table became available and said she couldn't. We took our chances and arrived at the restaurant and found it to be loud but were able to find room at the bar. Ordered drinks and asked for menus which we received. Between football games on flatscreen tv's and a live band playing it was real noisy. Bartender said she would take our order but had to hound her for attention. Some older man was behind the bar and just ignored us. He was more interested in stacking menus in a pile! Another waiter was counting and piling money behind the bar into stacks by denomination. Finally got the bartenders attention and tried to order. Bartender then said the kitchen was closed and could not take our orders! Unbelievable!!! Restaurant filled with young servers not caring other than making sure people at the bar got additional drinks. Never experienced this in all the years traveling worldwide. Maybe a consultant should come in and teach customer service beginning with how to handle a telephone call! Surely will not add this to a visit in the future coming upstate. This restaurant leaves a lot to be desired! On a lighter note, the mens room was filthy and had to use toilet papers to dry my hands. Not worth the effort to patronize!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Red Hook, New York
“Avoid, Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Went for brunch today. Food was terrible and waiter called to replace plates at the buffet that were dirty and had to be called back because some of the plates that he brought back were also dirty.

Food on the steam table was lukewarm rather then hot. Had to ask the waiter to identify one of the meat dishes on the steam table. It looked like sliced London broil with gravy but we weren't sure. The waiter said it was steak, however after taking a bite found out that it was liver and it was not very good.

I had a pancake which was dry and hard around the edges as though it had been frozen then reheated too long in the microwave.

I had ordered eggs benedict. It was served to me even though one of the eggs had broken when it was put on top of the English muffin and the yolk was mixing with the sauce. As for the Canadian bacon, the slice was so thin and small it could hardly be tasted.

The price of the buffet was $ 15.95 and the buffet was small, containing only 3 meat dishes- liver, shriveled sausages and overly fried bacon.

There were a few salads, potato, pasta and mixed green, smoked salmon with the fixings, a cheese platter, fruit platter and Danish pastry platter. There were no juices on the buffet. Coffee was included.

I remember going there for dinner about 30 years ago and never went back and now I know why. I will never to there again, I wrote on their comment card that in order to improve the restaurant, they needed new management and a new chef.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Why has the board of health not closed this dump!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was by far one of the worst experiances I've ever had in a restaurant and I've eaten at sonic! The waitstaff clearly juvinile, and hoping to shake someone down for a tip. The food wasn't just bad it looked like something from a nightmare. Not wanting to send it back for fear of what else they might send out I dug in. And later that evening found myself wishing I could afford to visit the nearest hospital.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, New York
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Atmosphere is fabulous and the views are breathtaking. The food is very good as well as the service. They have an antipasta salad bar that is very good and is enough to eat by itself. Great place to have a special occasion and/or party. The outdoor dining area is great and they even have a firepit for the added romance factor.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stone Ridge
“With Boitson's in town, who needs this?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having had a memorably dreadful meal here 30 years ago, I was surprised to have it recommended recently by two different people I chatted with at the bar at Boitson's. So, when I needed a meal on a Tuesday when Botison's is closed, I tried it. It's still dreadful, but thankfully, since I am now much older, I won't remember this meal 30 years from now. The "antipasto bar" was unimaginative and dreary (pepperonci from a jar is a typical offering, the lettuce in the salad was rotting, and the pre-wrapped butter pats were freezing cold and hard as a rock). My surf 'n' turf was strangely inconsistent: the shrimp and scallops flavorful and moist, the fries crisp and tasty, but the filet mignon was cold. Since the place was pretty empty, I cannot understand why the kitchen had timing problems. I ate at the bar, and the bartender, though friendly, did not have an instinct for service. Over these last 30 years food in the area has improved greatly, but not here.

• Visited April 2013